FS: White Sox Protect Seven Players in Advance of Rule 5 Draft

Rankin

On 11/21/2019 at 11:10 AM, cjgalloway said:

Anyone have any list of decent NON TENDEDERED guys that the Sox could target?

Did you mean players that are eligible for the Rule 5 Draft rather than Non Tendered ? The Non tendered players list doesn't come until Dec. 2nd.

On 11/21/2019 at 12:33 PM, cjgalloway said:

Also of note.. I must have been protected from Rule 5 because I see that I am now a "40 man roster" poster.. how exciting..

But really, Sheffield will get taken for sure.  I doubt he makes it to us.

It took me a moment to figure out what you meant.  I am a Minor League Manager. I have no idea where these designations come from. :)

• Rankin unpinned this topic
9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why is Rutherford everyone's favorite target ? Why single him out when Gonzalez, Adolfo and Basabe have just as much to prove  especially when he is the youngest of that group ?

Because some people were frustrated with that trade and thought we could have gotten more. Then they take their frustrations out on Rutherford when he isn't performing. I personally liked the trade, but I really think that is why Rutherford is an easy target for people.

Let's say Basabe was the second main piece of the Sale trade and we didn't get Kopech.  People would be furious with Basabe right now and he'd be getting similar treatment that Rutherford is.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Because some people were frustrated with that trade and thought we could have gotten more. Then they take their frustrations out on Rutherford when he isn't performing. I personally liked the trade, but I really think that is why Rutherford is an easy target for people.

Let's say Basabe was the second main piece of the Sale trade and we didn't get Kopech.  People would be furious with Basabe right now and he'd be getting similar treatment that Rutherford is.

You're probably right.I just take all emotion out of the equation when evaluating any player so I didn't take what you just said into consideration.

I think its mainly because Rutherford came to the Sox with a (Yankee tainted) pedigree.  Former 1st rounder and top 100 prospect.  Basabe and Gonzalez both sucked last season, but neither were top 100 prospects at any point.  Hard to really read much into Adolfo's 2019 - patience is warranted there.  

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You're probably right.I just take all emotion out of the equation when evaluating any player so I didn't take what you just said into consideration.

but what if you really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want that player to be good??

30 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think its mainly because Rutherford came to the Sox with a (Yankee tainted) pedigree.  Former 1st rounder and top 100 prospect.  Basabe and Gonzalez both sucked last season, but neither were top 100 prospects at any point.  Hard to really read much into Adolfo's 2019 - patience is warranted there.  

Yankee tainted ? Hmm Is that really a thing ? Is that because it's the Yankees and the east coast bias that Yankees prospects get hyped a lot more and thus are over rated ? Seems to me the Yankees are pretty good at drafting and developing. Just because there's more press and therefore more written about those prospects doesn't mean they should be considered any better. All it means is they become more well known.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yankee tainted ? Hmm Is that really a thing ? Is that because it's the Yankees and the east coast bias that Yankees prospects get hyped a lot more and thus are over rated ? Seems to me the Yankees are pretty good at drafting and developing. Just because there's more press and therefore more written about those prospects doesn't mean they should be considered any better. All it means is they become more well known.

Yes, I don't think there is any doubt that large market team prospects get overvalued.  I don't think I am the first person to come up with that theory. 

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yes, I don't think there is any doubt that large market team prospects get overvalued.  I don't think I am the first person to come up with that theory. 

Oh I know it's true for the reasons I listed. I suppose I shouldn't have asked if that's really a thing because I know it is.