Omar Vizquel will not return to managing in white sox system in 2020

Whisox05

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t understand what Getz is implying as the reason for the parting of ways.  Why would we want to part ways if he was great at everything?  I wonder if they did not like certain aspects of his coaching (like desire to platoon actual prospects) or if he possibly asked for a promotion to AAA.

He's a former big league legend who probably wasn't going to stay in the low minors long anyway. He probably wanted a raise and promotion and I'm sure the Sox will hire someone who cost less. Getz was just giving the standard speech that comes with the real reasons being private.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

There's still a disconnect between "out with the old, in with the new" and keeping Renteria as the big league manager.

If they (FO) really are (still) strong believers in Cooper and Renteria, how the heck are they going to align that throughout their system because those two guys are so idiosyncratic in their ways.

I guess I get the "Wolverine Synergy" between Hahn and Getzie, but where does it lead to as an organizational philosophy?

There’s an article in the Athletic about how the Sox use analytics with the pitching staff. Don Cooper and Curt Hasler are both learning how to use them and learning everything they can to understand them. It’s been posted a couple times in the past week.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t understand what Getz is implying as the reason for the parting of ways.  Why would we want to part ways if he was great at everything?  I wonder if they did not like certain aspects of his coaching (like desire to platoon actual prospects) or if he possibly asked for a promotion to AAA.

This is very common business speak for we are firing someone we respect. He was fired, nothing more.

What I find interesting is what this means for others who are gaining influence in the org, and if this is reference to some scapegoating. 

The main points in this thread that -doing and teaching - are entirely different skill sets, as well as if this means Getz and Jircshele are gaining traction are dead on. 

I'm still curious to understand if this is about a decision tree fight at the top. Hahn proving his point at a lower level, vs Kenny and Jerry types. Hahn, rightly understands that he has a desirable executive position in high demand, is slow playing his influence and introduction to change, so he can keep his job and try to make change. This may be a trial balloon for the next round of manager candidates and philosophy to free agency. I believe this portends the signings this off season will be smaller, short term, and analytics driven then most expect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

There’s an article in the Athletic about how the Sox use analytics with the pitching staff. Don Cooper and Curt Hasler are both learning how to use them and learning everything they can to understand them. It’s been posted a couple times in the past week.

I am not saying there is a correlation between analytics and arm injuries, but jesus christ have we had a lot of Tommy John surgeries lately.

While we’re here, I hope the Sox don’t lose sight having coaches who excel at player development at the ML level. 

Yes, their window of contention is approaching but they can’t afford to lose focus on player development when teams like the Dodgers, Astros and Yankees are stressing it at every level of their organizations. 

I’d like to see the Sox bring some college coaches into the org. 

Edited by Joshua Strong

4 hours ago, Cashman said:

I am not saying there is a correlation between analytics and arm injuries, but jesus christ have we had a lot of Tommy John surgeries lately.

There is a significant correlation between analytics and elbow injuries. The analytics show that the harder you throw, the more strikeouts you get this less opportunity to for plays.

Research shows the harder you throw more frequently, the more likely you are to injure the UCL.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So do they bump Jirschele up to AA after this?  The only real complication I see is Zaleski is kind of paired up with him (which I like) and would they move actually Dotson somewhere else?

I have a feeling that Zaleski will become the Minor League Pitching Coordinator. 

Sounds like a move that needed to be made.  Can't have a guy looking out for only himself at the instructional levels.  I'm glad we got the vid of him playing catch out of it tho.  Never seen a guy that makes catching it with the outside of the glove like that look so magical.  

Edited by chitownsportsfan

• 2 weeks later...

I had not read through this since it didn't seem that impactful but pretty surprised how pointed that Getz statement is compared to what they usually trot out. He must have really not been taking instructions well from PD staff.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I had not read through this since it didn't seem that impactful but pretty surprised how pointed that Getz statement is compared to what they usually trot out. He must have really not been taking instructions well from PD staff.

And it must have been well known throughout the league. 29 other teams passed on him too. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

If true...good to see the FO do something proactively.

Omar is a different kind of guy. He probably knows his chances of managing at the major league level are getting smaller by the minute. He is also around 50, and the trend is a little younger, plus heavy analytics and front offices taking over a lot of the managing. He probably doesn’t need the money. Maybe in Mexico he can actually manage how he would like whatever it is, I doubt he ever gets an MLB managerial job. His style is outdated and he probably would want to actually manage and not take direction from upstairs.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Omar is a different kind of guy. He probably knows his chances of managing at the major league level are getting smaller by the minute. He is also around 50, and the trend is a little younger, plus heavy analytics and front offices taking over a lot of the managing. He probably doesn’t need the money. Maybe in Mexico he can actually manage how he would like whatever it is, I doubt he ever gets an MLB managerial job. His style is outdated and he probably would want to actually manage and not take direction from upstairs.

It's best we found out now.