Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You dont suddenly forget how to play the infield.

By all accounts, moncada had went 24 years without playing 3rd base full time before this year and he excelled. 

The fact is versatility is worth more than not. It would benefit Moncadas value to other teams - not the other way around.

I could be wrong but didn't he play 3B in Cuba? 

I'm not sure why people are arguing with Ray Ray here. Without a doubt it increases his value. Defensive versatility is obviously very valuable. Moncada became an above average 3rd baseman in 1 year. He wouldn't forget how to play. the guy is super athletic. If they moved him to RF, I can see them playing him at 3b on occasion, as needed. 

11 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

You’d burn down the farm for one shot at going from 72 wins to WS champ? 

Yeah, not smart. I’m hoping we make enough improvement this year where next offseason we can throw a blank check at Betts as the final piece to push us over the top. 

I really want Castellanos this year. He can play RF in 2020 (with some DH sprinkled in) and then move to DH in 2021 and 2022 if we can grab a legit right fielder. 

A realistic scenario is that we sign Wheeler and Castellanos this year (Grandal would be a bonus). Then we sign Betts next year, and we are looking at this for 2021:

Lineup:

1. Robert CF

2. Moncada 3B

3. Betts RF

4. Eloy LF

5. Castellanos DH

6. Vaughn 1B

7. McCann/Collins C

8. Anderson SS

9. Madrigal 2B

Rotation: 

1. Giolito

2. Wheeler

3. Kopech 

4. Cease

5. Rodon/López/Dunning

2 hours ago, tray said:

Moncada may not take kindly to putting on an outfield glove and learning a new position. 

Moreover, that might be a move that Moncada and his agent believe could  diminish his  value as a player in future negotiations.

Didn't hurt Harper.

35 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You dont suddenly forget how to play the infield.

By all accounts, moncada had went 24 years without playing 3rd base full time before this year and he excelled. 

The fact is versatility is worth more than not. It would benefit Moncadas value to other teams - not the other way around.

Yah, disagree but no point in getting into a pointless arguement with you. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, disagree but no point in getting into a pointless arguement with you. 

How does it hurt his value? Play him at 3rd when Rendon needs a break. Problem solved. Kris Bryant managed to play OF and 3rd base. I'm sure Moncada could as well. 

19 minutes ago, ron883 said:

How does it hurt his value? Play him at 3rd when Rendon needs a break. Problem solved. Kris Bryant managed to play OF and 3rd base. I'm sure Moncada could as well. 

Probably a lot better than Bryant. Isn't Moncada a much better athlete? He certainly is much faster.

27 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I said Moncada would be less valuable as an everyday OF as opposed to an IF. I suppose the scenario you describe above is theoretically doable, but I just highly doubt that happens in actuality over the course of the balance of Moncadas control. It’s a pointless discussion. Moncada is not an outfielder. 

I thought Moncada was a natural 2B and we moved him off because we didn't have a 3B last season.  He's good enough to play anywhere and there would be no adjustment for him going back to 2B.  The question then is where does Madrigal fit in if/when Yolmer goes.  This lineup with Rendon is amazing with no defensive dropoff at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Very quiet on the Rendon front. Makes me wonder if the Sox are going to be an under the radar team like the padres last year. By signing Rendon they would be addressing the RF need as well by moving TA, Moncada or Madrigal to RF. Plus I think Rendon will be a bargain compared to what Muchado got and hes a better player and fit. Imagine that lineup.

Edited by NotHahn
  • Haha 4

Yes, I was thinking that if we dont get a CF leadoff hitter with speed, Madrigal would be the next best option at leadoff. Dont expect 60 SB (as would could with Hamilton) but Madrigal could pop for may 25-30, no? And Madrigal would hopefully get on base alot. If Madrigal shows in spring he is up to his old tricks of hitting and walking, then he should make the opening day roster, especially if we dont get a Hamilton(or Hamilton himself) type player.

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

Man, we have Engel.

Hmmm.interesting take... We have been waiting for Engel for years, but he hasnt been ready to hit MLB pitching. Still, I like that you are thinking, we should give Engel a look for sure if we dont sign a CF.  Engel can go get em too. Maybe he comes into spring hitting and getting on base and stealing like crazy. That would be the best scenario, because Engel is only 27.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245