Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

35 minutes ago, Saufley said:

If Robert is in CF I sure hope it's after April 21st next year. I'm going to a wedding in Charleston on April 25th and plan on stopping to see the Knights game on the 21st.

It will be. That should be one of his last handful of games in AAA. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saufley said:

If Robert is in CF I sure hope it's after April 21st next year. I'm going to a wedding in Charleston on April 25th and plan on stopping to see the Knights game on the 21st.

Robert is eligible to be called up without losing a year of service time about a week before then (due to the early start to the season). If he's healthy, I don't think he'll be there when you're there

19 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wait, you’re suggesting Engel isn’t ready to hit major league hitting but that Billy Hamilton is?  Hamilton is probably the worst hitter in Major League Baseball.

Keeping in with this conversation but suggesting a more sensible player. My plan C is Jackie Bradley Jr.

But importantly in a platoon WITH Engel. 

Engel over 88 at bats against lefties (I know SSS) hit over .350obp.

JBJ hit .320obp with pop from the other side of the platoon in a down year. Together they would form a .335ish obs base with 20 plus home runs.

i know the above isn’t electric but it would be above league average hitting at a small cost. 

Furthermore, say we are 2 runs up in the 7th all three head into the outfield once Eloy has only one at bat left. With that outfield very little drops. This has value on both sides of the ball and is a cheaper option that trades or my plan A,  Big D**k Nick.

18 hours ago, bschmaranz said:

Madrigal should if he was smart.

I have always thought both would be offered extensions.  I know some folks think Robert already has the money to turn down an extension but I bet he's chomping at the bit.  Madrigal is a sure thing as long as Spring goes according to plan.

Just now, poppysox said:

I have always thought both would be offered extensions.  I know some folks think Robert already has the money to turn down an extension but I bet he's chomping at the bit.  Madrigal is a sure thing as long as Spring goes according to plan.

I kind of feel that the Sox would have a chance at extending both Robert and Moncada because they already have life changing money.  If they are happy and comfortable here why not take some extension $.  But that is just me.  Some guys do just want to test free agency I guess.

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

I kind of feel that the Sox would have a chance at extending both Robert and Moncada because they already have life changing money.  If they are happy and comfortable here why not take some extension $.  But that is just me.  Some guys do just want to test free agency I guess.

I'm like Jose...I'm a one team kind of guy.  I couldn't spend the amount of money these guys will make if I tried.

Edited by poppysox

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I'm like Jose...I'm a one team kind of guy.  I couldn't spend the amount of money these guys will make if I tried.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

And if Jose talks either or both of them into being one team guys too...that Abreu extension will be well worth it

• 2 weeks later...

Rendon's main goal seems to be high AAV. We just offered $25 million AAV to Zack Wheeler and $31.25 million AAV to Machado in February. I obviously don't expect us to sign or even pursue Rendon, which I'll underline since any post on the matter tends to get a bunch of replies restating that, but I see him as a more realistic pivot than Cole or Strasburg. If you really want to spend the money, get creative with Rendon and offer him 5/180. As unlikely as it seems, I never expected Reinsdorf to be convinced to offer Zack Wheeler of all people $25 million per year. 

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Rendon's main goal seems to be high AAV. We just offered $25 million AAV to Zack Wheeler and $31.25 million AAV to Machado in February. I obviously don't expect us to sign or even pursue Rendon, which I'll underline since any post on the matter tends to get a bunch of replies restating that, but I see him as a more realistic pivot than Cole or Strasburg. If you really want to spend the money, get creative with Rendon and offer him 5/180. As unlikely as it seems, I never expected Reinsdorf to be convinced to offer Zack Wheeler of all people $25 million per year. 

That would be interesting to consider. Opens the door to trade Madrigal for SP then. 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm with you on this one. Not likely but the most likely of the top 3. 

6 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

totally agree. Years seem to bother reinsdorf most, and rendon offers a player that does not hit FA often, is truly elite, and can provide impact few pitchers outside the top three could.

If sox could cobble an elite offense together, I don't think it's the worst thing to be a bit year-by-year in its outlook. Costly, productive vets become available at deadline, upstart pitchers emerge each year for FA.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NotHahn said:

I'm with you on this one. Not likely but the most likely of the top 3. 

I agree that Rendon is the most getable of the top 3 but he doesn't fill a current need.  IMO better to spend money where the need is...pitching and RF.  I'm not trading Madrigal so I can jerry-rig a spot for Rendon.  If the move of Moncada to RF is fine with him and the FO...I can see that since it would fill a current need.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I agree that Rendon is the most getable of the top 3 but he doesn't fill a current need.  IMO better to spend money where the need is...pitching and RF.  I'm not trading Madrigal so I can jerry-rig a spot for Rendon.  If the move of Moncada to RF is fine with him and the FO...I can see that since it would fill a current need.

Well, they were still a below average offense and could use an insanely productive bat.

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245