Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hmm guess I don't understand all the commotion.Castillo didn't say the Sox will sign Ozuna Monday . All he said was wait til Monday . Wait for what ? Some kind of news Ozuna is signing with the Sox ? With someone else ? For more news on who Ozuna is close to signing with ? For the Winter Meetings to start ?

Check out Frank Castillo’s tweet at the link below and how it translates...

https://mobile.twitter.com/FrankCastillo22/status/1203348982551973889

94892129-94-AD-410-E-9-C84-66-ACB11-F1-F

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Yeah and I don't take the denial to Bruce as much of anything. After thinking they had Machado and/or Wheeler in the bag, I wouldn't blame the Sox for being tight-lipped until it's signed, sealed and delivered. And if this is true, as someone else said - it will be funny seeing how stupid Bruce looks once again.

But in neither of those cases did the player ever indicate they had accepted their offer.

This is indicating he would have verbally told them he’s signing. I mean phones exist, it seems unlikely this would require a delay.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

But in neither of those cases did the player ever indicate they had accepted their offer.

This is indicating he would have verbally told them he’s signing. I mean phones exist, it seems unlikely this would require a delay.

Has to pass a physical also

According to Frank Castillo’s tweet, it sounds like Ozuna is actually signing tomorrow (Sunday) but the signing will be officially announced on Monday.

Seems almost too specific to be a lie but there has been enough ridiculous hot stove tweets the past couple years to doubt anyone and everyone.  At least we don’t have to wait very long to find out if it is true or BS.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Do you think we heard Wheeler was choosing the Phillies only after he did a physical and physically signed?

I think Wheeler’s agent came back to the Sox with a contract number that would sway them from signing with the Phillies, but the Sox chose to pass on it because it was above their comfort zone for Wheeler.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Potential lineup with Ozuna looks amazing:

Robert-CF

Yoan-3B

Abreu- 1B 

Grandal- C

Eloy- LF/RF

Ozuna- RF/LF

Anderson-SS

McCann-DH

Madrigal-2B

WOW, finally respectable players at every spot. When Ozuna is your 6th hitter, you are doing something right. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Robert-CF

Yoan-3B

Abreu- 1B 

Grandal- C

Eloy- LF/RF

Ozuna- RF/LF

Anderson-SS

McCann-DH

Madrigal-2B

WOW, finally respectable players at every spot. When Ozuna is your 6th hitter, you are doing something right. 

Yum.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

If they sign him I really hope its not more than 50/3.  He is streaky and plays out of control at times.  RF was our last position we could have really upgraded and grabbed a LH bat.

It just seems silly to do this before the Winter meetings.

Yes but the LH bats pretty much suck. Joc is interesting, but maybe they’re saving prospects to trade for a pitcher instead.

Edited by fathom

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Robert-CF

Yoan-3B

Abreu- 1B 

Grandal- C

Eloy- LF/RF

Ozuna- RF/LF

Anderson-SS

McCann-DH

Madrigal-2B

Now trade for JDM to DH (or on the low end, Shin-Soo Choo?) or sign Encarnacion. That's some good lineup.

7 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

If they sign him I really hope its not more than 50/3.  He is streaky and plays out of control at times.  RF was our last position we could have really upgraded and grabbed a LH bat.

It just seems silly to do this before the Winter meetings.

Who are the best lefty RF options?  Joc probably?  He would cost talent just for one year of his services.  After Joc, Kole Calhoun?  He is trash.

I hate the idea of adding a left-handed bat just to add a lefty bat to the lineup.  Give me the best hitter, regardless of handedness.  Castellanos is probably the better hitter but a quick check on Castellanos’s and Ozuna’s agents will tell you who the Sox are more likely to sign.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Who are the best lefty RF options?  Joc probably?  He would cost talent just for one year of his services.  After Joc, Kole Calhoun?  He is trash.

I hate the idea of adding a left-handed bat just to add a lefty bat to the lineup.  Give me the best hitter, regardless of handedness.

As someone said before, ozuna hits right handed pitchers well anyway so he does help with that