Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

Just now, ron883 said:

They're sending their mouthpieces (Merkin, NBCS White Sox Twitter) to talk big game. KW said it would be busier than usual. We're getting a big dog. 

Merkin has gone out of his way several times to say that we shouldn’t expect guys like Cole or Rendon. And that NBCS article above includes quotes from last winter...it’s nothing new. 

Nobody is talking big in terms of the big three free agents. They are talking big in terms of spending money to fill several holes. 

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Does he want to play 2B? Otherwise it’s a non starter for me, and likely the Sox. They aren’t going to jerk Moncada around again. Moncada is an elite defensive 3B. Leave him alone. 

I would rather pay a great player like Rendon than get cute and force someone like Castellenos or someone else as a DH. I hate moving Moncada but reality is I want more elite players and Rendon is that. 

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

It’s going to be tougher this offseason to land a big fish with so many teams in the mix......that’s why landing Machado last offseason was critical

If the Sox can get Rendon, I'll consider it a blessing that Machado went to San Diego. Rendon is a better player and seemingly, a better person. 

Edited by Lillian

8 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Merkin has gone out of his way several times to say that we shouldn’t expect guys like Cole or Rendon. And that NBCS article above includes quotes from last winter...it’s nothing new. 

Nobody is talking big in terms of the big three free agents. They are talking big in terms of spending money to fill several holes. 

Ha, yeah that has been funny. Open to interpretation on how excited we'll be with signing Odorizzi.

The fact that Rendon seems more interested in a shorter contract, could be a significant advantage here. We often talk about player opt outs, and how they can actually be advantageous, for management, as well as the player. Offering Rendon 5 years $200 million, is comparable to giving a player a longer contract, with an opt out, after 5 years. Such contracts are usually front end loaded, and $40 Million per year, is a number that would be commensurate with such a contract, for a Super Star. It might actually be better to pay him $200 Million for 5 years, than to give him a bigger and longer deal, with an opt out after 5 years. Such a contract would provide cost certainty and avoid the potential for having to pay for years of declining production. $200 Million seems preferable to the $300 Million given to Machado. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

Perhaps you’re not familiar with the word “seemingly”?

Thank you for clarifying the intent of my comment. Of course, non of us has first hand information about these players, but Machado's numerous antics did not portray him in a very favorable light. By contrast, Rendon enjoys the reputation of being a very likeable player, as well as a good teammate. I never warmed up to Machado, as the potential "face of the franchise". I'm a little old fashioned, but I enjoy rooting for players, whom I "like," as people. Even though I don't personally know any of them, I can relate positively to their public personas. A personable young man, such as Eloy, is an easy player to root for. Manny Machado.....not so much. Perhaps a better test, is how one feels about them, when they are struggling. I feel much more empathy for a slumping player, if I like him, than I would for a guy, for whom I really don't care much.

I understand that some fans really don't care and consider all of the players merely fungible pieces of the team. I've been a fan for a long time, going back to the mid 50's. Players tended to stay with the same team for much longer, back in the "reserve clause" era, before free agency. I grew up with an emotional attachment to guys like Jim Rivera, Nellie Fox and Louis Aparicio. It's a very subjective thing, but for me, it makes following the Sox more enjoyable. When you have to endure so many losing seasons, it helps when you like the players, as people. I'm the kind of fan, who would say to the prospect of the Bears acquiring Antonio Brown; "I don't care how good he is, I don't want that creep on my team". That's just me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I will not fall into the trap again and be disappointed when the team falls woefully short. Rendon won't be a White Sox.

I hear you and who could blame you? However, remember what Tennyson said; "It is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved, at all". Hope, anticipation and expectations are all part of the joy of being a fan. Why not dream big, and enjoy it? Rendon as the center piece of a fantastic off season would surely put the South Side in the spotlight. Remember how we all talked about what signing Harper would have meant, for fan interest and national recognition? That effect would be much greater now, that so many pieces of the core have emerged as legitimate stars. We're no longer just talking about an outstanding farm system. Add Rendon to T. A., Moncada, Jimenez, Abreu, Robert, Giolito, Kopech, Cease and whoever they sign for the rotation, and you have an exciting, star studded roster.

Edited by Lillian

7 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I hear you and who could blame you? However, remember what Tennyson said; "It is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved, at all". Hope, anticipation and expectations are all part of the joy of being a fan. Why not dream big, and enjoy it?

It was once said, “Families are where wings take dream.”

In the spirit of extreme optimism, let's address the issue of where to play Moncada, if the Sox can acquire Rendon. Some have vehemently resisted the idea of moving him to a new position, yet again. If it's true that Moncada has already stated his willingness to play the OF, I really don't see the problem. Not only would it make room for both Rendon at third and Madrigal at second, but it would fill the hole in RF. Yoan has the speed and athleticism to become an outstanding defensive right fielder. He also has a good enough arm for the position. I have heard some concerns about his past issues with hamstrings, but I'm not qualified to comment on that factor. 

If the Sox could acquire Rendon, that would only leave one more regular position to fill. Signing either Moose, or Grandal to rotate between first, DH and catcher, would fill the need for a left handed bat and complete the roster, for position players. Therefore, I don't agree with the suggestion of moving Moncada back to second. Madrigal will likely be a Gold Glove caliber defender, as soon as he joins the team and even if he were to start slowly, as a hitter, the Sox could easily hide his bat, with all of that thunder in the line up. That would leave the rotation, as the only remaining need for at least one more addition.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

In the spirit of extreme optimism, let's address the issue of where to play Moncada, if the Sox can acquire Rendon. Some have vehemently resisted the idea of moving him to a new position, yet again. If it's true that Moncada has already stated his willingness to play the OF, I really don't see the problem. Not only would it make room for both Rendon at third and Madrigal at second, but it would fill the hole in RF. Yoan has the speed and athleticism to become an outstanding defensive right fielder. He also has a good enough arm for the position. I have heard some concerns about his past issues with hamstrings, but I'm not qualified to comment on that factor. 

If the Sox could acquire Rendon, that would only leave one more regular position to fill. Signing either Moose, or Grandal to rotate between first, DH and catcher, would fill the need for a left handed bat and complete the roster, for position players. Therefore, I don't agree with the suggestion of moving Moncada back to second. Madrigal will likely be a Gold Glove caliber defender, as soon as he joins the team and even if he were to start slowly, as a hitter, the Sox could easily hide his bat, with all of that thunder in the line up. 

I love you.... but I’m more likely to have a hammer fall out of my shower head this morning than we are to sign Rendon.

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

If the Sox could acquire Rendon, that would only leave one more regular position to fill. Signing either Moose, or Grandal to rotate between first, DH and catcher, would fill the need for a left handed bat and complete the roster, for position players. Therefore, I don't agree with the suggestion of moving Moncada back to second. Madrigal will likely be a Gold Glove caliber defender, as soon as he joins the team and even if he were to start slowly, as a hitter, the Sox could easily hide his bat, with all of that thunder in the line up. 

Figure Rendon would cost us $35 million AAV long term

Grandal will cost at least $18 million AAV on a multi year deal

Moose would be a bit cheaper, but the point is that to acquire two of those guys means $50 million added to the payroll annually and we still badly need to add at least two starting pitchers, one top tier arm and a backend starter. I just do not see it happening, especially in a single offseason. 

27 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Figure Rendon would cost us $35 million AAV long term

Grandal will cost at least $18 million AAV on a multi year deal

Moose would be a bit cheaper, but the point is that to acquire two of those guys means $50 million added to the payroll annually and we still badly need to add at least two starting pitchers, one top tier arm and a backend starter. I just do not see it happening, especially in a single offseason. 

Actually, I was projecting $40 Million per year, 5 years, for Rendon. Add $18 million for Grandal and you have $58 Million, for the two of them. How much does that leave for another starter? Who knows? It all depends on what J. R. has authorized as a maximum payroll. If all of the commitments can be confined to 5 years, or less, that might be plausible. They have lots of financial flexibility now, until the young core reaches  arbitration and then free agency. It would seem to me that this is the time to spend the money. If not now, then when?

Edited by Lillian

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I will not fall into the trap again and be disappointed when the team falls woefully short. Rendon won't be a White Sox.

Yes you will fall into the trap. You'll be right there with us when Rendon and Strasburg enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner with Benny the Bull at the United Center. You will be right there with us on Black Friday when we learn Kahnny thought they were getting a Black Friday discount. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245