What about Collins?

MeanJoeCrede

4 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

No, but I don’t think they are in onGrandal and I don’t really think they should be.

if they are, that certainly changes things. I probably try to trade Collins or move him to 1B permanently and forget about getting a DH. 

I follow your thinking. I also think Grandal is farther down the FO wish list than many posters seem to think. 

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Nobody will give up that much for McCann unless he repeats his first half...in which case, we’d undoubtedly be extending him for 2-3 years into the heart of the rebuild.

Understood. But a Grandal/McCann catching duo leaves very little catching opportunities for Collins. 

3 hours ago, zisk said:

Sox protected YMercedes today. what does that mean for Collins and Grandal going forward?

Not sure it means much for Collins and Grandal. It could mean that just want to keep a guy who showed a plus bat in AAA without letting him go for barely anything in the Rule 5. You never know when a  mostly bat only guy like him could turn into the next great DH . He good depth in case of injury .

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

Understood. But a Grandal/McCann catching duo leaves very little catching opportunities for Collins. 

I'm not sure about that. As a switch hitter Grandal is best against lefties. As a righty McCann is best against lefties. The majority of pitchers are righties which is who we will be seeing Collins against,

SO against a LH should see either Grandal or McCann catching with the other at DH

Grandal is better against righties than McCann and is a better pitch framer so Grandal would probably get the bulk of the starts at catcher but that leaves Collins to catch perhaps once a week while Grandal DH's. McCann would be on the bench against righties. I guess I'm making it sound like McCann would get the least amount of playing time but I'm sure he would also catch once in a while against righties, but ideally I'd want Grandal and Collins getting most of those AB's switching DH and catcher duties every so often with a bit of 1st base sprinkled in for both when you might want to rest Abreu against a tough righty.

It should also be noted that according to what I've been reading Giolito and Lopez were among the pitchers hurt the most by bad framing which is on McCann and  Castillo. I don't know how Collins is viewed as a framer yet but McCann and Castillo were pretty bad. Narvaez and Phegley were both listed higher than McCann and Castillo was near the bottom. Between McCann and Castillo we basically had some of the worst pitch framing in the league.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/catcher_framing

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, tray said:

Collins combined batting stats in 4 years at A, AA and AAA per baseball reference:

1,218 ABs 

431 SOs

.244 BA

.385 OBP

Nice fellow, but he is big and slow behind the plate and not a very good hitter.

Last year these are the cumulative stats for Sox 7, 8, and 9 hitters:

7th spot - .248/.303/.398

8th spot - .239/.305/.324

9th spot - .209/.281/.321

Collins is not a complete hitter by any means, but I would be willing to bet he could provide better production if given the chance. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tray said:

Collins combined batting stats in 4 years at A, AA and AAA per baseball reference:

1,218 ABs 

431 SOs

.244 BA

.385 OBP

Nice fellow, but he is big and slow behind the plate and not a very good hitter.

Oh look I can use stats too and the most recent ones which should count way more than when he was at A and AA.

The Sox had him up for a cup of coffee in June and July . He sucked. So he went back down to AAA to work on a few things.

So in July at AAA after being sent back down he hit

43 AB , .349 BA , .453 OBP ,  .488 SLG ,

.941 OPS . Pretty impressive but he was just getting warmed up for August.

80 AB, .338 BA , .455 OBP .763 SLG , 1.217 OPS .Monster numbers , These numbers are just ridiculously awesome even if it was for just 80 ABS . Combine it with July making it 123 AB's and they are still crazy good.

His last 8 games with the Sox 34 AB, .276 BA , .382 OBP , .552 SLG , .934 OPS . His full season stats at AAA

BA .282 , 403 OBP, .548 Slg , .951 OPS. I'd hardly call that "not a very good hitter."

If Collins can hit ,240 have an OBP of ,350 and hit 25 HR's he basically is Yasmani Grandal as a hitter without the switch hitting .We should all be hoping he can be a good enough catcher defensively to be the catcher of the future .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

If the Sox signed Grandal, would you guys be alright if Collins was the primary DH?

Not really. If we're going to spend that much money on a primary catcher, I don't trust that Collins is going to be anything better than an 8th/9th hitter next year, at least not until proven so.

I guess you can make me ok with it if you're signing Grandal and Stras and you have a good RF solution.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

If the Sox signed Grandal, would you guys be alright if Collins was the primary DH?

I wouldn’t necessarily look at it that way. Collins will DH a few times a week in that scenario but he’s not going to be DHing everyday. Grandal, McCann, Collins, Abreu, and Eloy will all split DH duties. 

13 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

This should be interesting...with the signing of Grandal I would still want Collins and McCann and Grandal to get maximum plate appearances (it will be good for the catchers, since they will get good rest.) Seriously, Is there any way Collins can play RF?

No Collins cant play RF..... This is almost as bad as Greg saying Anderson should be our Catcher.... 

13 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

This should be interesting...with the signing of Grandal I would still want Collins and McCann and Grandal to get maximum plate appearances (it will be good for the catchers, since they will get good rest.) Seriously, Is there any way Collins can play RF?

Grandal needs to but is there any way he is willing to give up the high(130ish ) number of games he catches. Maybe moving to an AL team and DH would placate his desire to play so many games for a catcher. 

15 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Grandal needs to but is there any way he is willing to give up the high(130ish ) number of games he catches. Maybe moving to an AL team and DH would placate his desire to play so many games for a catcher. 

In my opinion Collins needs over 500 plate appearances. McCann 500-550 and Grandal 600.

6 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Grandal has been pretty bad in the second half at the plate.  He's definitely going to be rotating between all 3 positions.  

I hope we keep Collins and he learns some stuff.  He literally could be a younger Yas at the plate.

Hawk, that you?  We’ve been missing those last weeks of 1967 stories for awhile now.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, soxfan3530 said:

Is he on his way to LA for Joc? 

I don't think so. I think he's on his way to DH/1B vs RHP. They're going to bring in a cheap RHH that kills lefties to platoon with him. He can also emergency catch if needed. The Sox need LH power and OBP. They'd be morons to not give him a look. They need to have a contingency plan in case he sucks. I say this as someone who isn't a fan of Collins. As long as he can make enough contact vs RHP and hit enough HRs, he should be a valuable DH. We know he has a great eye. 

Collins is going to DH vs RHP and McCann vs LHP. It's not that hard really. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

51 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think so. I think he's on his way to DH/1B vs RHP. They're going to bring in a cheap RHH that kills lefties to platoon with him. He can also emergency catch if needed. The Sox need LH power and OBP. They'd be morons to not give him a look. They need to have a contingency plan in case he sucks. I say this as someone who isn't a fan of Collins. As long as he can make enough contact vs RHP and hit enough HRs, he should be a valuable DH. We know he has a great eye. 

Collins is going to DH vs RHP and McCann vs LHP. It's not that hard really. 

Insert confused emoji.

Honestly, I think McCann is just that guy for 2020.  He'll catch against lefties, Grandal to DH or 1b, with Abreu taking the other spot. Collins gets starts against RHP, mostly at DH, but some C and 1B sprinkled in.  

51 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I wonder if the Sox could bring in Edwin Encarnacion on a 1 year deal to platoon with Collins at DH. That makes sense IMO.

I am not exactly opposed to EE, but if the Sox bring him in, Collins is definitely not on the MLB roster and is either in AAA or traded.  Just way too many 1B/DH types in that scenario to make it work on the roster.  

But if EE is cheap enough, its not a terrible idea.  Collins can get everyday reps in AAA, and he'll certainly get his opportunity. He does still have 2 options.