Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

13 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I just can't get excited about Ozuna. I mean am I wrong? Can someone talk me into this?

I tried to watch him as much as I could this past postseason.  Really liked his bat, but his D left a lot to be desired.  And he was in LF.  Really don't think he's a real solution for RF defensively.

In my ideal world (and maybe everyone's ideal world idk), sign a 1 year rental outfielder this year to cover RF and then make Mookie Bettes your ultimate target prize next season and sign him for however much he wants. Make him the golden free agent signing of this entire rebuild.

Of course that hinges on whether or not he stays with Boston. But that's what I prefer they do.

Honestly, the Sox should have a good enough offense to contend next offseason when Robert and Madrigal come up. I would focus more on defense for our pitchers with the outfield than offense. Obviously you want a player that brings more offense than Engel to the table, but someone who can hold their own in the field should be top priority, IMO. Calhoun? Sure, 1 year deal.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

For me Castellanos >>>>>> Ozuna, but neither are ideal.  I would be okay with Calhoun on a 1 year deal, mostly cuz he hits left handed and wouldn’t kill our young pitchers with poor defense.  But I agree, there’s a definite Jon Jay II risk there.

I agree. I like Castellanos best skill more than Ozunas, but I just don’t like him as a long term solution.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I'm starting to believe that if Avi didn't have a history with us...we would all be calling for him as a cost effective alternative.  I am also wondering if Brett Gardner might end up as available.  He would be a great one year solution.

Sounds like Gardner is all but certain to end up back in NY. They need insurance as Hicks is still recovering.

52 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I tried to watch him as much as I could this past postseason.  Really liked his bat, but his D left a lot to be desired.  And he was in LF.  Really don't think he's a real solution for RF defensively.

Yeah he looked really really slow in the OF. Looked like he could have gotten to balls that dropped right in front of him.

Granted, it seems like some good teams do punt defense a bit for a better offense (Avi in CF for Rays in playoffs, Mark Canha also in CF for A's).

Edited by soxfan2014

1 hour ago, sullythered said:

To me, Kole Calhoun just SCREAMS "White Sox free agent bust".  I admittedly have no statistics to back me up, I'm only talking about the general sense I get about him, and that sense is Nick Swisher/Adam LaRoche.

At least if Calhoun is a bust, he provides plus defense, costs like $6-8M, and is a free agent again in 10 months.

If Castellanos or Ozuna are busts, they quickly become bad contracts, clog up our OF defense long term, and the Sox have minimal ability to play them at DH long term with Abreu and Vaughn. 

I would prefer Calhoun at 1/$8M to either of those guys on 4/$65M+ deals, which both are very likely to beat.

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.