Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And the second part of the question: Where does Rendon see himself at 36?

“Hopefully not playing baseball,” Rendon said with a laugh.

Throw 200 at him for 5 years and see what happens if you really like him. 

If Rendon turned down 7/$210M seems and doesn't want to be playing baseball at 36 yrs old doesn't it seem likely that he just could 've told the Nat's give me $200M for 5 yrs. and it's settled ? Or even 5/$175-200M ? Why test the market at all if 5 years is all the years you want ? $35-40M AAV might be more than the Ntas want to go considering the luxury tax perhaps ?

57 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If Rendon turned down 7/$210M seems and doesn't want to be playing baseball at 36 yrs old doesn't it seem likely that he just could 've told the Nat's give me $200M for 5 yrs. and it's settled ? Or even 5/$175-200M ? Why test the market at all if 5 years is all the years you want ? $35-40M AAV might be more than the Ntas want to go considering the luxury tax perhaps ?

Rendon for 5 years, at $200 Million should be more appealing to the Sox, than the 8 year, $250 Million, which they offered Machado.  If he would take that, one would hope that the Sox would make the offer. I understand that Moncada already offered to play the OF. Put him in RF, Madrigal at second and sign a left handed bat, such as Moose, or Grandal and the offense would be ready to contend. Then, sign Rendon's teammate, Strasburg and a reliever, to complete the division winning roster.

Edited by Lillian

12 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Rendon for 5 years, at $200 Million should be more appealing to the Sox, than the 8 year, $250 Million, which they offered Machado.  If he would take that, one would hope that the Sox would make the offer. I understand that Moncada already offered to play the OF. Put him in RF, Madrigal at second and sign a left handed bat, such as Moose, or Grandal and the offense would be ready to contend. Then, sign Rendon's teammate, Strasburg and a reliever, to complete the division winning roster.

Division winning?  That roster would have a good chance of going all the way. 😍

We're in a time where you see guys with more positional versatility. You've got guys like Baez who play every infield position. Does it bother him? No, it only increases his value and future payday. Moncada is a heck of an athlete. I don't think it's a stretch to say he could handle 3rd, 2nd and RF. I get being cautious about moving him to RF with his leg injures. 

But allowing him to prove his worth as a multi position player helps him and the Sox. If you can land Rendon, you do it. 

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

The team is obviously pushing the narrative that they will be in on big fish. Merkin, Kenny Williams, and Vinnie Duber. 

OMG, STFU Rick, Kenny anyone else....Go into stealth mode. If they go after Cole/Stras/Rendon and strike out again, they're going to let other teams grab deals and be left holding Mr. Johnson again.  The torches and pitchforks will be out in full force at 35th and Shields. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

OMG, STFU Rick, Kenny anyone else....Go into stealth mode. If they go after Cole/Stras/Rendon and strike out again, they're going to let other teams grab deals and be left holding Mr. Johnson again.  The torches and pitchforks will be out in full force at 35th and Shields. 

After last year's embarrassment, I don't think they would talk big unless they're damn sure of getting one of Wheeler/Rendon/Cole/Stras. This is a good sign imo.

Edited by ron883

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The quotes are from last winter. What exactly are you upset about?

9 minutes ago, ron883 said:

After last year's embarrassment, I don't think they would talk big unless they're damn sure of getting one of Wheeler/Rendon/Cole/Stras. This is a good sign imo.

They can't get a big fish with JR signing the checks. All they are doing is setting themselves up for failure. If they want to go get one of Rendon/Cole/Stras, keep it quite and surprise everyone. My expectations are so incredibly low, if they sign anyone of value for the long term I'll be pleasantly surprised.

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

They can't get a big fish with JR signing the checks. All they are doing is setting themselves up for failure. If they want to go get one of Rendon/Cole/Stras, keep it quite and surprise everyone. My expectations are so incredibly low, if they sign anyone of value for the long term I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Why would they put these reports out if they weren't serious about these guys? They'd look like even bigger fools. At some point, the players would start to get annoyed at the cheapness. I have no doubt they're going big this offseason.

Just now, ron883 said:

Why would they put these reports out if they weren't serious about these guys? They'd look like even bigger fools. At some point, the players would start to get annoyed at the cheapness. I have no doubt they're going big this offseason.

See Manny Machado and how they handled that whole situation with their "seat at the table," "we offered more money," and "all he had to do was stay healthy" crap. I really hope you're right and they do surprise us, but until that happens, I am not expecting them to come out on top for any of the top talent in the FA market. Their past history and shortcomings speaks for itself up to this point. I'd rather set my expectations extremely low and be pleasantly surprised.

13 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

See Manny Machado and how they handled that whole situation with their "seat at the table," "we offered more money," and "all he had to do was stay healthy" crap. I really hope you're right and they do surprise us, but until that happens, I am not expecting them to come out on top for any of the top talent in the FA market. Their past history and shortcomings speaks for itself up to this point. I'd rather set my expectations extremely low and be pleasantly surprised.

Yes, I remember last season. It was embarrassing as a Sox fan. Imagine being the front office that struck out. I don't think they want to go through that ridicule again. They wouldn't talk big like this unless they were fairly confident that they would land a big dog. 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Yes, I remember last season. It was embarrassing as a Sox fan. Imagine being the front office that struck out. I don't think they want to go through that ridicule again. They wouldn't talk big like this unless they were fairly confident that they would land a big dog. 

Who is talking big? What quotes are you referring to?

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

They're sending their mouthpieces (Merkin, NBCS White Sox Twitter) to talk big game. KW said it would be busier than usual. We're getting a big dog. 

Steve Stone as well, although he has said multiple times he didn't think it would be Cole but did make mention to watch who opts out.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245