Jimenez doesn’t want to DH until mid 30’s

caulfield12

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/eloy-jimenez-hammers-home-white-142613364.html

Yahoo News picking up NBC Sports local article...before someone cites Vinnie Duber and Morosi as illegitimate 

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - Eloy Jimenez has said it before, but in case you needed a reminder, he's got one for you.

"I don't feel comfortable playing DH," he said in an interview with MLB.com's Jon Morosi on Monday. "I like playing the outfield. I don't care if it's right field or left field, but I feel comfortable in the outfield. I don't like being the DH. For me, it's boring.

"Maybe one time in my career - when I'm 35 or 37 - I can DH. But not now."

So that suggestion that the White Sox can plug their hole at designated hitter with Jimenez? Forget about it.

Edited by caulfield12

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yahoo News picking up NBC Sports local article...before someone cites Vinnie Duber and Morosi as illegitimate 

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - Eloy Jimenez has said it before, but in case you needed a reminder, he's got one for you.

"I don't feel comfortable playing DH," he said in an interview with MLB.com's Jon Morosi on Monday. "I like playing the outfield. I don't care if it's right field or left field, but I feel comfortable in the outfield. I don't like being the DH. For me, it's boring.

"Maybe one time in my career - when I'm 35 or 37 - I can DH. But not now."

So that suggestion that the White Sox can plug their hole at designated hitter with Jimenez? Forget about it.

Jimenez better keep his body in shape and work on defense, otherwise he will be headed there far sooner

30 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Then maybe he should try to learn to play outfield competently.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ron883 said:

Abreu must be rubbing off on him.

Let’s hope!

After all, Jose is the team leader in the clubhouse for a reason.  The more players the Sox have who comport themselves the way Jose has all these years, with his work ethic and positive attitude, the better the team’s chances. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/12/2019 at 9:57 PM, ChiSoxJon said:

Obviously these comments are light and meant to be positive, but I'd so much rather hear a player say he'll "Do what's best for the team"

I think you would find more players saying they will do what is best for the team by DHing at a young age if DHs got paid the same as OFs.

2 hours ago, asindc said:

I think you would find more players saying they will do what is best for the team by DHing at a young age if DHs got paid the same as OFs.

That’s true, but it isn’t like elite hitters like JD Martinez or EE five years ago haven’t gotten paid extremely well.  We’re willing to give Abreu $18 million.   And it’s difficult to imagine in this analytics-driven environment even an average fielding LF getting the Harper, Betts, Springer or Kris Bryant type of money.

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s true, but it isn’t like elite hitters like JD Martinez or EE five years ago haven’t gotten paid extremely well.  We’re willing to give Abreu $18 million.   And it’s difficult to imagine in this analytics-driven environment even an average fielding LF getting the Harper, Betts, Springer or Kris Bryant type of money.

EEs contract was quite low. He turned down 4/80 from the blue jays only to get 3/60 on the market. And JDM still played RF.

great examples.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

EEs contract was quite low. He turned down 4/80 from the blue jays only to get 3/60 on the market. And JDM still played RF.

great examples.

Clearly $20-25 million per year isn’t your idea of a big salary.

The Red Sox knew he was a terrible defender and would eventually have to be moved over.

Stanton, btw, makes $26 million, then you’ve got Choo and Carlos Santana at over $20 million.

Khris Davis makes almost $17 million for the A’s.

Jimenez is basically a DH playing LF but was still awarded a huge (certainly not a tremendous bargain by WAR) extension to basically rake.

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Clearly $20-25 million per year isn’t your idea of a big salary.

The Red Sox knew he was a terrible defender and would eventually have to be moved over.

Stanton, btw, makes $26 million, then you’ve got Choo and Carlos Santana at over $20 million.

Khris Davis makes almost $17 million for the A’s.

Jimenez is basically a DH playing LF but was still awarded a huge (certainly not a tremendous bargain by WAR) extension to basically rake.

And you think they would make less if they played the field? Because the player that made the most in total guaranteed money on that list signed still playing the field. How much does Giancarlo Stanton make?

Congrats though on getting to make a list of players. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

The Sox seem to have no shortage of producing players that are only suited for DH/1B because of their inability at defense.   Those are often the hardest players to trade to the NL. 

They aren’t even good at doing that because I can’t even remember the last time the Sox had a good DH. Adam Dunn? Lol

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

They aren’t even good at doing that because I can’t even remember the last time the Sox had a good DH. Adam Dunn? Lol

The last good DH they had was Jim Thome, and let him go so they could replace him with Mark Kotsay 🤣😂