Abreu Signs 3/$50M Extension

BigHurt3515

3 years, 46 million basically - that deferred money really shouldn't be counted.

That's not a bad deal at all; basically a 2 year 28 million dollar extension. That's fine.

Edit: I just realized that 4 million was not being assigned to a year. So wrong.

Double edit: On second glance it looks like the 4 million in the final year is deferred so the final year is really 14 million.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They are going to make him more expensive when the rest of the roster should and hopefully, start getting expensive. 

For all the times this team has decided to go with a generic brand because of cost and been burned, this is a very curious extension, and again I am a Jose Abreu guy.

Edit: I'm wrong. 

Double Edit: I was right I think, that 4 million is tied to the last year and is deferred.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I really don't understand this. 3rd year not only should have been an option...it should have been heavily team friendly. Our cash to be spent is drying up fast and I don't see the need to do this other than Jose is a mentor. I'm sorry, 12 mil a year to mentor would be fine. 

This changes the cash nada; in fact, it gives them 2 million extra this year.

Didn't seem necessary to give him a third guarantee year, would've liked to see 2 years with a handsome "buyout" which would be more or less a thank you gift. 

This whole contract seems like the thank you gift though. I get what he did for you, and at a bargain for 6/68, so if JR wants to throw him some extra money I can see that (as long as it doesn't come out of future budgets), it's not great business, but i can see that angle. But in no world is Abreu worth $16-17mm a year when Edwin Encarncion is going to settle for 1 year and like $8-10mm. This won't end up being a TERRIBLE deal, but it's definitely taking undue risk and paying over market salary. But whatever. If there's someone to have faith in work ethic in -it's Jose. He's going to try and earn every last dollar and put in the work, let's just hope he doesn't break down too bad. 

The man deserves a run with the Sox when they're good - hopefully he can be the 2022 hero with like a walk off home run. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Sadly, I think this is all about financial flexibility in 2020 with cutting his number down to $11 million  to be able to add another big contract (pithcher).  I thought we were beyond that point, of looking for financial flexibility this early in the process.    I don't get it. 

Its 16 million this year.

24 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Sadly, I think this is all about financial flexibility in 2020 with cutting his number down to $11 million  to be able to add another big contract (pithcher).  I thought we were beyond that point, of looking for financial flexibility this early in the process.    I don't get it. 

With the signing bonus, its $16M in 2020.  That saves $1.8M.  This has nothing to do with financial flexibility in 2020, and everything to do with the Sox being loyal to their guy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Wasn't there something out there a few years ago that Abreu didn't particularly care for Puig?

I don't know, but some random on Twitter (I know) was in my mentions with screenshots of someone who supposedly has info on the Sox having extended Puig an offer already. So maybe the timing of this is to make Puig accept the offer? And you can bet if the Sox actually sign Puig or offered him a contract that they have already talked to Abreu about him and if he would be a good fit.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24