Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

29 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Imagine the Starlin Marte ideas should start swelling here soon now that he has essentially demanded a trade to a contender, and the Sox *might* fit that category if he is paying attention.

You just started them. 😆

44 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Imagine the Starlin Marte ideas should start swelling here soon now that he has essentially demanded a trade to a contender, and the Sox *might* fit that category if he is paying attention.

You moving Eloy to RF then in that scenario?

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Why wouldn't Marte go to RF?

Because he's never played RF in his career before? Just because a guy is elite in one position doesn't mean he'll be great at the other. Hell I remember the Royals quickly squashing that decision with Alex Gordon in RF years ago (if I'm not mistaken, he's rarely played over there after that)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Because he's never played RF in his career before? Just because a guy is elite in one position doesn't mean he'll be great at the other. Hell I remember the Royals quickly squashing that decision with Alex Gordon in RF years ago (if I'm not mistaken, he's rarely played over there after that)

I think Marte would excel in RF.  He has s great arm and plays the wall very well.

36 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think Marte would excel in RF.  He has s great arm and plays the wall very well.

He's always had the arm (alot of which makes him an analytical darling) but it's still a different position in terms of angles out there. I think he'll be solid, just not elite. Although with our defense in general, it's a major step up.

Edited by SoxAce

19 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

CAREER 812 KS TO 196 WALKS FOR MARTE..... If we want that type of production we can find it in our farm system. I'd rather go with players that can walk and get on base.

Career OBP is .341 - this would:

a) Give him the third highest OBP on the White Sox

b) Make him 44 points higher that Billy Hamilton’s career OBP

c) all of the above

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, RTC said:

Career OBP is .341 - this would:

a) Give him the third highest OBP on the White Sox

b) Make him 44 points higher that Billy Hamilton’s career OBP

c) all of the above

We're not allowed to mention Hamilton amymore, it stings him too deep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

He's always had the arm (alot of which makes him an analytical darling) but it's still a different position in terms of angles out there. I think he'll be solid, just not elite. Although with our defense in general, it's a major step up.

You think he would be solid in RF, but would rather move Eloy, who is a bad defender, to RF, where defense is more important, and move the clearly better defender to the less demanding LF?

?????

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

You think he would be solid in RF, but would rather move Eloy, who is a bad defender, to RF, where defense is more important, and move the clearly better defender to the less demanding LF?

?????

You would have two elite defenders in LF and CF since Marte has never played RF (you know what he is in left) You can hide Eloy in RF and tell Robert to go get everything covered in right center. You think Jermaine Dye was good in RF when the Sox were good? 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

You would have two elite defenders in LF and CF since Marte has never played RF (you know what he is in left) You can hide Eloy in RF and tell Robert to go get everything covered in right center. You think Jermaine Dye was good in RF when the Sox were good? 

RF is not where you hide a bad outfielder. That would be LF, which is where Eloy already plays. This isn't slow-pitch softball.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I ask you again. Did you think Jermaine Dye was good in RF when the Sox were good? 

Nope. But his arm was a helluva lot better than Scotty Pods.

Why don't the Cubs hide Schwarber in RF and put their clearly better defender, Heyward, in LF?

This is baseball 101, so I assume you're just trolling right now?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think you're hurting your point more than helping it lol

I said Marte has never played RF in his career, he hasn't. (Heyward has never played LF in his career FYI) The Royals once upon a time tried Alex Gordon in RF because of his athleticism.. he wasn't that good out there so they left him in LF instead and he's been one of the best defensive LFs in the game for about a decade.

If we wanted to go get a good defensive LF with a good arm who is right handed with power, why not just go after Ozuna who is a free agent without giving up assets? 

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I said Marte has never played RF in his career, he hasn't. (Heyward has never played LF in his career FYI) The Royals once upon a time tried Alex Gordon in RF because of his athleticism.. he wasn't that good out there so they left him in LF instead and he's been one of the best defensive LFs in the game for about a decade.

If we wanted to go get a good defensive LF with a good arm who is right handed with power, why not just go after Ozuna who is a free agent without giving up assets? 

Ozuna isn't a good defender lol not even close. He literally looks worse than Eloy.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Haha 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.