Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

Just now, centerfieldsixers said:

you mean you won't dig for me.  Thats the first I heard. Sometimes Chisox59 people just throw stuff out there. If hes on pace then i dont understand why he would be in AAA.

then again Rick is the g.m. and i am just a boob on the computer

Hahn has said it multiple times - that's all I can tell you.  

The reasons would be that he is going to be on an innings limit in 2020 and starting him in AAA with kid gloves would mean that he wouldn't have to be shut down in August. And two - if he spends a couple months in AAA, Sox get a year of control back. 

Basically, if he breaks camp with the Sox, he gets shut down in August and you lose a year of control.  If you start him in AAA, you lose maybe 25-30 innings in 2020 when he's pitching in the minors, but you get the year of control back, AND he doesn't need to get shut down in August when potentially the Sox are battling for a WC spot.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hahn has said it multiple times - that's all I can tell you.  

The reasons would be that he is going to be on an innings limit in 2020 and starting him in AAA with kid gloves would mean that he wouldn't have to be shut down in August. And two - if he spends a couple months in AAA, Sox get a year of control back. 

Basically, if he breaks camp with the Sox, he gets shut down in August and you lose a year of control.  If you start him in AAA, you lose maybe 25-30 innings in 2020 when he's pitching in the minors, but you get the year of control back, AND he doesn't need to get shut down in August when potentially the Sox are battling for a WC spot.

I understand all that. thanks. My point if hes ready come April and he stated there are no restrictions in spring training, why have him start the season then in AAA?

if he is going to pitch innings it should be at major league level not minor league level. dont waste his starts in AAA.  if we shut him down then so be it.

i hate the year of control stuff.  its annoying

7 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

you mean you won't dig for me.  Thats the first I heard. Sometimes Chisox59 people just throw stuff out there. If hes on pace then i dont understand why he would be in AAA.

then again Rick is the g.m. and i am just a boob on the computer

There is a more detailed post on the topic I did a few months back.  

17 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

cant seem to find that quote

"Expect, at some point next year, Michael Kopech and Carlos Rodon to join us.”

“I just don’t know when he’s going to be on the major league active roster. His rehab has gone wonderfully. He’s perfectly on pace. He’s going to be in spring training without restriction, and he’s going to be over 18 months removed from throwing a pitch in anger to a hitter. So, let’s let the kid develop, and when he’s ready, he’s going to be back.”

Basically because of TJ the Sox have to limit his innings and much of that will occur in the minors via short starts maybe skipping his turn once in a while or relief innings but most likely just not overtaxing his arm expecting him to to 7+ innings right away, but building up to a point where if pitching well can be brought up.

Everything in quotes is from Hahn , The last paragraph is me .

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/what-we-learned-rick-hahns-appearance-white-sox-talk-podcast

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Just now, Soxnfins said:

Marte I really do like.....

me too., i always felt like this is what was going to happen and the pirates would throw in archer to take his salary, which no one wants.

pittsburgh is looking for a top catching prospect and since Ron Karkovice is not available it could be Zach Collins

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

“I just don’t know when he’s going to be on the major league active roster. His rehab has gone wonderfully. He’s perfectly on pace. He’s going to be in spring training without restriction, and he’s going to be over 18 months removed from throwing a pitch in anger to a hitter. So, let’s let the kid develop, and when he’s ready, he’s going to be back.”

Basically because of TJ the Sox have to limit his innings and much of that will occur in the minors via short starts maybe skipping his turn once ina while or lief innings but mosy likely just not overtaxing his arm expecting him to to 7+ innings right away, but building up to a point where if pitching well can be brought up.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/what-we-learned-rick-hahns-appearance-white-sox-talk-podcast

Thank you, Sir.  

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Basically because of TJ the Sox have to limit his innings and much of that will occur in the minors via short starts maybe skipping his turn once ina while or lief innings but mosy likely just not overtaxing his arm expecting him to to 7+ innings right away, but building up to a point where if pitching well can be brought up.

thanks Cali

1 minute ago, centerfieldsixers said:

me too., i always felt like this is what was going to happen and the pirates would throw in archer to take his salary, which no one wants.

pittsburgh is looking for a top catching prospect and since Ron Karkovice is not available it could be Zach Collins

I'll take Archer with as well, that doesn't bother me.  He's a better #4 option than most out there IMO.  At least he has potential rebound value. and only costs $20MM the next 2 seasons.

8 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Not trying to be rude, but who cares? He produces and plays solid defense (this year being an anomaly) 

30 2B's per season, 20 HR's per season which may decline this year. 100 k's to 25 walks per season. 12 mil. 31 years old. I give him the defense. Still doesnt produce enough at the plate for me.

(he puts up the same production every season including the minors, so dont expect him to get better)

Note: White Sox dead last last year in walks, 30th in league with 378 BB. Houston led the league with 645.

Edited by Chisox378

12 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Marte gets paid 12 million to walk 25 times per season... There must be better options....

Yeah, that is ridiculous.  Or maybe it is because he has other skills that make him a good baseball player.  Judging the quality of a player by one statistical category is crazy.  Just like judging a player only by his weaknesses.  

5 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

30 2B's per season, 20 HR's per season which may decline this year. 100 k's to 25 walks per season. 12 mil. 31 years old. I give him the defense. Still doesnt produce enough at the plate for me.

(he puts up the same production every season including the minors, so dont expect him to get better)

Except he still slashed 295/342/503/845, 2.9 WAR... 23 HR his career high, and he still went 23/82 on the power numbers.... predominantly as a leadoff/2 guy for almost 35% of last year....

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah, that is ridiculous.  Or maybe it is because he has other skills that make him a good baseball player.  Judging the quality of a player by one statistical category is crazy.  Just like judging a player only by his weaknesses.  

Not when we were ded last in walks last season. All of our hitters are 4-6 times k to walks. I think that will change next season but Marte wont help that.

Trade outfielder Starling Marté to the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for third baseman Jonathan India, outfielder Jesse Winker and right-handed pitcher Tyler Mahle.

Bowden has Cincy blowing away the Collins+ offer...but Puig signing elsewhere for 4/$48, too.   Both seem to be overpays, both trade proposal and FA market prices.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Trade outfielder Starling Marté to the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for third baseman Jonathan India, outfielder Jesse Winker and right-handed pitcher Tyler Mahle.

Bowden has Cincy blowing away the Collins offer...but Puig signing elsewhere for 4/$48, too.   Both seem to be overpays, both trade proposal and FA market prices.

That's a big time offer for Marte.  

1 minute ago, Chisox378 said:

Not when we were ded last in walks last season. All of our hitters are 4-6 times k to walks. I think that will change next season but Marte wont help that.

Ok, well, the easy question is who is a better solution?  Who is this great, very complete player that the Sox could acquire?

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Well, they could pay Castellanos or Ozuna more money per year to walk 40 times (but still post a lower OBP and provide worse defense).

Castellanos also had 58 doubles. Im just so so with Castellanos, better than Marte though.

Edited by Chisox378

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.