Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BigHurt3515

Abreu Signs 3/$50M Extension

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Thus it is already paid off in my mind.  I would have never have thought that.  I liked him but how they hell do finally become a good fielder? 

It's clear he's probably in the best shape of his MLB career right now. Go look at some videos from 2016 or even his rookie year. He looks considerably slimmer now than he did back then.

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad Jose didn't come here 3-5 years sooner.  He would have close to HOF numbers.  Don't laugh, look em up.  6 great years, 1 so-so year (injured).  Just sayin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldsox said:

Too bad Jose didn't come here 3-5 years sooner.  He would have close to HOF numbers.  Don't laugh, look em up.  6 great years, 1 so-so year (injured).  Just sayin.

If he plays well for 5 more years, gets about 350 hr, and has an MVP under his belt, then being from Cuba and not being able to come to the US until he was 27 should put him in the Hall. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even those of us who were in support of this extension (myself included) did not see this type of year coming.

Even Jerry Reinsdorf did not see this type of year coming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Even those of us who were in support of this extension (myself included) did not see this type of year coming.

Even Jerry Reinsdorf did not see this type of year coming.

lol of course not

Even the biggest Abreu supporters on this board didn't expect him to eclipse his rookie year production in his age 33 season. 

I personally didn't think 3 years was good at the time, but I also didn't think we were wasting money or anything (6 WAR for Abreu over 3 years is a reasonable projection). At the very worst, we're gonna break even on this contract extension now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that pace is sustainable but I do hope he keeps that shape next year. He does look slimmer, maybe the prospect of being on a winning team motivated him while until 2019 the team had no chance anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 7:59 PM, bmags said:

I missed this. 
 

I think this was unwise but it is what it is. Jose is a lovely white Sox, he’s done nothing but produce (but I think he will be unlikely to continue to).

 

I do just hate the idea the Sox have that the rest of baseball is so stupid in signing top talent to expensive long term deals but do stuff like this and don’t bat an eye and consider themselves being aggressive.

Phew, this wasn’t bad!

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bmags said:

Phew, this wasn’t bad!

well to be fair maybe they can just play 60 games a year going forward might help the aging jose 💪

that said, Jose just mashed this year.  He tied his rookie wRC+ of 167 and he absolutely mashed breaking balls for the first time in his career.  His pull rate was down but his ISO was up -- that's hard to do.   All impressive stuff.  It's not like he got lucky, he just turned into a really good hitter, which for various parts of his career he's been.  The consistency has been the problem, obviously.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Even those of us who were in support of this extension (myself included) did not see this type of year coming.

Even Jerry Reinsdorf did not see this type of year coming.

I can honestly say I saw it coming.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

well to be fair maybe they can just play 60 games a year going forward might help the aging jose 💪

that said, Jose just mashed this year.  He tied his rookie wRC+ of 167 and he absolutely mashed breaking balls for the first time in his career.  His pull rate was down but his ISO was up -- that's hard to do.   All impressive stuff.  It's not like he got lucky, he just turned into a really good hitter, which for various parts of his career he's been.  The consistency has been the problem, obviously.

I didn’t want three years but had it been two, with this year being so short, the idea of next year being the last with Jose would make me ill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't post in this thread but dear lord, y'all had to go and remind me of Chisox378's existence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bmags said:

I didn’t want three years but had it been two, with this year being so short, the idea of next year being the last with Jose would make me ill.

I still think it's pretty likely year 3 goes not great. Would love to be wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abreu with 6 LOB today.  Had the right guy up at the right time.  Just didn't work out.

I expect Jose to have a big game tomorrow.  I would like to see him bat 3rd with Grandal hitting cleanup for protection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wegner said:

Abreu with 6 LOB today.  Had the right guy up at the right time.  Just didn't work out.

I expect Jose to have a big game tomorrow.  I would like to see him bat 3rd with Grandal hitting cleanup for protection.

I wish he woulda taken the first pitch in the last AB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I wish he woulda taken the first pitch in the last AB

You have the right to feel that way. But obviously it's second-guessing. What if he rips it in the gap? Then he's a genius pouncing on the first pitch. It's disappointing sure. I'm more disappointed Semien and Bassitt beat the Sox today. I actually think the Sox have the better team. On to Game Three. Hope the Sox win.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I wish he woulda taken the first pitch in the last AB

he got his pitch and crushed it, unfortunately it was right at a fielder. I dont get your thought process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

he got his pitch and crushed it, unfortunately it was right at a fielder. I dont get your thought process.

It's called second guessing. It'll take place as long as there are fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there are several factors to why he was so good this year. 

1. He is slimmer and fitter than usually

2. Avoiding the cold: jose hates the cold and is usually not good the first 4-6 weeks. This year he started the season when it was hot

3. A bit of luck. His .379 xwoba is a career high (only since 2015 available) but still he got a little lucky with a .404 actual wOBA.

 

Regarding the final out yesterday: it was a great decision to swing first pitch here. He is clearly the best hitter of the team and it was two out. If he walks it is 4-5 and mazara is up with 2 out.

I definitely take the chance of jose getting a hit and tying it over hoping mazara gets on and ties or wins it vs a lefty or McCann in case he pinch hits there.

Edited by Dominikk85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think there are several factors to why he was so good this year. 

1. He is slimmer and fitter than usually

2. Avoiding the cold: jose hates the cold and is usually not good the first 4-6 weeks. This year he started the season when it was hot

3. A bit of luck. His .379 xwoba is a career high (only since 2015 available) but still he got a little lucky with a .404 actual wOBA.

 

Regarding the final out yesterday: it was a great decision to swing first pitch here. He is clearly the best hitter of the team and it was two out. If he walks it is 4-5 and mazara is up with 2 out.

I definitely take the chance of jose getting a hit and tying it over hoping mazara gets on and ties or wins it vs a lefty or McCann in case he pinch hits there.

For what it is worth, Ricky did indicate post game that he was going to use McCann to pinch hit for Mazara there if it got to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×