White Sox Offseason Rumors

teorey23

37 minutes ago, flavum said:

A lot of out-of-town ignorance there, but I agree with Sherman’s overall theme of trying to get deeper. It’s time to at least crack 81-81 and be positioned for sustained playoff appearances in 2021-25. 

I agree with getting deeper, but there's 0 reason to only aim for the Homer Bailey/Porcello/Calhoun tier of players as a complete off-season. 

6 hours ago, Orlando said:

Not a huge fan of most of Joel Sherman's ideas. Dom Smith? Homer Bailey? Yuck

If this were to be the WhiteSox offseason plan I would be pissed.

They could sign Grandal, Wheeler, Rendon, Kuechel, Betances and trade for Starling Marte/Joc/Nimmo/Mancini and barely squeak by in the top 10 for payroll. 

Rick, Kenny, and mainly Jerry need to really have a stellar offseason especially after last year’s debacle otherwise, and I can only speak for myself, I lose all faith in them ever building a winner. 

Edited by teorey23
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, teorey23 said:

They could sign Grandal, Wheeler, Rendon, Kuechel, Betances and trade for Starling Marte/Joc/Nimmo/Mancini and barely squeak by in the top 10 for payroll. 

Rick, Kenny, and mainly Jerry need to really have a stellar offseason especially after last year’s debacle otherwise, and I can only speak for myself, I lose all faith in them ever building a winner. 

Just get ready 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, teorey23 said:

I'd be furious, too.  The pressure's on as far as I'm concerned.  This is the first offseason where there's truly no excuse not to sign premium free agents:  we have clear needs, there are elite players available to fill them, we have a surplus of payroll room, and we're coming into our supposed contention window.  If we don't get it done and other clubs do it's just a clear concession we're not serious.

(Last offseason was damn close to "no excuse" as well, but I guess they could say it was a year or two early, and they also just got "surprised" on Machado, who they thought they had in hand. )

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I'd be furious, too.  The pressure's on as far as I'm concerned.  This is the first offseason where there's truly no excuse not to sign premium free agents:  we have clear needs, there are elite players available to fill them, we have a surplus of payroll room, and we're coming into our supposed contention window.  If we don't get it done and other clubs do it's just a clear concession we're not serious.

(Last offseason was damn close to "no excuse" as well, but I guess they could say it was a year or two early, and they also just got "surprised" on Machado, who they thought they had in hand. )

The pressure should be on to start winning. It's not on to spend money, it's not on to make trades. The only thing that matters is winning going forward. How they do it is up to them. If they don't win, then out they go. This is the season where should start to become competitive.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The pressure should be on to start winning. It's not on to spend money, it's not on to make trades. The only thing that matters is winning going forward. How they do it is up to them. If they don't win, then out they go. This is the season where should start to become competitive.

LOL promotions and raises don't count.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Obviously.  But it's kind of obtuse to treat (a) spending money on baseball players (whose "win" contribution can be calculated) and (b) building a winning baseball team as if they're two completely separate things.  Foregoing opportunities to add multi-win players to your roster when you have the resources to do so is a bad thing to do when trying to build a winning roster. 

• Like 1