Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Betts is a great player but sadly for Boston...one year rentals just don't have much value relative to the player being traded.  I hope we remember this when Moncada, Robert and Anderson are two years out.  We need to extend them or trade them while they still hold top value.

They throw in the towel on Giolito and Moncada after 2021 and the rebuild’s likely a bust.  The White Sox need both those players the most in 2022-23.  There’s no way of getting around that or backing out now.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

They throw in the towel on Giolito and Moncada after 2021 and the rebuild’s likely a bust.  The White Sox need both those players the most in 2022-23.  There’s no way of getting around that or backing out now.

I'm arguing that extensions are absolutely necessary.  If you can't get them done...trades at the two year mark are absolute necessary.  What Baltimore did with Manny Machado was GM malpractice.

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If we acquire two SPs in FA and feel confident we can resign Betts, I have no problem with it. But again, we'd need to sign two pitchers. 

"confident we can resign Betts"  ...where is this confidence going to came from?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If we acquire two SPs in FA and feel confident we can resign Betts, I have no problem with it. But again, we'd need to sign two pitchers. 

And then next year you have to find another RF'er. 

At some point, budgets matter. To get two starters you can rely on enough to move on from two pieces that were a part of the future, you'll have to pay decent money.

Then next year, Betts leaves and you have to find another RF'er. 

The Sox are not in a position to trade for a 1 year rental; next year is not a do or die year by any means.;

A 1 year rental has way more value to a team in which Betts could push them over the top.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

They should easily land a top 100 prospect and a couple other good prospects at least for him despite the one year.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if what the Rays just acquired for Pham is better than whatever the Red Sox get for Betts.  The additional year of control really is worth that much.

13 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if what the Rays just acquired for Pham is better than whatever the Red Sox get for Betts.  The additional year of control really is worth that much.

Me either.

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And then next year you have to find another RF'er. 

At some point, budgets matter. To get two starters you can rely on enough to move on from two pieces that were a part of the future, you'll have to pay decent money.

Then next year, Betts leaves and you have to find another RF'er. 

The Sox are not in a position to trade for a 1 year rental; next year is not a do or die year by any means.;

A 1 year rental has way more value to a team in which Betts could push them over the top.

Let's be real. Lopez is solid but he is to inconsistent. He is probably heading to the bullpen as soon as a better option is brought in. Dunning would suck to lose, but again, if they are confident they can afford and re-sign Betts, I have no problem with it. If they are simply hoping he'd stay with no intel into him wanting to stay, I'd be leery of the trade. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Sox would have to add more, but this is where you really, really hope the Pirates evaluate Collins as a full-time catcher.

Here's MLB's list of top catcher prospects:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019/?list=c

None of those teams jump out at me as being likely interested in trading their catcher prospect for 2 years of Marte, either because they're rebuilding, small market, or are set in the outfield.

If the Sox are interested, Collins may very well be the best catcher the Pirates are offered, assuming they feel comfortable using him at catcher.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

That deep confidence that it's the right thing to do...

Speaking with him prior to the trade to see where he stands and what he thinks of our organization. Speaking with agents and league personnel to see if he has made it known he prefers to play somewhere, like what happened with Cole and his teammates. It's not an exact science, but front offices get a world of info about players. Maybe not us though, because we had no idea Wheeler wanted to stay East. 

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Here's MLB's list of top catcher prospects:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019/?list=c

None of those teams jump out at me as being likely interested in trading their catcher prospect for 2 years of Marte, either because they're rebuilding, small market, or are set in the outfield.

If the Sox are interested, Collins may very well be the best catcher the Pirates are offered, assuming they feel comfortable using him at catcher.

I think there is a small grain of truth in that, but I don't buy that Cherington is a guy that would be so ridgid about the return he'd take a lesser guy at his preferred position.

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Speaking with him prior to the trade to see where he stands and what he thinks of our organization. Speaking with agents and league personnel to see if he has made it known he prefers to play somewhere, like what happened with Cole and his teammates. It's not an exact science, but front offices get a world of info about players. Maybe not us though, because we had no idea Wheeler wanted to stay East. 

That's fair. I do think the difference is Wheeler would have signed an extension with Mets.

With Mookie, I get the feeling he wants to get a claim that he's the best paid player in game. Which is why I stand that they should expect to give an offer of $36 million a year (highest paid per year), and a gross amount that pits him above Harper but below Trout.

19 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Let's be real. Lopez is solid but he is to inconsistent. He is probably heading to the bullpen as soon as a better option is brought in. Dunning would suck to lose, but again, if they are confident they can afford and re-sign Betts, I have no problem with it. If they are simply hoping he'd stay with no intel into him wanting to stay, I'd be leery of the trade. 

I mean, Lopez isn't even 26 years old yet. Seems odd to give up on any arm with his talent and stuff; in the past three years, he's taken his k-rate from 5.66 to 7.28 to 8.07. Everything else has not improved in sync, but the talent is there. I wouldn't give up on Lopez at this point

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.