Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BigHurt3515

Abreu Signs 3/$50M Extension

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

With the signing bonus, its $16M in 2020.  That saves $1.8M.  This has nothing to do with financial flexibility in 2020, and everything to do with the Sox being loyal to their guy. 

Thanks for clarifying. I asked a question earlier about whether the signing bonus would count toward 2020, but now I'm realizing that was a stupid question. If it didn't count, then teams would just call large chunks of a contract a "signing bonus" to get around the tax penalties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as Jerry looks at it as “Jose’s money lives outside of whatever salary cap we are targeting” I’m good with this. I really love Abreu and always have. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Greg Hibbard said:

As long as Jerry looks at it as “Jose’s money lives outside of whatever salary cap we are targeting” I’m good with this. I really love Abreu and always have. 

Well put, I just fear he'll factor it in long term which is very annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Silly move. I love being loyal, but we should have done this on a year to year basis with Abreu.

Even this guy gets it. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Anyone else feel like this is a Jerry move more than a Rick move?

Yes.  Definitely loyalty move (ie JR). 

Also, nothing to get worked up about, it won't effect signing of any pitcher.  If they don't get the pitcher they want it won't be because of this deal, the pitcher just picked someone else or the Sox didn't want to go that high for them regardless of Jose.

I don't personally like the 3rd year, but it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I would be very interested to hear what critics of this deal think Jose’s numbers need to be over this contract to justify it

Considering his lack of defensive value, pretty damn good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I would be very interested to hear what critics of this deal think Jose’s numbers need to be over this contract to justify it

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the entire White Sox offense was competent enough to where Jose didn't feel the pressure to have to be the man. I like the guy, I am just worried he is at that age, and the type of player, who seems to lose it fast. Who knows, maybe he's like Paulie and a guy who many thought wasn't worth his money puts up bigger numbers in his 30s.  There are bad signs in the data, and good signs. We will see what happens. 

I think they could have got off better giving him the QO and letting the rest play out. 

Having him play on a good team may be a good start.

Edited by Dick Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the entire White Sox offense was competent enough to where Jose didn't feel the pressure to have to be the man. I like the guy, I am just worried he is at that age, and the type of player, who seems to lose it fast. Who knows, maybe he's like Paulie and a guy who many thought wasn't worth his money puts up bigger numbers in his 30s.  There are bad signs in the data, and good signs. We will see what happens. 

I think they could have got off better giving him the QO and letting the rest play out. 

Having him play on a good team may be a good start.

I think he’s a smart enough hitter and good enough to age well. Just my two cents 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the entire White Sox offense was competent enough to where Jose didn't feel the pressure to have to be the man. I like the guy, I am just worried he is at that age, and the type of player, who seems to lose it fast. Who knows, maybe he's like Paulie and a guy who many thought wasn't worth his money puts up bigger numbers in his 30s.  There are bad signs in the data, and good signs. We will see what happens. 

I think they could have got off better giving him the QO and letting the rest play out. 

Having him play on a good team may be a good start.

Do you have any examples of players comparable to Jose who "lost it fast" beginning at age 33?  Not saying you're wrong, but I'm trying to think of someone who went off the cliff as quickly as you are suggesting he could.  I can't call to mind any such examples.  

Seems like there are many more examples of DH type guys who go well into their late 30s continuing to bomb the ball.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I would be very interested to hear what critics of this deal think Jose’s numbers need to be over this contract to justify it

Better than last year probably

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from being just stuck with him as our DH for 3 years, I see a scenario where we get a shitty RF because of this.  If this doesn't hamper how much money they are going to spend fine.  It's still a terrible deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I would be very interested to hear what critics of this deal think Jose’s numbers need to be over this contract to justify it

This doesn't answer your question, but his numbers might even get better with Moncada, Eloy, and Grandal hitting around him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yasmani specifically mentioned “following Abreu to the promised land” so I think that this may be more about rewarding Abreu and landing free agents than anything. Players love him. Look at their reactions on twitter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a deal like this, I just don’t get bent out of shape over it because there’s no cap. I know who the owner is. But this one just doesn’t bother me. On to the next one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Yasmani specifically mentioned “following Abreu to the promised land” so I think that this may be more about rewarding Abreu and landing free agents than anything. Players love him. Look at their reactions on twitter

There you go.  A man who gets it.  These are humans.  Good on you man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

This doesn't answer your question, but his numbers might even get better with Moncada, Eloy, and Grandal hitting around him.

This is a good point.  He's going to be surrounded by some very good hitters.  He's probably going to see better pitches because of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this somehow leads to a goodwill that allows the Sox to keep Moncada and Robert on the Southside long term, then OK.  Abreu truly is a tremendously likeable man with both his teammates and the fans.  Having great people who give back to the community like Abreu and Anderson just make it that much easier to root for the Sox.

  • Like 4
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wegner said:

If this somehow leads to a goodwill that allows the Sox to keep Moncada and Robert on the Southside long term, then OK.  Abreu truly is a tremendously likeable man with both his teammates and the fans.  Having great people who give back to the community like Abreu and Anderson just make it that much easier to root for the Sox.

Agreed; winning is great, and fun, but winning with good people feels so much more rewarding. It doesn't define my fanhood, but guys like Timmy make the game more fun and my fanhood more enjoyable.

#TimForMayor

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get the hatred for Abreu.   The guy led the league in RBIs this year on a team that should only become more offensive over the length of this deal.   I'm not saying his numbers will always lead the league, but he should be good for 100+ RBIs and 20+ HRs every year of this deal.   That's a valuable bat despite his defense.    I'm glad to have him on board for the next couple of World Series titles.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

One thing is for certain: Collins is expendable.

I was saying I could see him being trade bait before and now that seems more plausible.

As for this deal, I could have lived with two years at $18M/per but damn does that third year really fuck up potential roster flexibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Robert, Moncada, Grandal and Jose, the Sox have the inside track on the Cuban pipeline. Maybe there will be more fellow countryman coming to the South Side, in the next few years. Perhaps that's one of the intangibles in this move. It's all part of the tradition started in the 50's, with Minnie Miñoso.

Edited by Lillian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×