Abreu Signs 3/$50M Extension

BigHurt3515

Just now, oldsox said:

Too bad Jose didn't come here 3-5 years sooner.  He would have close to HOF numbers.  Don't laugh, look em up.  6 great years, 1 so-so year (injured).  Just sayin.

If he plays well for 5 more years, gets about 350 hr, and has an MVP under his belt, then being from Cuba and not being able to come to the US until he was 27 should put him in the Hall. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Even those of us who were in support of this extension (myself included) did not see this type of year coming.

Even Jerry Reinsdorf did not see this type of year coming.

lol of course not

Even the biggest Abreu supporters on this board didn't expect him to eclipse his rookie year production in his age 33 season. 

I personally didn't think 3 years was good at the time, but I also didn't think we were wasting money or anything (6 WAR for Abreu over 3 years is a reasonable projection). At the very worst, we're gonna break even on this contract extension now.

On 11/22/2019 at 7:59 PM, bmags said:

I missed this. 

I think this was unwise but it is what it is. Jose is a lovely white Sox, he’s done nothing but produce (but I think he will be unlikely to continue to).

I do just hate the idea the Sox have that the rest of baseball is so stupid in signing top talent to expensive long term deals but do stuff like this and don’t bat an eye and consider themselves being aggressive.

Phew, this wasn’t bad!

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

Phew, this wasn’t bad!

well to be fair maybe they can just play 60 games a year going forward might help the aging jose 💪

that said, Jose just mashed this year.  He tied his rookie wRC+ of 167 and he absolutely mashed breaking balls for the first time in his career.  His pull rate was down but his ISO was up -- that's hard to do.   All impressive stuff.  It's not like he got lucky, he just turned into a really good hitter, which for various parts of his career he's been.  The consistency has been the problem, obviously.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

well to be fair maybe they can just play 60 games a year going forward might help the aging jose 💪

that said, Jose just mashed this year.  He tied his rookie wRC+ of 167 and he absolutely mashed breaking balls for the first time in his career.  His pull rate was down but his ISO was up -- that's hard to do.   All impressive stuff.  It's not like he got lucky, he just turned into a really good hitter, which for various parts of his career he's been.  The consistency has been the problem, obviously.

I didn’t want three years but had it been two, with this year being so short, the idea of next year being the last with Jose would make me ill.

8 minutes ago, wegner said:

Abreu with 6 LOB today.  Had the right guy up at the right time.  Just didn't work out.

I expect Jose to have a big game tomorrow.  I would like to see him bat 3rd with Grandal hitting cleanup for protection.

I wish he woulda taken the first pitch in the last AB

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I wish he woulda taken the first pitch in the last AB

You have the right to feel that way. But obviously it's second-guessing. What if he rips it in the gap? Then he's a genius pouncing on the first pitch. It's disappointing sure. I'm more disappointed Semien and Bassitt beat the Sox today. I actually think the Sox have the better team. On to Game Three. Hope the Sox win.

• Like 1

I think there are several factors to why he was so good this year. 

1. He is slimmer and fitter than usually

2. Avoiding the cold: jose hates the cold and is usually not good the first 4-6 weeks. This year he started the season when it was hot

3. A bit of luck. His .379 xwoba is a career high (only since 2015 available) but still he got a little lucky with a .404 actual wOBA.

Regarding the final out yesterday: it was a great decision to swing first pitch here. He is clearly the best hitter of the team and it was two out. If he walks it is 4-5 and mazara is up with 2 out.

I definitely take the chance of jose getting a hit and tying it over hoping mazara gets on and ties or wins it vs a lefty or McCann in case he pinch hits there.

Edited by Dominikk85

4 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think there are several factors to why he was so good this year. 

1. He is slimmer and fitter than usually

2. Avoiding the cold: jose hates the cold and is usually not good the first 4-6 weeks. This year he started the season when it was hot

3. A bit of luck. His .379 xwoba is a career high (only since 2015 available) but still he got a little lucky with a .404 actual wOBA.

Regarding the final out yesterday: it was a great decision to swing first pitch here. He is clearly the best hitter of the team and it was two out. If he walks it is 4-5 and mazara is up with 2 out.

I definitely take the chance of jose getting a hit and tying it over hoping mazara gets on and ties or wins it vs a lefty or McCann in case he pinch hits there.

For what it is worth, Ricky did indicate post game that he was going to use McCann to pinch hit for Mazara there if it got to him.