MLB announces Astros penalties

Jose Abreu

29 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is damning stuff. Wonder what MLB is going to do about it. Likely, nothing 

Posted to Ken Rosenthal's twitter a half hour ago, the Astros released a statement that follows:

"Regarding the story posted by The Athletic earlier today, the Houston Astros organization has begun an investigation in cooperation with Major League Baseball. It would not be appropriate to comment further at this time."

I can imagine the Astros will release a statement saying "We have investigated ourselves and determined that we have done nothing wrong." 

Edited by sj91
  • Haha 2

Saw some athletic writer on twitter saying basically 'actually this shouldn't be considered cheating, and is smart and savvy' and get all the way out of my face into turning the actual on field action into an arms race. The difference in technology is wide enough just with scouting. 

2 minutes ago, sj91 said:

Posted to Ken Rosenthal's twitter a half hour ago, the Astros released a statement that follows:

"Regarding the story posted by The Athletic earlier today, the Houston Astros organization has begun an investigation in cooperation with Major League Baseball." It would not be appropriate to comment further at this time."

I can imagine the Astros will release a statement saying "We have investigated ourselves and determined that we have done nothing wrong." 

Proud of them for not attacking the people who reported it this time at least. 

• Haha 2

If you review that season and find consistent proof of this cheating both during the regular season and throughout the playoffs, their championship should be vacated, imo.  

If I'm a team with a strong roster and we can pick up 10-15 home wins by literally filming signs and relaying to hitters, and the only punishment is losing a few draft picks, sign me up!  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

If you review that season and find consistent proof of this cheating both during the regular season and throughout the playoffs, their championship should be vacated, imo.  

If I'm a team with a strong roster and we can pick up 10-15 home wins by literally filming signs and relaying to hitters, and the only punishment is losing a few draft picks, sign me up!  

I mean their OPS was worse at home than on the road, so while it's shitty, I don't think there's a need to go that scorched earth

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I mean their OPS was worse at home than on the road, so while it's shitty, I don't think there's a need to go that scorched earth

So their defense is, "yeah, we were cheating big time but, obviously, we weren't very good at it"?

Nah, screw that.  An 8 WAR player is worth tens of millions of dollars.  Would you trade a future 1st and 2nd for Mike Trout right now?  Potentially picking up 8 games by stealing signs electronically is obviously worth the risk if this is the route MLB goes.  Manfred needs to really make an example of them, especially as electronic surveillance and communications devices become less and less conspicuous every year.  What's next, film with ear pieces?

32 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Certainly not worth 15 wins but it's really egregious.

47 minutes ago, mqr said:

Saw some athletic writer on twitter saying basically 'actually this shouldn't be considered cheating, and is smart and savvy' and get all the way out of my face into turning the actual on field action into an arms race. The difference in technology is wide enough just with scouting. 

Talk about one dumb take. Let's slow the game down by making catchers go through elaborate signs countless times a game so the game can be decided by cameras instead of players.

As they now say they are investigating withMLB, it's obvious they are guilty. So take a couple high picks and slot money away. Say next team that gets caught the punishment will be worse. I have no problem stealing signs if you get them the old fashioned way, usually a runner on 2b. In college we had a first base coach who could get them somehow,  although he was wrong once with me and I almost went right into gas face first so I told him I didn't want to "know" anymore. Joe Nossek figuring out 3B signs is fine but there isn't nearly the running a more so that lessens the impact.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

As they now say they are investigating withMLB, it's obvious they are guilty. So take a couple high picks and slot money away. Say next team that gets caught the punishment will be worse. I have no problem stealing signs if you get them the old fashioned way, usually a runner on 2b. In college we had a first base coach who could get them somehow,  although he was wrong once with me and I almost went right into gas face first so I told him I didn't want to "know" anymore. Joe Nossek figuring out 3B signs is fine but there isn't nearly the running a more so that lessens the impact.

We never know, could be a tougher punishment. They dropped a pretty big hammer on the braves for stuff that “a lot of teams” were doing.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There may be nothing to this, but since they cheated, they lose the worry about yourself it's just coaching argument. There can be a lot of doubt.

I'm under the impression that they will do absolutely anything to win baseball games and it's basically a certainty that they are cheating in many other ways. 

• Thanks 1

• Jose Abreu changed the title to MLB announces Astros penalties