MLB announces Astros penalties

Jose Abreu

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

It's not just 2017.  They were 13 games better at home this year than they were on the road.  I doubt they won the World Series and then said, "Okay, that's enough.  We're going to stop stealing signs now."

I hope MLB throws the book at them.  

The real question is how did they think they’d get away with this?  Did they really expect the whole team to stay quiet even after guys started leaving?

If MLB wants to show they actually take this cheating as a team seriously, they should take away Houston’s 2020-2023 1st through 5th round picks in the MLB draft and the pool $ that comes with it. They should also ban them from International Signings for 4 years. 

MLB needs to come down extremely hard on them, or you just encourage others to do the same. 

1 hour ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

If MLB wants to show they actually take this cheating as a team seriously, they should take away Houston’s 2020-2023 1st through 5th round picks in the MLB draft and the pool $ that comes with it. They should also ban them from International Signings for 4 years. 

MLB needs to come down extremely hard on them, or you just encourage others to do the same. 

There is also precedent for forcing the removal of front office employees remember. MLB has been pretty strict recently. STL got off a little light, but obviously Copollela did not.

41 minutes ago, bmags said:

There is also precedent for forcing the removal of front office employees remember. MLB has been pretty strict recently. STL got off a little light, but obviously Copollela did not.

Seeing Lunhow get the boot would be pretty phenomenal, not gonna lie.

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Yep this is where you get serious with suspensions to players and the FO. I wouldn't be opposed to having Hinch being banned from baseball, and seeing players who took part in it get some severe suspensions (60 days or more). I don't think losing draft picks is enough.

Depending on what MLB finds, Hinch and Lunhow should probably be banned, especially when you take into consideration how much worse this is for the sport compared to Pete Rose or the Black Sox.

As for the players, that's gonna be trickier. What works in favor of that argument is that supposedly, some players declined the help. Redditors went through the game Farquhar caught the Astros in and the players that got trash can bangs included Bregman, Correa, Altuve, Beltran, Gattis, and Springer. 

Shoeless Joe Jackson was banned for life from baseball for doing nothing wrong.  I think he hit .375 in the WS with 12 hits and good defense. They called the 1919 team the Black Sox but other teams were cheating with regularity back then.    

So maybe similar to the cheating that was rampant back then,  teams are now stealing signs with the aid of cameras or taking other steps to cheat.  Winning has become a be all and end all in our society, but that is another story..   Anyway, anticipating the speed and/or location of a pitch (by improper means) changes the game in an insidious way that is insulting to fans of the game on many levels. While MLB addresses this issue,  smart pitchers and catchers should become even more aware of this possibility and take further steps to thwart the cheaters.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Quin said:

Has Jomboy's vid been posted in here?

Man, the internet is taking care of MLB's investigation.

No it's not.  I didn't want to link it because I don't know what the rules are.

And Yes.  The whistling in the WS is pretty damning, and it's the same thing the Yankees accused them of this year.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

No it's not.  I didn't want to link it because I don't know what the rules are.

And Yes.  The whistling in the WS is pretty damning, and it's the same thing the Yankees accused them of this year.

Everyone watch how blatant this shit is.

• Like 1

ThIs level of coordinating cheating should have unprecedented consequences.  I’m talking a loss of draft picks / LatAm bonus pool dollars, significant player suspensions, and possibly even lifetime bans for the coach & GM or whoever the ringmaster ultimately was.  The integrity of the game is at a stake and the Astros need to be made an example of.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quin said:

Has Jomboy's vid been posted in here?

Man, the internet is taking care of MLB's investigation.

Yea I posted it on page 1.  He breaks it down well, I watched without his explanation and then with it and it is pretty blatant

Astros’ GM Jeff Luhnow: ‘We try and follow the rules’

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — General manager Jeff Luhnow, his team facing a second MLB inquiry focused on sign stealing, said the Astros “try be good citizens.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-GM-Jeff-Luhnow-We-try-and-follow-14830234.php

Solomon: Astros guilty as charged but 2017 title not tainted

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/solomon/article/Solomon-Astros-guilty-as-charged-but-2017-title-14830283.php

• Jose Abreu changed the title to MLB announces Astros penalties