Update: Pomeranz to Padres

bmags

https://www.mlb.com/news/drew-pomeranz-could-be-next-relief-ace

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-pomeranaissance/

I would admit that I kinda missed this revelation on Pomeranz. I knew he had converted to a reliever but not his dominance.

His upside could be the perfect bet for Sox position. We’ve been connected to Betances so far, so it would seem we are targeting some higher potential RPs.

Update: signed to padres per Rosenthal

12 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

The Statcast podcast had a good segment on him. It's worth the listen, but the general point was that very few people who put up numbers like he did end up being bad. So while it might be a smaller sample, he might actually be less volatile than other relievers.

He increased FB velo from 91-93 as a starter to 95-96 as a RP.  That's nothing to scoff at from a LHP.  The only issue I would have is the IP he had with Milwaukee was 26 innings.  I'd be a little hesitant just based on the SSS.  If he is fine being a RP I don't see why he wouldn't be an option.  He wouldn't be breaking the bank and there is clearly something there.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He increased FB velo from 91-93 as a starter to 95-96 as a RP.  That's nothing to scoff at from a LHP.  The only issue I would have is the IP he had with Milwaukee was 26 innings.  I'd be a little hesitant just based on the SSS.  If he is fine being a RP I don't see why he wouldn't be an option.  He wouldn't be breaking the bank and there is clearly something there.

I could go back and listen, but I think that was the point. Other guys who had similar numbers over small samples all ended up doing well outside of one person who got injured.

3 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Pomeranz is likely to get paid a lucrative multi year deal because of his dominant stint with the Brewers. Expect him to have a ton of suitors as well for a 2+ year deal. 

I wouldn't give him too much based on a little more than 20 innings. The fangraphs article seemed to give all the credit to his fastball improving a tick. He's 30. Does that mean if he loses a tick, he's a gas can again? He's always struck guys out. He did have a couple of decent years starting. I just think giving him decent money for more than a year is silly.