Abreu Signs 3/$50M Extension

BigHurt3515

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll be honest Ray, this is a completely lame defense and you come off as a company man when you can’t be critical of anything this front office does.  I don’t even think this is a Hahn / KW thing, but there is real risk a 34 / 35 year old 115 wRC+ DH falls off a cliff and becomes a real problem for us both from a roster & financial standpoint.  Saying otherwise is quite frankly ridiculous.

A company man because I like Abreu and couldn't care less about paying him 14 million dollars in 2022 when that'll be worth about 11 million?

If you were already giving him 18 million, and you're arguing that the additional 28 million and two years is going to cripple or hamper the organization than this team never had a chance of succeeding in the first place.

• Like 2

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

A company man because I like Abreu and couldn't care less about paying him 14 million dollars in 2022 when that'll be worth about 11 million?

If you were already giving him 18 million, and you're arguing that the additional 28 million and two years is going to cripple or hamper the organization than this team never had a chance of succeeding in the first place.

Stop defending shitty process because they might get away with it.  You don't get away with shitty process over a long time frame.  See the last 15 years on the South Side.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I’m sorry bro, but what are the terms of these deferred dollars that has caused you to discount them to zero.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Bingo.  And saying "I wouldn't be surprised to see an uptick" based on a cherry picked Konerko is pretty lame as well.  I'd also say there's a good chance he gets fat and happy now that he knows he doesn't have to worry about producing and he's basically set for life given this contract and what he's already made.

Yeah, because he's shown a lot of signs of being lazy. Work ethic typically is driven from an internal desire to be great at what you do; it's not typically driven by compensation.

What a joke this post is. Again, you're absurd anti-Abreu bias is laughable.

Goldschmidt was a better hitter than Abreu when he signed his deal, but he was only one year younger and he got 5 years, 130 million dollars. That equates to Abreu being worth about 50% of what Goldschmidt was worth. While Goldschmidt was overpaid, so this is an overpay for Abreu, it's not nearly as egregious as it's being painted. 

I’m sorry bro, but what are the terms of these deferred dollars that has caused you to discount them to zero.

1 million dollars a year paid on July 1st from 2023-2026. 

The money absolutely should not be counted here. As I said, that's more of a thank you gift on his way out. It has no impact on the 2022 budget and certainly shouldn't impact the 2023-2026 budgets.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

It's not like this is an 8 or 10 year deal, at some huge yearly amount. Moreover, Jose seemed to be in the best shape, I can remember, this last season. While it's always a risk that a player will become lazy an apathetic, once he gets a big contract, Abreu doesn't strike me as that type. All of these players' contracts are a gamble, so I don't see anything particularly alarming about a 3 year deal for a position player. Sorry, I just can't get worked up about this. 

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Stop defending shitty process because they might get away with it.  You don't get away with shitty process over a long time frame.  See the last 15 years on the South Side.

Exactly...I’m not asking anyone to be enraged over this, but let’s call a spade a spade.  This is a JR special and $14M two years from now could prevent us from adding a key missing piece.  Unless JR isn’t including this contract in our payroll forecasts, money will remain a limited resource and this could potentially take away much needed flexibility.  I’m not going to lose sleep over this, but it’s more than fair to be critical of a loyalty overpay.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So again, if 2 years 28 million is going to cripple this franchise or hamper them going forward then sustained success never ever stood a chance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

It's not like this is an 8 or 10 year deal, at some huge yearly amount. Moreover, Jose seemed to be in the best shape, I can remember, this last season. While it's always a risk that a player will become lazy an apathetic, once he gets a big contract, Abreu doesn't strike me as that type. All of these players' contracts are a gamble, so I don't see anything particularly alarming about a 3 year deal for a position player. Sorry, I just can't get worked up about this. 

Also, he's been set for life the second he signed with the Sox?

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

1 million dollars a year paid on July 1st from 2023-2026. 

The money absolutely should not be counted here. As I said, that's more of a thank you gift on his way out. It has no impact on the 2022 budget and certainly shouldn't impact the 2023-2026 budgets.

Lol...your spin knows no bounds!

This is an overpay and a JR loyalty move.  If he sucks they release him there is no hit to salary cap or anything like that.

I think there is more benefit to him being around than we know.  Hoping extensions for Moncada and Robert are the result. 

A lot of yelling at the clouds the last two days with the White Sox actually spending money in these two threads.

Both moves are solid baseball moves.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So again, if 2 years 28 million is going to cripple this franchise or hamper them going forward then sustained success never ever stood a chance. 

Unfortunately we live in a financially constrained world, so $14M can be the difference between a legit free agent closer and Carson Fulmer.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I've said repeatedly it's a slight overpay but should have no impact on their ability to compete or win games, and I am happy to reward people like Abreu as that's how business works in the real world.

What business world do you live in?!?!?!?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I've said repeatedly it's a slight overpay but should have no impact on their ability to compete or win games, and I am happy to reward people like Abreu as that's how business works in the real world.

This is pro sports tho, which doesn't work like the "real world" where interpersonal relations are big and keeping a sales guy that has them is important.  This is sports, production is the only thing that matters and in baseball that's what you do when your spot is up in the order and the ball is hit to you in the field.

One needs to only look across town to the Bulls to see how rewarding loyalty (hello Jim Boylen!) works.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...your spin knows no bounds!

How is it a spin?

He is being paid 14 million dollars in 2022, not 18 million. The spin is people claiming he's being paid 18 million in year 3, and that it hampers the flexibility. That's simply not true. 

His check will be for 14 million dollars, which in 2022 will be slightly more than a utility player will receive.

• Like 1

Soxtalk was up in arms over the Sox being cheap when they couldn't beat San Diego's deal for Machado, but 50 million for the "face of the franchise"" over the past 6 seasons while the team has been horrible, who is as classy of a player as you'll get, who is also fairly valuable... and we complain they overpaid.

Jesus Fucking Christ people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

This is an overpay and a JR loyalty move.  If he sucks they release him there is no hit to salary cap or anything like that.

I think there is more benefit to him being around than we know.  Hoping extensions for Moncada and Robert are the result. 

A lot of yelling at the clouds the last two days with the White Sox actually spending money in these two threads.

Both moves are solid baseball moves.  

Has Jerry ever allowed us to release one of his favorites when they fell off a cliff?

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I echo these thoughts. I'm not saying that it's a great deal and I concede that it may be a slight overpay. However, I just don't understand this over the top negative reaction. Is this really going to significantly alter the front office's plans? The irony here is that while many complain about J.R. being "cheap," they seem even more critical of what might be considered a display of generosity and gesture of gratitude. I don't get it.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately we live in a financially constrained world, so $14M can be the difference between a legit free agent closer and Carson Fulmer.

Yes, but this is only true if Abreu's production falls off a cliff.  If that $14M is not there in 2022, then neither is a DH. So we'd have to pay somebody for that position. It's not like the extra $14M is just added in a vacuum. The whole roster configuration changes.