Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

30 minutes ago, username said:

Two things:

1) Not sure why we keep talking about Ozuna being a bad fielder.  He’s actually pretty good out there and can also play CF. 

2) In 2017 and 2019 he had reverse splits.  Actually hit much better against righties.  So the balance piece is achieved. 

Great points. 

I don’t mind Ozuna...but will depend on the $ and years obviously. Anything under 3/60 is perfectly fine with me. 4 years I wouldn’t be a fan of. And anything over 18 per year would be kind of crazy. 

But as far as Ozuna as a fit...he’s a legit above average MLB hitter. We should be thankful if we get another 1 of those in the lineup. Playing RF isn’t ideal, but I don’t think he’ll hurt the team there either. Probably a 0-+5 DRS kind of guy. 

I can see why someone wouldn’t be excited about Ozuna, but your expectations are probably set way too high if you’re flat out upset by an Ozuna signing. 

Edited by TheFutureIsNear
  • Like 1

So I am completely ignorant on this issue, but Ozuna appears to be near the top of LF DRS for a few seasons according to RotoWire. Admittedly that’s not RF, but why is everyone so sure he’ll be a disaster in RF?

Edited by ScottyDo

16 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Nobody in their right mind within the white sox organization is going to confirm to Bruce after what happened last year and with Wheeler. I'm not saying this is going to happen or not happen but let's be realistic......

This, especially after the Machado fiasco and the most recent whiff on Wheeler.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

17 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Ozuna is an ok signing.

What I would do:

Trade Reynaldo Lopez, Collins, and Basabi for Benintendi.

Sign Rendon.

Sign Keuchel.

That might happen on the show 19 with trade override....

9 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I don’t mind Ozuna...but will depend on the $ and years obviously. Anything under 3/60 is perfectly fine with me. 4 years I wouldn’t be a fan of. And anything over 18 per year would be kind of crazy. 

But as far as Ozuna as a fit...he’s a legit above average MLB hitter. We should be thankful if we get another 1 of those in the lineup. Playing RF isn’t ideal, but I don’t think he’ll hurt the team there either. Probably a 0-+5 DRS kind of guy. 

I can see why someone wouldn’t be excited about Ozuna, but your expectations are probably set way too high if you’re flat out upset by an Ozuna signing. 

3/60M is perfectly fine but anything over $18M is crazy? I don’t follow. 

• Like 1

Just want to say this:

Either Ozuna is a solid defender, or no one should be referencing advanced defensive stats again. Because you can’t support things like DRS and UZR and then also call Ozuna a bad defender. 

I’m not going to pretend to have watched Ozuna enough to have a valid opinion on his D either way, but there seems to be some hypocrisy going on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Nobody in their right mind within the white sox organization is going to confirm to Bruce after what happened last year and with Wheeler. I'm not saying this is going to happen or not happen but let's be realistic......

Guys this is a very specific report indicating he is leaving to the us to sign a contract. It’s either true or false.