Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

C : Grandal
1B: Abreu
2B: Madrigal
3B: Moncada
SS: Anderson
LF: Eloy
CF: Robert
RF: Betts
DH: McCann/Collins (or hopefully Encarnacion or Thames or someone along those lines)

I wouldn't be cheering the loss of Reynaldo Lopez, but damn. That lineup seems like fun. I mean Ivan Nova would surely be happy to come back and he could cover 85% of what  Lopez would give you.

1. Betts

2. Moncada

3. Abreu

4. Grandal

5. Jimenez

Hot damn.  How many games were the Twins projected to win last season?

3 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

C : Grandal
1B: Abreu
2B: Madrigal
3B: Moncada
SS: Anderson
LF: Eloy
CF: Robert
RF: Betts
DH: McCann/Collins (or hopefully Encarnacion or Thames or someone along those lines)

I wouldn't be cheering the loss of Reynaldo Lopez, but damn. That lineup seems like fun. I mean Ivan Nova would surely be happy to come back and he could cover 85% of what  Lopez would give you.

At about 5-8 times the cost.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't understnad what "all-in" means or why I should care.

I think a team with mookie betts next year is more competitive than one cobbled with this free-agent class.

If that requires them saying "we are all-in" to suit you then I am for it.

So you are trading pieces of the future to be more competitive next year? 

That is exactly what the White Sox used to do, and it's exactly what got them in this predicament in the first place... and it's the exact thing you've been incredible critical of (as have most all fans).

Minds aren't changing; pointless to continue going back and forth. Have a nice weekend.

6 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Agreed. I think he will mash too. I just hope Robert can cover the entire outfield in this scenario.

Man, if the Sox sign Castellanos, I hope the first year goes well and it comes without a NTC. Just seems like a guy we'll be wanting to improve on within 18 months.  Committing to 67% of your OF defense being well below average for the next 4 seasons usually doesn't turn out well.  

I'd way rather find our long term RF in next year's FA class.  Maybe Adolfo will explode in the meantime and we won't even need to.  Castellanos definitely makes 2020 a better team, but I just hate the fit with the Abreu extension. 

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't understnad what "all-in" means or why I should care.

I think a team with mookie betts next year is more competitive than one cobbled with this free-agent class.

If that requires them saying "we are all-in" to suit you then I am for it.

How much consideration goes into the likelihood of at least having a better shot of having Betts on the team beyond 2020 when looking at a trade?  Would the White Sox have a better shot at signing Betts if he plays here in 2020?  Would the Sox even consider paying him what he's going to get paid ($30M+ a year)?  If not, does it make sense to trade for him for one year?

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Man, if the Sox sign Castellanos, I hope the first year goes well and it comes without a NTC. Just seems like a guy we'll be wanting to improve on within 18 months.  Committing to 67% of your OF defense being well below average for the next 4 seasons usually doesn't turn out well.  

I'd way rather find our long term RF in next year's FA class.  Maybe Adolfo will explode in the meantime and we won't even need to.  Castellanos definitely makes 2020 a better team, but I just hate the fit with the Abreu extension. 

I mean, honestly as this point I could see Vaughn being used a trade chip for a starter, which theoretically would open 1B / DH for Castellanos post 2020 if he doesn’t show enough with the glove next year.

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

How much consideration goes into the likelihood of at least having a better shot of having Betts on the team beyond 2020 when looking at a trade?  Would the White Sox have a better shot at signing Betts if he plays here in 2020?  Would the Sox even consider paying him what he's going to get paid ($30M+ a year)?  If not, does it make sense to trade for him for one year?

Apparently more than should be given , no and probably not.

If the Sox were to acquire Betts, the entire story of next offseason will be of the Sox attempt (and likely failure) to sign him long term.  No thanks.

It seems almost inevitable that the Pirates are going to trade Marte and the Mets trade one of their surplus left-handed outfielders.  IMO those are the best options -- multiple years of control and good balance of offensive and defensive ability.  Also, a much better chance of extending them than Betts if the Sox wish to do so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Cool; this isn't basketball.

Mike Trout has made one post-season appearance in his career. 

Right, but when complaining about someone like Ivan Nova filling Reynaldo Lopez spot in the rotation try to remember that Mookie Betts would be manning RF instead of a wet sack of nerf balls.

• Like 1

Just now, centerfieldsixers said:

cant seem to find that quote

Its out there.  He said it in the long podcast/ Q&A thing he did with Garfein a couple months ago.  Also has said it a few times in interviews since then.  I am not just making it up, but I am also not going to go dig out the quote for you.

@Chicago White Sox back me up here.  

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its out there.  He said it in the long podcast/ Q&A thing he did with Garfein a couple months ago.  Also has said it a few times in interviews since then.  I am not just making it up, but I am also not going to go dig out the quote for you.

He very heavily implied it at the live one they did at Reggies. I was fighting you on this one until I heard that.

Edited by mqr
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

How will the White Sox ever win the coveted dollars per WAR title then?

I'm convinced that is the goal of MLB front offices right now. Fuck the WS, I want the $/WAR title. They're more interested in winning that title than the actual title. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

you mean you won't dig for me.  Thats the first I heard. Sometimes Chisox59 people just throw stuff out there. If hes on pace then i dont understand why he would be in AAA.

then again Rick is the g.m. and i am just a boob on the computer

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.