Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

48 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The thing that sucks about Rendon, is his contract fit perfectly with what the Sox were willing to give Machado, including when it expired. It doesn't appear they put much of an effort, if any effort, into Rendon. I really don't understand why. 

I guess because Moncada is at 3rd and they're penciling Madrigal in at 2nd. I'd be absolutely fine with that IF they get a competent RF and a SP or two. It doesn't have to be this offseason either, though my faith is pretty low that they'll be able to make any substantial moves before starting to worry about free agency. I think we'll be entering our competitive window with Mazara then Adolfo/Basabe/Rutherford/Gonzales in RF and we'll need to rely on Giolito/Kopech/Cease to carry the rotation.

13 hours ago, fathom said:

I’m all for meltdowns, but this one is ridiculous. Want to know why the Sox didn’t want to go after him for a long deal?  He’s already like 5 years older than Manny was when he was a FA. I love Rendon, but there are other places to spend the money. 

He's 3 years older than Manny when he hit free agency and also signed for 3 less years so ya.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

That’s what I’m saying though, Sox probably had concerns about his performance towards end of contract 

Every team who gives out these contracts goes in knowing they are probably going to have some bad money on their hands come the last few years.  If you want to get these star players it's what you have to do.  If the Sox want to keep playing poor and not force the issue this year then we're going to have a whole 3 year window with Yoan and Gio on this team.  If you're the front office you have to make yourself uncomfortable at some point.

Edited by Rowand44

54 minutes ago, fathom said:

That’s what I’m saying though, Sox probably had concerns about his performance towards end of contract 

Just tell them he'll be a DH then, they are totally comfortablt spending tens of millions on old terrible DHs. In their prime good players? Terrifying.

• Haha 1