Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Greek-konerko said:

Ozuna hit 241 last year at stlouis with over 110 ks.i know 29 hrs but we need a lefty bat and hes right.idk why they do that if it's TRUE.makes no sense

If we are clever and wise we could find an Ozuna in our minor league systems.

• Haha 1

Someone explain why fans are not excited about this. If defense is an issue then why do so many want Castellanos? I looked up Ozunas numbers and he looks better than almost all the other names people have been suggesting. Nick Castellanos career WAR according to BaseballReference is 7.1. Ozuna hit 37 homers and an OPS above .900 just a few years ago. He is only 28.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

3/60M is perfectly fine but anything over $18M is crazy? I don’t follow. 

The post said anything Under 60...so yeah I still probably left a vague 6/7 mil gap, didn’t put that much thought into it obviously. 

3/51 as the max I’m perfectly fine with is a more coherent way to put it. 

1 minute ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Someone explain why fans are not excited about this. If defense is an issue then why do so many want Castellanos? I looked up Ozunas numbers and he looks better than almost all the other names people have been suggesting. Nick Castellanos career WAR according to BaseballReference is 7.1. Ozuna hit 37 homers and an OPS above .900 just a few years ago. He is only 28.

If we're picking between Ozuna and Castellanos and are going to have poor D in RF, I prefer Castellanos.

5 minutes ago, Greek-konerko said:

Ozuna hit 241 last year at stlouis with over 110 ks.i know 29 hrs but we need a lefty bat and hes right.idk why they do that if it's TRUE.makes no sense

110K's isn't that much in todays game. Moncada had over 150K's last year and he was great.

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

If we're picking between Ozuna and Castellanos and are going to have poor D in RF, I prefer Castellanos.

Castellanos career offensive numbers are barely better but Ozunas defensive numbers are much better than Castellanos.

2 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Castellanos a better hitter than Ozuna but not by much. Ozuna a better fielder but not by much. In this case we have to go with the better clubhouse presence, the player that can add chemistry and love to this team.

BaseballReference has Ozuna's career defensive WAR at 1.1, Castellanos is at -10.2.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The post said anything Under 60...so yeah I still probably left a vague 6/7 mil gap, didn’t put that much thought into it obviously. 

3/51 as the max I’m perfectly fine with is a more coherent way to put it. 

Yah, I don’t want Ozuna. I could live with 3/50 or under tho. 

6 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Castellanos a better hitter than Ozuna but not by much. Ozuna a better fielder but not by much. In this case we have to go with the better clubhouse presence, the player that can add chemistry and love to this team.

Castellanos is a better hitter than Ozuna... also essentially opposites, Ozuna hits righties well, Castellanos hits lefties better than righties. 

Not sure why so many people have a negative reaction to a possible Ozuna signing. I would be excited to add another professional bat with 25+ homers to the lineup and this would be a huge upgrade over last year. He’s still pretty young, and I like the potential with the hitting coach reunion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He is brutal now. One thing though is the Sox hitting coach was his hitting coach his breakout season.

What are you basing brutal off of? Because the #’s don’t back you up. Now I’m honestly not the biggest fan of defensive stats so I’m open to evidence. Did you watch him play extensively? I just feel like he had a very public blunder in the playoffs and now has a bad reputation. 

OR defensive stats aren’t reliable and shouldn’t be used in further discussions. I truly don’t care either way, but there needs to be a line drawn to have an honest discussion. 

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

What are you basing brutal off of? Because the #’s don’t back you up. Now I’m honestly not the biggest fan of defensive stats so I’m open to evidence. Did you watch him play extensively? I just feel like he had a very public blunder in the playoffs and now has a bad reputation. 

OR defensive stats aren’t reliable and shouldn’t be used in further discussions. I truly don’t care either way, but there needs to be a line drawn to have an honest discussion. 

MlB Network showed him make about 10 plays like that and he can't throw at all.