Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Worth noting that when you google "Yoan Moncada Outfield" there was a 2018 article that said Moncada has some experience in the OF. 

Rendon is one helluva player, and one that I think would be worth moving Moncada for. People talked about 3B being better for Yoan because there was less to think about, well, I think the same could be said for RF. 

Rendon has stated that he doesn't see himself playing after 35, so there shouldn't be the risk of him signing an 8 year deal where the last 3 become an albatross. I'd be all in. 

Personally, I take that comment of his with a big grain of salt.  If someone was willing to offer him $20 million to play his age 36 season, I think he'd gladly take it.  I'd be shocked if he signs a deal for anything less than 7 years.

16 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

For as deep as the free agent class is this year, there really is no perfect 'get' for the White Sox unless you consider Grandal it. All the OF'rs have major flaws and all the SP's are either unobtainable (Cole/Stras) or have major flaws. Kinda sucks.

I don't think Strasburg is unobtainable...it will just be very difficult. And I would argue that Rendon and Grandal are Perfect gets for year/value in the window of competing that is forming. Machado/Harper were nice fits but would have been wasted 30 million assets last year and quite honestly...performed just OKAY. I very much prefer Rendon to Machado if he can be had for a 6-7 year and less than 32 million AAV contract. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Shrug.  An infield of Moncada/TA/Madrigal is pretty cool too.  

Sure, but less cool than an infield of Rendon/TA/Madrigal paired with the outfield I described above (since the addition of Rendon would be the condition bringing about that outfield grouping.)  Whatever, you can play this game all day plugging in your favored players.  My only point is that an "all-prospect" outfield comprised of the centerpieces of the rebuild would have a cool symmetry.

9 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Jimenez/Robert/Betts

Moncada/TA/Madrigal/Abreu

that should be the target for next year.  That’s otherworldly.   Betts is a generational talent and worth trading for IMO. 

I would agree. But I would wait for FA and take a shot at him.  I would assume the trade pieces for Betts, even for 1 year, would be very pricey

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Jimenez/Robert/Betts

that should be the target for next year.  That’s otherworldly.   Betts is a generational talent and worth trading for IMO. 

The White Sox trading for a guy with 1 year of control that will require giving up any notable pieces of the MLB club or prospects is beyond idiotic.  

Trading a spare prospect part of two for Joc Pederson is one thing.  Trading Madrigal +++++ for Betts is quite another.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Jimenez/Robert/Betts

Only if you can get his without giving up the top 3 prospects and also sign him to an extension...

Tall order, don’t hold your breath... I’m not.

Mangos.

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

I don't think Strasburg is unobtainable...it will just be very difficult. And I would argue that Rendon and Grandal are Perfect gets for year/value in the window of competing that is forming. Machado/Harper were nice fits but would have been wasted 30 million assets last year and quite honestly...performed just OKAY. I very much prefer Rendon to Machado if he can be had for a 6-7 year and less than 32 million AAV contract. 

I think there is a solid argument for Rendon over Machado especially for a White Sox team that is allergic to giving out huge long contracts. 

However, just because Machado/Harper performed mediocre to expectations isn't a good analysis IMO. I think they are going to rock for the terms of their contract.

2 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

I would prefer Rendon, and that contract, as well. However, I suspect that it will be more like $40 Million AAV, for 5 years. If he was sincere, when he said that he didn't see himself playing at age 36, perhaps he would prefer to make the money, in fewer years. That might be fine, for the Sox. 

19 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I would prefer Rendon, and that contract, as well. However, I suspect that it will be more like $40 Million AAV, for 5 years. If he was sincere, when he said that he didn't see himself playing at age 36, perhaps he would prefer to make the money, in fewer years. That might be fine, for the Sox. 

Sox are not going to put a $40 million AAV offer out there for any player at this stage, lets not kid ourselves

11 minutes ago, tray said:

Moncada may not take kindly to putting on an outfield glove and learning a new position. 

Moreover, that might be a move that Moncada and his agent believe could  diminish his  value as a player in future negotiations.

If anything it would increase his value, not diminish it.

1 hour ago, tray said:

Uh, no.

How do you figure? Showing you can play multiple positions increases your value. I'm not sure why you think otherwise. Moncada then becomes an OF and 3B option for a team looking to sign him - opening up his list of suitors and increasing his value based on versatility.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How do you figure? Showing you can play multiple positions increases your value. I'm not sure why you think otherwise. Moncada then becomes an OF and 3B option for a team looking to sign him - opening up his list of suitors and increasing his value based on versatility.

If (big if, because its not going to happen) the Sox move Moncada to RF full time because they signed Rendon, by the time FA rolls around, he isn't going to be an option at 3B any longer, because he will have played OF full time for a half decade.  I would think Moncada has more value as an infielder than an outfielder, but again, this is all moot because the Sox aren't moving Moncada to the OF, even if he COULD do it.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

What teams will be willing to give that high of contract to him? Rangers, Phillies, Angels? Mystery team?  Nationals offer is 7/210, right? so 30 m AAV. Sox max offer in the 7/245 range, that is 35m AAV. Is that enough to sway him? Maybe.  6/220 is 35m AAV also...but would he really take that to leave a team he just won a series with? 5/200 just isn't happening with this ownership. 

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If (big if, because its not going to happen) the Sox move Moncada to RF full time because they signed Rendon, by the time FA rolls around, he isn't going to be an option at 3B any longer, because he will have played OF full time for a half decade.  I would think Moncada has more value as an infielder than an outfielder, but again, this is all moot because the Sox aren't moving Moncada to the OF, even if he COULD do it.    

You dont suddenly forget how to play the infield.

By all accounts, moncada had went 24 years without playing 3rd base full time before this year and he excelled. 

The fact is versatility is worth more than not. It would benefit Moncadas value to other teams - not the other way around.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245