Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

It would be spending your money as effectively as possible.  Now we’re stuck with second & their tier free agents or just nothing to spend it on.  But hey, I wouldn’t want to love Moncada around again.

No. You go get Gerrit Cole instead. Yes, it costs more. Yes, it's more risky. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

It would be spending your money as effectively as possible.  Now we’re stuck with second & their tier free agents or just nothing to spend it on.  But hey, I wouldn’t want to love Moncada around again.

Technically, spending the money as best as possible would be on SP and RF.  The Sox have a 3B and a 2B.  I hear ya tho.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Technically, spending the money as best as possible would be on SP and RF.  The Sox have a 3B and a 2B.  I hear ya tho.  

Technically, Moncada could have played wherever the Sox wanted him to, including right field.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is also why I’m pretty confident 10 for 360 gets Betts. These symbolic milestones matter but Sox just want to play footsie with next best offer constantly.

Betts is going to want to get $400M. Not as much as Trout, but close. 

My opinion is 400M is the magic # for Betts. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Only if they are a certain quality level. But no OF option this year was as well rounded as Rendon (or good offensively).

Obviously I’d have signed stras or Cole but when they were off this still was the most affordable and best use of money.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245
1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Technically, Moncada could have played wherever the Sox wanted him to, including right field.

Could have?  Sure.  The guys is an elite defensive 3B though, and has maybe never played OF since he was a kid.  Definitely hasn't as a pro. The Sox were never going to sign Rendon, but yah, would have been fun. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

We claimed to be next best again?

No, just saying when they negotiate they focus exclusively on their competition and give no credence to what player may value themselves at. It was important for Rendon to hit being the highest paid 3b by AAV and it clearly wiped out competition but it got the guy.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Only if they are a certain quality level. But no OF option this year was as well rounded as Rendon (or good offensively).

Obviously I’d have signed stras or Cole but when they were off this still was the most affordable and best use of money.

Yah - those guys are available next year.  Will the Sox get em?  Probably not, but it makes sense.  

14 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

(I’m not saying you think one of those big 3 should have been the backup plan...I’m just genuinely curious what would qualify as a good backup plan.)

I know this will sound kind of dumb, but if I knew was unable to pursue Cole or Strasburg, I would have gone after Corbin last winter and given myself two chances to land a potential TOR starter (along with Wheeler this year).

But my true fallback would have been signing Rendon (he can technically be backup plan IMO), move Moncada back to 2B, and then use Madrigal in a trade for a controllable starter.  Money is a powerful asset if you actually leverage it creatively

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Someone list the notable non Boras clients left. It’s obvious they don’t negotiate with him. 

Bumgarner, Ozuna, Wood, Miley and that's all I have. 

Known Boras clients: 

Ryu

Keuchel 

Castellanos 

Porcello? Idk anymore. I know he was when drafted. 

Edited by Jack Parkman