Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, kevtrem said:

I feel like Joc would fit so well to balance our lineup against RHP.  However, the Dodgers had the luxury of esstentially only playing him against RHP (~50AB against LHP each of the last three seasons). So acquiring Joc this year or targeting for 2021 would require us to build out some ML depth or acquire his lefty-bashing platoon partner. 

Leury hits LHP well enough that he could be the LHP platoon guy for a guy like Joc or Peralta. 

16 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I think it's Micker Adolfo.  Klaw loves him still...he's got big power and a huge arm and would be great in our time line.  That said...the Sox had terrible luck this year with their second string of prospects.  I suspect this year by All Star game two or three of Dane Dunning, Stiever, Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford, Lugo, Hansen Flores, Burger, Lambert, Walker will step forward and look exciting.  So sign Puig or Avi for a year and if none of the step-forward candidates are RF's...use them to trade for someone like Marte.  

it wont be Dunning or Lambert. They aren't even expected back  till mid season or later. Getting anything but relief innings from Hansen  would be a plus. Burger who the heck knows anything about him? He should ve been back last year but something always held him back. Surprised you didn't mention Burdi but he's been looking like one of those guys who doesn't just bounce right back from TJS.

14 minutes ago, kevtrem said:

I feel like Joc would fit so well to balance our lineup against RHP.  However, the Dodgers had the luxury of esstentially only playing him against RHP (~50AB against LHP each of the last three seasons). So acquiring Joc this year or targeting for 2021 would require us to build out some ML depth or acquire his lefty-bashing platoon partner. 

(Adam Engel crushed LHP last year*)

(*in like 80 pas)

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve said it many times now, but the one guy who makes a ton of sense to me for RF is Brandon Nimmo.  Now to get him, what if instead of dealing with the Mets directly, we do a three way trade that gets them the CF they desire.  The most obvious partner for this scenario would be the Pirates with Starling Marte.  He seems like a guy that is almost certain to be moved this offseason and there are already rumors of the Mets’ interest:

Given the Pirates appear to be on the cusp of a rebuild they would likely be willing to take some prospects that aren’t major league ready.  Would a package built around Collins, Stiever, & Walker potentially work?  I know there’s no top 100 prospect in there (cue Balta stating the package is worthless), but that’s three guys in the 100 to 200 range and the Pirates might be willing to take a more quantity over quality approach if they’ve got a long rebuild ahead of them.

Strong defender right handed hitter ? Heck sounds like Engel to me. Straight up Engel for Nimmo . Done and done ! ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I think it would have to be more for Marte...3 war 2 consecutive seasons and has essentially a 2/23M contract. That’s a lot of excess value for a very good player. 

Hard to come up with a deal that another team couldn’t easily beat without involving 1 of Vaughn, Madrigal, Kopech, Robert or Cease...which obviously we don’t want to do. Maybe Lopez + Collins is a good enough starter to draw them in? Add in a Steiver or Walker as the 3rd piece and I think we would have a shot. Steiver + Walker as the 2nd and 3rd pieces for an all-star level player would be way too much of question marks for me if I was a pirates fan. Not like Collins is a can’t  miss A level prospect. 

Sox have very little starting quality pitching of left in the minors . Go look at our top 30 prospects, It's Stiever, Pilkington and Flores some guys just drafted from High School. Lambert and Dunning won't be back until mid season at the earliest. If the Sox traded any of those guys I'd be very surprised.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sox have very little starting quality pitching of left in the minors . Go look at our top 30 prospects, It's Stiever, Pilkington and Flores some guys just drafted from High School. Lambert and Dunning won't be back until mid season at the earliest. If the Sox traded any of those guys I'd be very surprised.

Fair point, you could be correct...to me that would mean Marte or any all-star level RF is unobtainable without trading any of the untouchable prospects tho. I think collins would have interest on the trade market, but we’d be shopping a tier lower if he’s the center piece of a package in my opinion. Which is perfectly fine...I’d be happy with someone like Haniger or Nimmo, or even vets like Reddick, Markakis or FA Gardner that probably wouldn’t even cost Collins 

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Fair point, you could be correct...to me that would mean Marte or any all-star level RF is unobtainable without trading any of the untouchable prospects tho. I think collins would have interest on the trade market, but we’d be shopping a tier lower if he’s the center piece of a package in my opinion. Which is perfectly fine...I’d be happy with someone like Haniger or Nimmo, or even vets like Reddick, Markakis or FA Gardner that probably wouldn’t even cost Collins 

I also think Collins is severely underrated around here even though he got quite a bit of support in the Collnis thread. I suppose the negative voices are the loudest because everyone is unsure about his catching and he looked bad the 1st time up.

Someone like Mendick didn't set the world on fire at Charlotte at least not the way Collins did and he did great in his SSS time with the Sox. Plus Collins put up crazy numbers in July and August when he went back down and finished with very strong numbers in his last 8 games with the Sox (yes very SSS and cherry picking).

Remember the Sox got Colome for Narvaez and he was a terrible catcher with good OBP and limited power (supposedly) with not much of a minor league track record. Obviously a late bloomer who the Sox thought they were selling high but turns out they sold low on him. Compare what Collins did in the minors to Narvaez and Collins blows him away. I think Collins has a lot of value being a LH , high OBP power bat even with questionable catching skills Do we really think he is worth any less than Narvaez was even with Narvaez having been in the bigs for a few years but with only around 700 PA's but showing a slight uptick every year before he was traded. The whole reason why we are all so stoked about getting Grandal is he is a scarcity, a good hitting switch hitting catcher w/ great framing skills and high OBP but he's an otherwise mediocre catcher defensively.

Collins has a chance, in my view, tobe a strong part of what makes Grandal so rare, good hitter, high OBP and likely even more power. so all he has to do is become a good framer and everyone will be able to live with mediocre catching skills like they do with Grandal. Now is not the time to start dealing prospects for veterans . I could however see a prospects for prospects trade for a LH/SH hitting OF who is ML ready.

Sam Hilliard who had a big season in AAA then came up with the Rockies and performed well, is a big LH with big power and a high K rate who despite his size (6'5" 238) is pretty fast and a good arm. Of course it's possible the Rocks rather move Charlie Blackmon than Hilliard. Blackmon's defense is pretty shoddy .

The Rockies also have another AAA guy who got a look in the bigs, Jonathon Daza . He bats RH, doesn't K much, hits for high average but limited power. Defensively he's described as a ballhawk and has a 70 grade arm. He played CF in the Rockies system. Hilliard isi the 9th rated prospect and Daza 10th in the Rockies system. Both are 25 yrs old.

Anyone interested in looking at these guys  can go here http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=col

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I also think Collins is severely underrated around here even though he got quite a bit of support in the Collnis thread. I suppose the negative voices are the loudest because everyone is unsure about his catching and he looked bad the 1st time up.

Someone like Mendick didn't set the world on fire at Charlotte at least not the way Collins did and he did great in his SSS time with the Sox. Plus Collins put up crazy numbers in July and August when he went back down and finished with very strong numbers in his last 8 games with the Sox (yes very SSS and cherry picking).

Remember the Sox got Colome for Narvaez and he was a terrible catcher with good OBP and limited power (supposedly) with not much of a minor league track record. Obviously a late bloomer who the Sox thought they were selling high but turns out they sold low on him. Compare what Collins did in the minors to Narvaez and Collins blows him away. I think Collins has a lot of value being a LH , high OBP power bat even with questionable catching skills Do we really think he is worth any less than Narvaez was even with Narvaez having been in the bigs for a few years but with only around 700 PA's but showing a slight uptick every year before he was traded. The whole reason why we are all so stoked about getting Grandal is he is a scarcity, a good hitting switch hitting catcher w/ great framing skills and high OBP but he's an otherwise mediocre catcher defensively.

Collins has a chance, in my view, tobe a strong part of what makes Grandal so rare, good hitter, high OBP and likely even more power. so all he has to do is become a good framer and everyone will be able to live with mediocre catching skills like they do with Grandal. Now is not the time to start dealing prospects for veterans . I could however see a prospects for prospects trade for a LH/SH hitting OF who is ML ready.

Sam Hilliard who had a big season in AAA then came up with the Rockies and performed well, is a big LH with big power and a high K rate who despite his size (6'5" 238) is pretty fast and a good arm. Of course it's possible the Rocks rather move Charlie Blackmon than Hilliard. Blackmon's defense is pretty shoddy .

The Rockies also have another AAA guy who got a look in the bigs, Jonathon Daza . He bats RH, doesn't K much, hits for high average but limited power. Defensively he's described as a ballhawk and has a 70 grade arm. He played CF in the Rockies system. Hilliard isi the 9th rated prospect and Daza 10th in the Rockies system. Both are 25 yrs old.

Anyone interested in looking at these guys  can go here http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=col

As long as you realize that Collins is a 1B/DH who can catch on an emergency basis, you're they're fine. If Collins sucks in 2020 they have options. The only thing is that it's going to be hard for him to have a spot when Vaughn is ready. If he proves valuable in 2020, they could also potentially move Vaughn for a long-term answer in RF. I really don't like the amount of 1B/DH types that the Sox have right now. It would have made much more sense based on their current roster construction for them to have gone with Bleday over Vaughn. Especially if they were planning on re-signing Abreu to a 3 year deal. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

🤮

Usain Bolt is still unsigned after his aborted soccer career.

Could take down Dyson and Gore as designated PR’s like Rodney McCray back in the day.

With the extra roster spot, you can actually consider it...as a late innings weapon.

Edited by caulfield12

On 11/23/2019 at 6:17 PM, iWiN4PreP said:

Ideal: Mookie Betts signs next year with Puig as a short term stop gap this year

Good: N. Castellanos signs this year and rakes for us, although defense be dammed. 

Good: We trade some prospects for Starlin Marte and rock it out.

Mediocre: Puig as a short term gap and try the market again in the next year or two

The bad: Anything like Garcia/Engel etc. 

Wait, aren't your "ideal" and "mediocre" solutions the same thing, just stated in different order?

That aside, squandering money to buy high on a statue that can't catch a cold in Castellanos is a bad idea, IMO. (Never mind that he's a Boras client, and chasing him could cause us to miss out on other options while Boras uses us for leverage.) Similarly, trading from a soon-to-be barren system also seems to be a bad idea.

Were it me, I'd prefer either a cheaper gamble on Puig/Avi, or sign Akiyama to play CF and shift Robert to play RF. Either solution is a gamble. But neither would be crippling to other future moves to add or to extend extant players, IMO.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

My hope for RF in 2020 would be, in this order:

1. Castellanos. It's only money, so sign him. Throw in Leury for defense in late innings when the Sox have a lead.

2. Benintendi via trade.  

3. Tsutsugoh  to platoon (against RHP) with Leury (against LHP)

• Like 1

I like Benintendi but I'm not sure be has the arm for RF and while he's a lefty with a good eye the power isn't there. Plus we'd have to eat salary from BOS in the trade.

Just gjve me Joc for a year and we will figure out a permanent solution next year after seeing whether any of the kids in the minors can step up. Oh issue is LAD reportedly wanted Bummer last time and that's not a good trade for 1 yr of Joc. Hopefully they are more reasonable this time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Wheeler is priority #1 after we signed Grandal, then we grab Castellanos IMO.  I keep saying this over and over and beating a dead horse, but his bat translates so well to the Cell.  i can put up with bad defense due to his bat.

I now don't see the fit of Castellanos since we commited to Abreu 3 years... We simply can't have him as the every day RF for 3 years with his defense... Unless they truly think he can become passable and average. With all that said.... I'd still be okay risking it.

Edited by cjgalloway

5 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I now don't see the fit of Castellanos since we commited to Abreu 3 years... We simply can't have him as the every day RF for 3 years with his defense... Unless they truly think he can become passable and average.

It looks like when you shrunk the field and took him out of Comerica, his UZR (non-UZR/150) went from -4.5 to -0.6, still below average and quite better than his -12.9 from 2018.... It's essentially mitigating his below average defense when you put him in a field like the Cell for 81 games, as it shows with him being in Wrigley.  His arm also went to 0.3 while in Wrigley to.

2019 UZR/150 (DET): -6.3

2019 UZR/150 (CHC): -2.0

2018 UZR/150 (DET): -12.3

Edited by Soxnfins
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

It looks like when you shrunk the field and took him out of Comerica, his UZR (non-UZR/150) went from -4.5 to -0.6, still below average and quite better than his -12.9 from 2018.... It's essentially mitigating his below average defense when you put him in a field like the Cell for 81 games, as it shows with him being in Wrigley.  His arm also went to 0.3 while in Wrigley to.

2019 UZR/150 (DET): -6.3

2019 UZR/150 (CHC): -2.0

2018 UZR/150 (DET): -12.3

Have people actually watched Castellanos play defense?  Or do they just look at the defensive stats and say, "He sucks!"

Shogo Akiyama should be in the conversation. Not tremendous power, 20 homers last year, but known to be a very good defender. Turning 32, so a switch from CF to RF would seem appropriate. Good average and OBP, .303/.392 last season over 143 games. 12 stolen bases. I don’t think he’ll be very expensive, even though a few teams have interest. I like the balance and good defense he could provide. Good to have a Japanese fan support base as well. 

Just gimme Calhoun. Shouldn't cost much which allows you to spend more on pitching, adds another lefty, gives you a gold glove defender to go with Robert to really cover for Eloy, and as a bottom 3rd of the order guy his power potential is gonna look really good. 

Look to add Mookie next year. 

I know he strikes out alot, but what about Corey Dickerson. He had 28 2B in 279 Plate Appearances last season.

Or, maybe even better in my opinion depending on the price of Dickerson, is to save the money for pitching, throw Adam Engel in CF and let Mendick play RF.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I know he strikes out alot, but what about Corey Dickerson. He had 28 2B in 279 Plate Appearances last season.

Or, maybe even better in my opinion depending on the price of Dickerson, is to save the money for pitching, throw Adam Engel in CF and let Mendick play RF.

God - This is some of the worst trolling I have ever seen in my life.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I initially had Dickerson in my post, but decided on just Calhoun. I'd be ok with either.

Hoping that 2nd part is sarcasm. In house I'd rather have Leury.

19 minutes ago, scs787 said:

In house I'd rather have Leury.

Leury does not help the team better than Engel who can atelast play defense and steal bases and Mendick who is a better hitter than Leury. Leury Garcia strikes out way too much and does not look confident in the outfield.

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.