Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

So guys who understand this better, what does it mean when Ozuna has one of the top hard hit% on fangraphs and one of of the top exit velocities in stat cast?  

Does that mean when he makes contact,  the contact is hard at an above average rate, and then when this hard contact is made, it’s hit harder than most people hit it?

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

MlB Network showed him make about 10 plays like that and he can't throw at all.

Ahh so because that 1 time you saw a compilation of his “about” 10-12 worst plays over the whole year (I’ll take the under on your about considering he made 4 errors) I’m supposed to throw out the collection of stats that is widely accepted for every other player?  Except the players you have a negative bias against apparently 

Sorry, I’ll take a hard pass on what you’re selling as brutal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

He is quite perfectly my least favorite FA signing they could have made. Perhaps the most white Sox use of resources I could imagine.

A caliber of player available every offseason, with a QO attached, that they are signing as a long term player. 

It’s a 2015 special.

Who would you prefer? This is a huge upgrade for the team. Most of you are underrating him. He puts up solid numbers every year and had an amazing offensive season just 2 years ago, he is only 28 and can do it again. I still don't understand why so many are against this. Most of the other names available aren't significantly better than him, in fact most aren't even better in general.

• Like 1

Just now, Jerksticks said:

So guys who understand this better, what does it mean when Ozuna has one of the top hard hit% on fangraphs and one of of the top exit velocities in stat cast?  

Does that mean when he makes contact,  the contact is hard at an above average rate, and then when this hard contact is made, it’s hit harder than most people hit it?

He makes hard contact and he makes hard contact a lot.  The problem is that his launch angle was low last year which is why he probably hit .240. His expected BA was .280. He was a slightly above average hitter last year but if he had some luck he could have been 20% above league average.

Abreu has a similar profile as a hitter in that he hits the ball hard but a lot of those are on the ground. 

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

The first stat (Hard hit %age) is the first thing you said (hard at an above average rate) and the second thing you said (top exit velocities) means that on average overall his contact is particularly hard.

9 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Ahh so because that 1 time you saw a compilation of his “about” 10-12 worst plays over the whole year (I’ll take the under on your about considering he made 4 errors) I’m supposed to throw out the collection of stats that is widely accepted for every other player?  Except the players you have a negative bias against apparently 

Sorry, I’ll take a hard pass on what you’re selling as brutal. 

He played at least 2 singles into triples, no error on those either. I listened to ODowd, former MLB GM and Smoltz, both said he was bad defensively and cannot throw, on his way to being a DH. 10 awful plays in LF for one MLB in a season is brutal. Now you are going to put him in RF? Go look at some of the advanced stat numbers Alfonso Soriano had when he first moved to the OF. And he was horrid.

i am not selling anything. I really don’t care one way or another on Marcel. At least he will be able to hit. But ideally with Eloy in LF, you are putting a lot on a rookie in CF if the RF is well below average as well.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Robert

Moncada

Abreu

Grandal

Eloy

Ozuna

Anderson

McCann / Collins

Mendick/Madrigal (July)

Potentially replaced Yolmer, Alonso, McCann, Leury, and the three-headed hydra of right field doom with:

Madrigal, McCann/Collins, Grandal, Robert, and Ozuna(?)

I gotta admit that’s hella upgrade.  Is it enough and what about the rotation?

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Not saying there’s truth to the rumor, but Bruce Levine saying it’s not true doesn’t mean shit after his ridiculousness last off season.

I still think he was 100% right on with a direct pipeline to the org when he ran with "White Sox offer Machado $175 million."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Who is facebook?

Sorry Drake I cannot disclose my sources. I can confirm that the Sox pages on Facebook are not worth facing. I still would like McKenzie Dickerson in the mix. 

If we sign Ozuna bye-bye to our second round pick , the 49th pick over-all.   No I don't want this dude on a long term deal. He looks like he already took on some weight and he is only going to box out further like most people do with age. I don't like his demeanor and the way he wears his hat crooked. Goddamnit. Tell me this rumor is bulshit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tray said:

If we sign Ozuna bye-bye to our second round pick , the 49th pick over-all.   No I don't want this dude on a long term deal. He looks like he already took on some weight and he is only going to box out further like most people do with age. I don't like his demeanor and the way he wears his hat crooked. Goddamnit. Tell me this rumor is bulshit.

Because of his demeanor and his hat crooked? Are there advanced metrics for that? 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, tray said:

That's quite a post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1