Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

As noted previously, Pederson at least gives you positional flexibility to stick him in CF preventing (hopefully) more Engel appearances.

I think getting pederson assures more appearances for Engel against LHP tbh.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

If we get wheeler and push into a good bullpen, I would be okay with Reddick (again, apologies to @caulfield12) This would be to push into a big signing of Springer/Betts next year.

I am attracted to adding his 10% walk rate/12%k rate to our lineup, though for some reason I expect that k rate to go up..........

It's not plan A, obviously.

His BB rate dropped to 6.5% last year, which is 1.5 points below his career rate.  He’s posted two straight years of OBP’s around .320.  His power is pretty bad for a corner OF.  His defense is now average to slightly below.  I’d much rather give Calhoun $8M than go with Reddick.  Hell, I’d rather go with Souza.  Signing a 33 year old with a one win ceiling makes no sense to me.

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Reddick sucks...but at $8-9 million, who knows between him and Calhoun who’s the better value.

Of course, in that case of a subsidy from Houston, we’re going to have to surrenders some second/third tier prospects like Burdi, Fulmer and Hansen.

Lol...no we wouldn’t.  The Astros would love to get rid of Reddick and would basically take nothing and eat some salary.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Or you get a right-handed corner bat to pair him with.

I'm probably alone in thinking engel is actually worthwhile in this role. I do think as a platoon he'd be more than adequate and the defense is worthwhile.

I think sox should see what Kendrick is looking for this offseason. Gets us a great veteran, great bat, can get us to Madrigal, and he has played a small amount of outfield, otherwise can be shifted around our dh/1b/2b positions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I'm probably alone in thinking engel is actually worthwhile in this role. I do think as a platoon he'd be more than adequate and the defense is worthwhile.

I think sox should see what Kendrick is looking for this offseason. Gets us a great veteran, great bat, can get us to Madrigal, and he has played a small amount of outfield, otherwise can be shifted around our dh/1b/2b positions.

I'm also on the Kendrick train.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Engel is definitely quite useful on a 26 man roster IMHO

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His BB rate dropped to 6.5% last year, which is 1.5 points below his career rate.  He’s posted two straight years of OBP’s around .320.  His power is pretty bad for a corner OF.  His defense is now average to slightly below.  I’d much rather give Calhoun $8M than go with Reddick.  Hell, I’d rather go with Souza.  Signing a 33 year old with a one win ceiling makes no sense to me.

All valid. I just think it's worth exploring supplementing the offense with additional contact and seeing if sequencing improves. I'd prefer quite a few but if Reddick could come with additional benefit to sox I'd look into it.

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

Either way I guess they were looking at him so take that for whatever it's worth.

There's still quite a few teams that need catching.  I wouldn't mind trading him if we can get back something nice.

The catching situation around the league is pretty dire. On one hand I like what James brings to the team and obviously we have the McCann/Giolito bromance, but if some team is willing to pay up prospects wise, I don't think I could resist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

You are not alone on Engel.  I think he is a very worthwhile bench piece.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I was on the Astros reddit last night and there was an article or Tweet or something about them looking at James McCann.

Seth Beer is probably a big overpay.

Beer is not on the Astros anymore... He was in the Greinke deal. . We will get a 45 FV prospect for McCann.. Don't get your hopes up

21 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

Beer is not on the Astros anymore... He was in the Greinke deal. . We will get a 45 FV prospect for McCann.. Don't get your hopes up 

I think McCann's trade value will be determined in part by supply and demand.  McCann is an under 30 yr.old  major league catcher that can hit for average, decent power, play decent defense, and was selected to the All Star team last season.  My glass is more than half fill on McCann's trade value. I am hoping for the gaddamn moon.

1 hour ago, tray said:

I think McCann's trade value will be determined in part by supply and demand.  McCann is an under 30 yr.old  major league catcher that can hit for average, decent power, play decent defense, and was selected to the All Star team last season.  My glass is more than half fill on McCann's trade value. I am hoping for the gaddamn moon.

McCann has plenty of value to the WS.  Any trade acceptable to our FO should be an overpay.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.