Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He played at least 2 singles into triples, no error on those either. I listened to ODowd, former MLB GM and Smoltz, both said he was bad defensively and cannot throw, on his way to being a DH. 10 awful plays in LF for one MLB in a season is brutal. Now you are going to put him in RF? Go look at some of the advanced stat numbers Alfonso Soriano had when he first moved to the OF. And he was horrid.

i am not selling anything. I really don’t care one way or another on Marcel. At least he will be able to hit. But ideally with Eloy in LF, you are putting a lot on a rookie in CF if the RF is well below average as well.

But you are selling something...that Ozuna is “well below average” on defense when the data doesn’t support that at all. And your reasoning is hearsay and cherry picked highlights to make Ozuna look bad. I’m sure you are smart enough to realize that it wouldn’t be difficult to also cherry pick Ozuna’s 10 best plays that make him look like a great defender. And again, id bet you didn’t actually see 10 plays. You probably saw 5 and it’s now “about 10” to make your argument sound better.

Absolutely no idea what you’re trying to get at with the Soriano reference. Ozuna has played OF his entire career and has positive stats the entire time.

If you would have responded with your reasoning being “I watched 50 cardinals games last year” I’d be all ears to your opinions. But I’ll gladly believe what the  stats tell me. 

Edited by TheFutureIsNear
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

But you are selling something...that Ozuna is “well below average” on defense when the data doesn’t support that at all. And your reasoning is hearsay and cherry picked highlights to make Ozuna look bad. I’m sure you are smart enough to realize that it wouldn’t be difficult to also cherry pick Ozuna’s 10 best plays that make him look like a great defender. And again, id bet you didn’t actually see 10 plays. You probably saw 5 and it’s now “about 10” to make your argument sound better.

Absolutely no idea what you’re trying to get at with the Soriano reference. Ozuna has played OF his entire career and has positive stats the entire time.

If you would have responded with your reasoning being “I watched 50 cardinals games last year” I’d be all ears to your opinions. But I’ll gladly believe what the  stats tell me. 

You want to fight Ozunas defense go ahead. But you might want to take a look at the stats the last few years. The data does support he is below average and guys his age normallyonly get worse. 

I find it odd you take it so personally. You may want to block Mlb trade rumors from your computer. Here is what they say Ozuna has provided little value as an outfielder since departing Miami. He grades as below-average in Statcast’s outs above average and outfielder jump metrics—ranking in the 13th and 29th percentile, respectively

Edited by Dick Allen

31 minutes ago, tray said:

If we sign Ozuna bye-bye to our second round pick , the 49th pick over-all.   No I don't want this dude on a long term deal. He looks like he already took on some weight and he is only going to box out further like most people do with age. I don't like his demeanor and the way he wears his hat crooked. Goddamnit. Tell me this rumor is bulshit.

Okay boomer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

He is quite perfectly my least favorite FA signing they could have made. Perhaps the most white Sox use of resources I could imagine.

A caliber of player available every offseason, with a QO attached, that they are signing as a long term player. 

It’s a 2015 special.

You don’t even know the terms yet?  I think most people here sleep on how good Ozuna’s batted ball profile is, which is legit elite.  Look at his Statcast numbers from last year.  Holy fuck!?!  Just sucks his defense is questionable and arm may never return to form.

05056BA8-DABA-4A4E-9430-B4DB28D82734.jpeg

47 minutes ago, tray said:

If we sign Ozuna bye-bye to our second round pick , the 49th pick over-all.   No I don't want this dude on a long term deal. He looks like he already took on some weight and he is only going to box out further like most people do with age. I don't like his demeanor and the way he wears his hat crooked. Goddamnit. Tell me this rumor is bulshit.

I honestly hope we sign him just so you have to cheer him on while he’s wearing that crooked hat.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Depends on the price, but I do love the potential of his bat, especially with Menchiano as our hitting coach.

He and Abreu are pretty similar. Obviously different positions, Ozuna runs a bit better, Abreu hits a few more homers,  but questionable defense, the offense is pretty similar overall, and  their hard hit rates are very high. So the bat is a huge upgrade, the defense not, but the RF defense has been pretty bad for a long time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He and Abreu are pretty similar. Obviously different positions, Ozuna runs a bit better, Abreu hits a few more homers,  but questionable defense, the offense is pretty similar overall, and  their hard hit rates are very high. So the bat is a huge upgrade, the defense not, but the RF defense has been pretty bad for a long time.

The one big difference is Ozuna walks at a decent clip, but agree on the rest.  This just all depends on price for me.

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

God I hope we don't end up with Ozuna.  Getting Ozuna and missing out on Wheeler would just kill this off season.

Ozuna would help this team alot. Let's not a t like he is Palka. He will be overpaid but that is baseball these days. I wouldn't love the signing, but we should give it a chance if Joc is not an option. 

28 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You want to fight Ozunas defense go ahead. But you might want to take a look at the stats the last few years. The data does support he is below average and guys his age normallyonly get worse. 

I find it odd you take it so personally. You may want to block Mlb trade rumors from your computer. Here is what they say Ozuna has provided little value as an outfielder since departing Miami. He grades as below-average in Statcast’s outs above average and outfielder jump metrics—ranking in the 13th and 29th percentile, respectively

Lol there’s nothing personal. I’m watching college football, drinking a beer, and discussing baseball. What could be better? We’re just having a discussion as far as I’m concerned. I’m from the north east, and NJ more specifically, that makes me argumentative by nature I guess.

And if you would have lead with some stats or more substance from the beginning we probably wouldn’t have gotten this far. You have to admit your “I saw a highlight” argument was a little lame.  I havent seen the stats you posted, thanks. I’ll now have to look into the advanced advanced defensive stats for Ozuna. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The one big difference is Ozuna walks at a decent clip, but agree on the rest.  This just all depends on price for me.

Agreed. I'm ok with him assuming we get him on a cheaper deal. There's no reason to go after him instead of Castellanos unless we get a nice discount. I really hope it's not anything over $60 million over 4 years.

• Like 1

I just don't think that Ozuna is the type of free agent signing I expected when they said the $ would be spent.  If it is a long term deal, I do not like it.  If it is a 2 year deal, fine but I doubt they would give up a draft pick for a short term signing.