Abreu Signs 3/$50M Extension

BigHurt3515

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Think there is no chance Abreu moves to full time DH next year?

He may be aluding to Vaughn being better than Abreu already, which I would agree with. Regardless, Jose refuses to DH full time. I hope he's ready to next year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Think there is no chance Abreu moves to full time DH next year?

There is little-to-no change Hahn and Co. signed him without communicating to him his future is at DH. Sox would be ridiculous if they didn't put that out there when signing him to an above market deal.

My post more towards Vaughn will be pushing to be on the MLB roster this summer. I think we'd be better off with Vaughn at 1B and using the DH as a flexibility position moving forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Vaughn is going to make this contract extension even more dumb.

Didn't you hear? Jose's extension is the reason Robert, Eloy, and Moncada signed extensions. Without Jose those guys give up and refuse to play for the White Sox. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Look at the Chicago Bulls as a reference. The perception that they don't take care of their own has led to them signing no stars, while every other decent sized market can. If you listen to the players talk you can tell they love Jose. Look at their reactions to his extension. They did get paid, but that money could have come from another team. Moncada could have forced a trade in two years if he wanted, or held out for a much bigger dollar total.

Also, all over twitter our very own fans were begging for Jose to come back long term. Lastly, Jose's value will increase when he moves to DH next year. He loses a lot of value because of his defense. If he focuses all of his attention on hitting and being a leader, the contract while be fine. 

Numerous posters here mentioned the intangibles which add value to what Jose brings but he is still devalued by others. In this lineup he could have a better year than last year. His glove is what it is. Perhaps more Cubanos will follow to the Sox. I really wish the Sox could play some games there but we no longer have detente with Cuba. 

21 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Didn't you hear? Jose's extension is the reason Robert, Eloy, and Moncada signed extensions. Without Jose those guys give up and refuse to play for the White Sox. 

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, raBBit said:

There is little-to-no change Hahn and Co. signed him without communicating to him his future is at DH. Sox would be ridiculous if they didn't put that out there when signing him to an above market deal.

My post more towards Vaughn will be pushing to be on the MLB roster this summer. I think we'd be better off with Vaughn at 1B and using the DH as a flexibility position moving forward.

Extension or not, I don't think they would release Abreu (would be here anyway accepting QO). If anything, Edwin would currently be blocking him if he tears it up in the minors. Team might be in a spot to promote Vaughn and release a 37-year old EE mid-summer the way signing aging DHs has worked.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Extension or not, I don't think they would release Abreu (would be here anyway accepting QO). If anything, Edwin would currently be blocking him if he tears it up in the minors. Team might be in a spot to promote Vaughn and release a 37-year old EE mid-summer the way signing aging DHs has worked.

Yes, if we are just hovering around .500 (which in my opinion would be okay for 2020), then I could see EE being shipped to a contender for a prospect if Vaughn is killing and needing a promotion anyways.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

8 hours ago, pcq said:

Numerous posters here mentioned the intangibles which add value to what Jose brings but he is still devalued by others. In this lineup he could have a better year than last year. His glove is what it is. Perhaps more Cubanos will follow to the Sox. I really wish the Sox could play some games there but we no longer have detente with Cuba. 

Abreu v Bryant 2019

Jose  634 AB  85 R  180 H 38 2B 33 HR 123 RBI 36 BB 152 K 834 OPS 2.4 WAR 119 OPS+ 117 wRC+

KB    543 AB 108 R 153  H 35 2B 31 HR 77  RBI 74  BB 145 K 903 OPS 3.6 WAR 131 OPS+ 135 wRC+

33 minutes ago, pcq said:

Abreu v Bryant 2019

Jose  634 AB  85 R  180 H 38 2B 33 HR 123 RBI 36 BB 152 K 834 OPS 2.4 WAR 119 OPS+ 117 wRC+

KB    543 AB 108 R 153  H 35 2B 31 HR 77  RBI 74  BB 145 K 903 OPS 3.6 WAR 131 OPS+ 135 wRC+

I don't understand what you're trying to do here..

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, raBBit said:

With the Mocada extension, I have been watching a lot of his highlights playing 3B. There have been a handful or so throws that were either high or Jose had to stretch to get. That is something I am concerned about Vaughn being 6ft and playing 1B. I am not saying Vaughn can not play 1B, just a tad concerned with how small he is.

On 3/7/2020 at 10:30 AM, Jack Parkman said:

@raBBit

We have no idea if signing Abreu helped get Robert and Moncada locked up. That's more important than having a flexible DH. 

If it did, it was well worth it. 

With this in mind the Jay and Alonso signings were worth it last year.

• Haha 1

Let's wait till the summer, abreu is always bad in April when it is cold but when it gets warm he usually heats up too. Of course he is getting older and there is risk but even if he is bad his last year the sox have the financial flexibility to afford that plus they can get an extra year of service time out of vaughn if they keep him down till end of next April.

• 6 months later...
4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Thus it is already paid off in my mind.  I would have never have thought that.  I liked him but how they hell do finally become a good fielder? 

It's clear he's probably in the best shape of his MLB career right now. Go look at some videos from 2016 or even his rookie year. He looks considerably slimmer now than he did back then.

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1