Grandal - Early Off-Season Speculation

SonofaRoache

1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

I offer 3-60 with option for fourth.  24-20-16 and 16 option.  The payment structures gives us an advantage over teams near cap and drops salary when we have to start paying our own.  

I like the structure. He may want a bigger guarantee on the team option option.

In any event, this offseason is going to look much better if it starts with a Grandal signing.  

Didn't Grandal turn down that Mets offer expecting to beat it, only to have to settle for the Brewers offer when the Mets went in a different direction.  Heyman's tweet implies that Grandal chose the 1 year deal over the 4 year deal, which I think is incorrect.

In any event, will be interesting to see if Grandal's experience last offseason affects his choices this offseason, namely, he will sign early if given a reasonable 3-4 year offer rather than playing the long game and risk the market drying up.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

I offer 3-60 with option for fourth.  24-20-16 and 16 option.  The payment structures gives us an advantage over teams near cap and drops salary when we have to start paying our own.  

Salaries are averaged over the life of a contract for luxury tax reasons so no benefit there unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Salaries are averaged over the life of a contract for luxury tax reasons so no benefit there unfortunately.

Could theoretically benefit the sox a bit though, as they'd be paying him less as our guys are getting more expensive, giving us a tad more to spend elsewhere.  If Sox are ever worried about luxury tax issues, I'll be a very shocked man.  

Edited by ChiSox59

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Could theoretically benefit the sox a bit though, as they'd be paying him less as our guys are getting more expensive.  If Sox are ever worried about luxury tax issues, I'll be a very shocked man.  

He was saying to front load the contract to make it more difficult for teams close to the luxury tax threshold to match.  It will be a cold day in hell before the Sox ever have to worry about that.

Just now, poppysox said:

Grandal is my #1 want for position players.  A fair offer probably lands him.  He won't want a repeat of last year.

A fair offer will get laughed at by him. He’s going to have a huge market, as the Reds already are supposedly gearing up for him

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Grandal is my #1 want for position players.  A fair offer probably lands him.  He won't want a repeat of last year.

Grandal is agreat player and would welcome him with open arms, but don't we have bigger needs than a C? Like SP, RF, DH, and as of now, 1B

20 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Grandal is agreat player and would welcome him with open arms, but don't we have bigger needs than a C? Like SP, RF, DH, and as of now, 1B

I said #1 position player.  The forum has beaten to death the starting pitchers, RF, DH and RP's needs and I have commented numerous times on the various possibilities.  My feeling is that Grandal/McCann/Collins handles the DH problem while upgrading the catching.  I am not a big fan of one dimensional DH types.

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I said #1 position player.  The forum has beaten to death the starting pitchers, RF, DH and RP's needs and I have commented numerous times on the various possibilities.  My feeling is that Grandal/McCann/Collins handles the DH problem while upgrading the catching.  I am not a big fan of one dimensional DH types.

Nor am I...I could potentially get behind that

25 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Nor am I...I could potentially get behind that

I'm behind DHs that can rake. For me that is their job and what this team needs desperately. My fear is that we will not be able to land Grandal if we miss out on Martinez. Martinez has only a few realistic options and we are in a great spot to get him. Grandal will have about 5 or 6 teams looking at him and can be selective. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

Same here. I think he should be #1 on the priority list for positional players. Sox went after him last offseason, hopefully they can offer him something not incentive based.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm behind DHs that can rake. For me that is their job and what this team needs desperately. My gear is that we will not be able to land Grandal if we miss out on Martinez. Martinez has only a few realistic options and we are in a great spot to get him. Grandal will have about 5 or 6 teams looking at him and can be selective. 

I'm all for JDM as well and don't think that's far fetched at all...far more likely than Cole, Strasburg, Rendon

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Pass. Not a fan at all of a monster deal for a soon to be 31 year old catcher that I feel is very overrated defensively.

Aren’t you the guy pushing to sign JD Martinez to play RF and suggesting NL teams won’t shy away? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Aren’t you the guy pushing to sign JD Martinez to play RF and suggesting NL teams won’t shy away? 

Not pushing it but simply pointing out it’s a possibility. It’s unlikely an NL team signs JDM but at a discounted price in the range of $17M AAV I believe you’d find at least a couple NL teams interested.

And what does JDM have to do with overrated Grandal anyway?

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Not pushing it but simply pointing out it’s a possibility. It’s unlikely an NL team signs JDM but at a discounted price in the range of $17M AAV I believe you’d find at least a couple NL teams interested.

And what does JDM have to do with overrated Grandal anyway?

JD Martinez is a not a major league quality OF. Yet you think he can play the OF everyday. But then you’re concerned about Grandals defense, despite him being widely considered at worst an average defensive catcher.

Seems inconsistent. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

JD Martinez is a not a major league quality OF. Yet you think he can play the OF everyday. But then you’re concerned about Grandals defense, despite him being widely considered at worst an average defensive catcher.

Seems inconsistent. 

It’s simple. I’ve watched Grandal catch quite a bit and I believe he’s much closer to the career 16 bWAR player per BR than the career 32 fWAR player per FG. At just a tick over 2 bWAR per season that’s not bad but he’s going to get paid much more than most 31 year old 2 WAR/season catchers would. Pass.

Regarding JDM, he’s best suited as an AL DH but I also believe he could very well post a 3 WAR season next year as an OF, ala 2019 Jorge Soler (also not a major league quality OF).

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Haha 1