What about Collins?

MeanJoeCrede

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think they use him as a trade chip.

1. Have a lack of OBP players on the team.

2. Have a lack of left handed hitters with promising power on the team. 

3. Trade said player who potentially provides both.

Would be so White Sox I'll say that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel like three or four of the most frequent posters on Soxtalk hate him for some reason.  So there is a general feeling that hes a bust based on a handful of loud voices.   It does seem like the organization has given up on him being a catcher...but power, LH and amazing OBP should make him an attractive part of the team.  I'm excited for him.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

What do you do with him then? Without consistent at bats, is he gonna develop into anything more than what he is now? Do you make him the every day DH? Keep him in AAA to get those ABs? Simply platoon him? 

Part of me would like to say just make him your everyday DH. If by the time the trade deadline rolls around, he's the player we saw in his short stint with big club then you look to add a DH(assuming the sox are in contention)

But then there's another part of me that wants no question marks on the team. 

I would not be upset if he's traded, but I'm rooting for the guy. 

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I feel like three or four of the most frequent posters on Soxtalk hate him for some reason.  So there is a general feeling that hes a bust based on a handful of loud voices. 

Amen. Don't understand hatred of guys who have done nothing to deserve hatred. He's gonna be 25 in February so I just wish they'd make him everyday catcher. Is he gonna have to wait forever? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I feel this way . Have to find out what we have . Remember Hostetler saying they've would've taken him 1-1 in the draft ? Just because of that and everything they've invested in him I don't see him being traded. Sox need some draft wins because only Collins, Madrigal and Vaughn of the 1st round picks are still healthy but all still a mystery going forward ,too.

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Not saying I think they should, but I just have a feeling they don’t want to rely on him next year.

It seems to me they had time play him the last month or so of the season but didn't. It doesn't seem the Sox are very high on him behind the plate. I really like his bat and had high hopes for him but if we sign Grandal he won't get much time catching and I'd hate to see him DH'ing all the time, I'd rather trade him. I honestly think his offense will be every bit as good as Grandal's an only get better. Maybe the 3 catcher thing will work out because I'd hate to lose him but if trading him gives us someone we really need an like then....

I'm not big on Grandal because I still have hope for Collins. I'm also not a scout so

9 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I feel like three or four of the most frequent posters on Soxtalk hate him for some reason.  So there is a general feeling that hes a bust based on a handful of loud voices.   It does seem like the organization has given up on him being a catcher...but power, LH and amazing OBP should make him an attractive part of the team.  I'm excited for him.  

You make an excellent observation...a few loud voices often sound like everyone thinks like they do.  I'm not saying they are right or wrong...just loud.

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not saying I think they should, but I just have a feeling they don’t want to rely on him next year.

I think in a perfect world, you find a way to give him every day at bats without relying on him. If you sign Grandal, let Collins be the every day DH. If he struggles, you can slowly give him less at bats (start DHing McCann or whoever else might be hitting well...perhaps the guys who started at 2B or CF before Madrigal and Robert are up). 

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 1

DH him against righties and see what he is. Give him at least 300 PA’s to start the year before any decisions are made. If he can get 500 PA’s and maintain a .360+ OBP and hit 20 hrs he will be valuable to the Sox. Fill SP and RF with multi year pieces to build on and fill DH with Collins and a cheap RH platoon.  

34 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think I’m a perfect world, you find a way to give him every day at bats without relying on him. If you sign Grandal, let Collins be the every day DH. If he struggles, you can slowly give him less at bats (start DHing McCann or whoever else might be hitting well...perhaps the guys who started at 2B or CF before Madrigal and Robert are up). 

I still think the Grandal/McCann/Collins DH/C trio is the way to go.  Yasmani is effective against both righties (career 119 wRC+) & lefties (114 wRC+) and can pretty much play everyday between the two spots.  McCann has a career 117 wRC+ against LHP and can be the primary backup catcher.  Collins was league average against RHP last year (and probably much better if you exclude his initial stint) and I fully expect him to be fairly effective in that capacity next year (primarily at DH) if given a chance.

I really think that trio could be very productive.  Obviously it would be nice to have an insurance policy in the event Collins bombs, but at least you’d have Sheets & Mercedes (assuming he’s not selected in the Rule 5) in AAA to provide some depth.  And honestly, acquiring a solid platoon bat shouldn’t be difficult or expensive mid-season.

I always thought Zack Collins was going to be the new Ted Simmons.  Simmons was not a great fielding catcher (Dwar of 5.0 TOTAL over 21 seasons) but he was a very good hitter.   He had a nine year stretch of putting up nearly 5 WAR per season.  Collins hasn't shown the batting average but has shown more power and walks than TS.  What has stalled my enthusiasm though is...why did the Sox only have him catch 50 games in Charlotte?  Why did he only catch 10 games in the majors last year of the 25 games he played in?   It seems like last year was the year you really wanted to find out what guys could do before moving all the chips in.  Seems like the White Sox are telling us they don't believe he can catch...or maybe they were telling us they love McCann...or maybe Collins had a sore knee...or maybe the pitchers have said they hate throwing to Collins?  Who knows.  Still the idea of paying Collins league minimum to be DH and back up 1B and maybe catch 40 or 50 games for the next few years while putting up an .850 OPS seems pretty valuable.  Again...just turning 25 so he could improve as a catcher in a year or two and then at 27 step in as full time C?  

• Like 1