Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yes you will fall into the trap. You'll be right there with us when Rendon and Strasburg enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner with Benny the Bull at the United Center. You will be right there with us on Black Friday when we learn Kahnny thought they were getting a Black Friday discount. 

Yolmer will be resigned simply to be the court jester for big name FAs. He will come out on a unicycle while juggling bowling pins and put on a show for Rendon and others. 

• Haha 2

Has anyone done a 5 year financial projection, on what the Sox payroll would look like, prior to adding any free agents? There isn't much argument about them being able to spend big, for this coming season. The question is what commitments for years 2 through 5 would be, when most to this current young roster, reaches arbitration and free agency.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

In the spirit of extreme optimism, let's address the issue of where to play Moncada, if the Sox can acquire Rendon. Some have vehemently resisted the idea of moving him to a new position, yet again. If it's true that Moncada has already stated his willingness to play the OF, I really don't see the problem. Not only would it make room for both Rendon at third and Madrigal at second, but it would fill the hole in RF. Yoan has the speed and athleticism to become an outstanding defensive right fielder. He also has a good enough arm for the position. I have heard some concerns about his past issues with hamstrings, but I'm not qualified to comment on that factor. 

If the Sox could acquire Rendon, that would only leave one more regular position to fill. Signing either Moose, or Grandal to rotate between first, DH and catcher, would fill the need for a left handed bat and complete the roster, for position players. Therefore, I don't agree with the suggestion of moving Moncada back to second. Madrigal will likely be a Gold Glove caliber defender, as soon as he joins the team and even if he were to start slowly, as a hitter, the Sox could easily hide his bat, with all of that thunder in the line up. That would leave the rotation, as the only remaining need for at least one more addition.

If the Sox were to sign Rendon, I agree that the most likely scenario would be to move Moncada to RF.  I have no idea how his defense would be out there, but his speed, athleticism, and arm strength give reason to think he could be at least average.  Also, interestingly, despite having a very solid season defensively at 3B in 2019, I noticed that the rating services are mostly projecting a defensive regression for him next year, so moving him off the position might not hurt his value.  I tend to think his offensive improvements this last year were not connected at all with his position switch (being more comfortable at 3B) and rather just with a change in offensive philosophy, so I don't think another position switch would have a negative effect on his offense.

28 minutes ago, fathom said:

Nightingale also said he thought Abreu would get 2/40 or so from the Sox. He mentioned he thought Sox would get someone for at least 90 million 

After listening to that podcast, my impression is that he had little to offer. That Sox are not going to give Jose $40 Million, for 2 years. They don't need to and shouldn't. If Jose wants to accept the QO, fine. If not, then I would expect each year to be for less, the more years that he gets.

Edited by Lillian

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

Nightingale also said he thought Abreu would get 2/40 or so from the Sox. He mentioned he thought Sox would get someone for at least 90 million 

Ah everyone's favorite time of year, when we remember fondly how accurate the leaks were from inside this organization last year.

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ah everyone's favorite time of year, when we remember fondly how accurate the leaks were from inside this organization last year.

The real crap fiesta has not even started yet. Buckle up, just wait until everyone's "sources" start spewing out. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Sounds like Wheeler or better to me!  Not sure anyone else outside of him and the big three will get $90M+, although I guess it’s possible that Donaldson or more likely Bumgarner could.

I'd like to address the point of view, often expressed here, that it is better not to allow oneself to be hopeful that the front office will spend the money to acquire a high priced free agent, because it sets one up for major disappointment. I have a different perspective. My satisfaction, or disappointment, is more a function of whether, or not, the front office does what I think would be the best thing. If I believe that this is the time to spend big on a free agent, then I will be disappointed, if they don't, even if I didn't expect them to. Whether, or not, I had high hopes is far less important.

Theoretically, I could be of the opinion that it would be a mistake to commit too much to one, or more players, and in that instance, I could conceivably be disappointed that they did. In other words, I would be disappointed if they make what I consider to be a bad decision. My expectations are far less important than my judgement, regarding the wisdom of making any particular player acquisitions. To me, the notion that one shouldn't get their hopes up, for fear of disappointment, seems more like superstition.

I hope that helps some of you who would like to be hopeful, but are afraid to do so. If you want Rendon, go ahead and be hopeful. Would you really be any less disappointed, if they don't sign him, just because you didn't expect it? The anticipation is half of the fun. I'm having a great time, just thinking about it. LOL

Edited by Lillian
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

FWIW, he didn’t think Sox would go after Cole. He mentioned everyone else, including Castellanos and Wheeler.

Nightengale had no insider info on this. I listened and it sounded like pure speculation based on the Sox current financial flexibility and eagerness to start winning in a winnable division.

Bob said nothing on the podcast that I couldn't have also told Chuck and Ryan.

I'm not saying the Sox won't spend, I think they will. I just don't think we should take anything Nightengale said to mean much at all.

How much of an effect do you think that signing Rendon would have on other free agents becoming intrigued with the idea of joining this emerging contender? If they could ink him to a deal, early in the off season, might some other big names think that they'd like to jump on the Sox train?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

How much of an effect do you think that signing Rendon would have on other free agents becoming intrigued with the idea of joining this emerging contender? If they could ink him to a deal, early in the off season, might some other big names think that they'd like to jump on the Sox train?

Sure, if you’re willing to pay them the most money.

Rendon is interesting. He's 29 now, he'll be 30 next year mid-summer. 

A 5 year deal would be likely very productive. Can't help but feel like Machado was such a perfect piece (he's 27), but that ship has sailed. 

Rendon is obviously an amazing defender and hitter. Would be a huge get. I'm just not so sure it makes sense having Anderson/Moncada/Madrigal all up here. For as deep as the free agent class is this year, there really is no perfect 'get' for the White Sox unless you consider Grandal it. All the OF'rs have major flaws and all the SP's are either unobtainable (Cole/Stras) or have major flaws. Kinda sucks.

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

I agree that a signing of Rendon or Cole could help the Sox sign other free agents.

Worth noting that when you google "Yoan Moncada Outfield" there was a 2018 article that said Moncada has some experience in the OF. 

Rendon is one helluva player, and one that I think would be worth moving Moncada for. People talked about 3B being better for Yoan because there was less to think about, well, I think the same could be said for RF. 

Rendon has stated that he doesn't see himself playing after 35, so there shouldnt be the risk of him signing an 8 year deal where the last 3 become an albatross. I'd be all in. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245