Grandal - Early Off-Season Speculation

SonofaRoache

8 hours ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

I am very high on Castellanos bat, and somewhat less concerned with his defense than most. My biggest concern with him is signing him forces the Sox to make a long term commitment to being defensively challenged in the outfield corners, which potentially hurts development of the young pitchers. I wouldnt hate taking a flyer on Puig, who actually plays RF, and will be cheap, but it wouldnt excite me. I agree with you on Dickerson, but coming off an injury, numbers usually regress and we potentially end up with Jon Jay 2.0. Calhoun is the player most likely to turn into Alonso or any of about 15 or so other free agent busts on the South Side, where you can see all the reasons on paper where it could work, but some combination of age, diminishing skill set, possible changes to the ball next year, etc. leads to a .213/.288/ .402 line. Ozuna just makes absolutely no sense to me. Trading for Joc gives us a 3 WAR player and leaves us options for next year.

I agree.  Joc  appears to be the safe bet.

1 hour ago, bschmaranz said:

I don't get how people are concerned with Castellanos glove but playing Joc on RF is ok?  Or are they talking about him for DH?

Also only for 1 season, whereas you're likely committing to at least 4 years with Castellanos.  So now you either have a poor OF defense for the next 4 years, or you have an expensive DH with a slightly over league average bat. 

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, its less than ideal.  But most lefties don't hit lefties well, and Leury can play some RF against lefties.  He hits lefties very well.  

So, let me get this straight:

Posters want to trade from a soon-to-be ~20th or so ranked system (once Robert/Madrigal arrive) for a platoon player w/1 year of control in Pederson,

Or

Buy high on a butcher in Castellanos whose improvement at the bat can largely be explained by the juiced ball in 2019. (See league average ops in 2019 vs 2018: https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/bat.shtml )

Are these really the best solutions for RF at this point? 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

This is why I like trying to get Benintendi with Eovaldi , especially if Chaim Chaim Chaim  is a fool and will eat 1/2 of his remaining salary.

My second choice would be Castellanos with the hope he improves defensively. Castellanos has that winning mentality and braggadocio that does not show up in  war stats.   There is value to hitting a home run and demoralizing the opposition with a little bravado...you know, like  TA's bat toss.  Castellanos has a bit of that in his game.

1 hour ago, tray said:

This is why I like trying to get Benintendi with Eovaldi , especially if Chaim Chaim Chaim  is a fool and will eat 1/2 of his remaining salary.

My second choice would be Castellanos with the hope he improves defensively. Castellanos has that winning mentality and braggadocio that does not show up in  war stats.   There is value to hitting a home run and demoralizing the opposition with a little bravado...you know, like  TA's bat toss.  Castellanos has a bit of that in his game.

Rays' execs usually make unwise decisions from a financial standpoint... 

4 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Posters want to trade from a soon-to-be ~20th or so ranked system (once Robert/Madrigal arrive) for a platoon player w/1 year of control in Pederson,

Or

Buy high on a butcher in Castellanos whose improvement at the bat can largely be explained by the juiced ball in 2019. (See league average ops in 2019 vs 2018: https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/bat.shtml )

Just how I feel about it.

5 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Or

This is great analysis on Castellanos, who...actually had a worse year in 2019 than 2018.

His improvement largely coincided with moving to the cubs, where he moved out of a power suppressing stadium and his numbers shot up. That aligns with his own and others beliefs that he may be a better offensive player outside detroit.

But his home run numbers weren't much different than his career last year, he just had a ton of doubles. 

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think Dickerson is a viable RF.

The Pirates outfielder spent two seasons playing JUCO ball before being drafted by the Rockies in the 8th round of the 2010 draft. At the time, he was thought of as a fringe-average defender at best, and one evaluator told Baseball America Dickerson's arm graded out well below-average after undergoing labrum surgery as a high schooler in 2007.

Just over a decade later, Dickerson is now an all-star (2017) and a Gold Glove winner (2018).

He joins Kyle Glaser to discuss his development path. Dickerson also sheds light into his uncharacteristically poor 2016, saying he was more injured than people were led to believe.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/corey-dickerson-joins-the-baseball-america-podcast/

27 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Pirates outfielder spent two seasons playing JUCO ball before being drafted by the Rockies in the 8th round of the 2010 draft. At the time, he was thought of as a fringe-average defender at best, and one evaluator told Baseball America Dickerson's arm graded out well below-average after undergoing labrum surgery as a high schooler in 2007.

Just over a decade later, Dickerson is now an all-star (2017) and a Gold Glove winner (2018).

He joins Kyle Glaser to discuss his development path. Dickerson also sheds light into his uncharacteristically poor 2016, saying he was more injured than people were led to believe.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/corey-dickerson-joins-the-baseball-america-podcast/

Doesn’t seem like his arm will play in RF.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Doesn’t seem like his arm will play in RF.

Shouldn’t be AS big a concern with the smaller RF...that said, I don’t think anyone particularly enamored with Avi or Puig.  Ozuna definitely is out for RF, Castellanos has plenty of concerns (contract size, value at DH, defense), Gardner’s just a short term option...Mazara can barely get his fWAR over 1, no easy answers.

Reddick?  He really struggled last year, wonder what his splits are with the sign stealing fiasco...?

Back to trading for Polanco or Marte?  Nimmo, etc.

Seems this whole RF issue just goes around and around in circles with no easy answers considering it’s a corner spot.