Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

5/80-90 for him feels like way too much.  He has been pretty stagnant the last 2 years offensively.  I would hate this deal.

He's projected for 3.1 fWAR in 148 games.   He's not a star, but he's basically what Avi was supposed to be and unlike Avi he doesn't get hurt.  I'm a little worried as everyone about the Sox' ability to scout a guy coming from the NL but he's a solid player with a good 3-4 years left of productive years as a starter.  Fills a massive hole on the MLB roster.  I'd welcome it personally.  

The seats at the FA table are starting to get filled, Sox need to keep signing guys before all the better spots are gone.

5 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

5/80-90 for him feels like way too much.  He has been pretty stagnant the last 2 years offensively.  I would hate this deal.

I see something closer to 4/$70M in a worst case scenario and could honestly see something closer to 3/$50M.  FWIW, MLBTR has him getting 3/$45M, which admittedly feels light to me.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Here's what I'll say on Ozuna. None of the Sox writers can confirm and many have denied that it's true already. Marcell Ozuna's family in the DR thinks it's true in addition to reporters there however. 

Where is the family angle coming from?  If his family think he is signing with the White Sox, he is probably signing with the White Sox.  

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

Can we not sign an incredibly bad defensive outfielder please? 

We've been over this.  He's mediocre.  Think recent Avi not Palka.  And if Luis Robert really does cover the 25% of the earth not covered by water his defensive importance will be mitigated.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I see something closer to 4/$70M in a worst case scenario and could honestly see something closer to 3/$50M.  FWIW, MLBTR has him getting 3/$45M, which admittedly feels light to me.

I didn't look at their projections but thats where I have him at, 3/50.  Anything more than that feels like a big overpay for me.

Fangraphs likes him for projections but he's not that exciting based on his last 2 years of production.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If he was only getting 3/$50, what are the odds he'd sign now rather than waiting to see if a better option appeared later in the offseason? There's every reason to think several teams would be interested at that amount and that the offer wouldn't go away.

To get him to sign now, my guess would be his contract is comparable to Grandal's. That's an offer they might not be able to beat by waiting.

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I just cannot see a White Sox source doing that to Bruce. I am not a Bruce guy, but am sure his source is pretty connected to the team, and it’s not like the news wasn’t out yet. To say it is false when it is not would really be a dick move. Bruce is certainly more of a Cubs guy but he does give the Sox a lot more time on his show than most non flagship shows. That would be biting a hand that feeds you.

Doing what? He was told it's not true and he's not wrong. As of today Ozuna hasn't signed with the White Sox.  How Bruce wants to publically characterize his intel is on him and he's paid for it more than once.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

We've been over this.  He's mediocre.  Think recent Avi not Palka.

It's funny DRS is kind to him. Every other defensive static isn't. It's going to be amusing with one butcher of an outfielder in the corner. One who's not good and Luis Robert. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If he was only getting 3/$50, what are the odds he'd sign now rather than waiting to see if a better option appeared later in the offseason? There's every reason to think several teams would be interested at that amount and that the offer wouldn't go away.

To get him to sign now, my guess would be his contract is comparable to Grandal's. That's an offer they might not be able to beat by waiting.

Why?  Grandal is about 33% better than Ozuna and plays a premium position.  There's no comparison between the two one is a solid regular the other is a borderline superstar depending on how you value framing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Where is the family angle coming from?  If his family think he is signing with the White Sox, he is probably signing with the White Sox.  

That’s why I was asking if it was extended family like cousins, cause immediate family should obviously know if he’s signing.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Why?  Grandal is about 33% better than Ozuna and plays a premium position.  There's no comparison between the two one is a solid regular the other is a borderline superstar depending on how you value framing.

Because it has to be a contract that they can't believe they will beat this offseason. Literally everyone here has said "ok, if it's about 3/$45 or 3/$50 this makes sense" and we've been saying that since the start of the offseason. There will probably be 5 other teams saying the same thing. That money would be there if he waited until February. To get him to sign now, you're going to have to go well beyond that, to give him an offer that isn't going to be beaten later.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Because it has to be a contract that they can't believe they will beat this offseason. Literally everyone here has said "ok, if it's about 3/$45 or 3/$50 this makes sense" and we've been saying that since the start of the offseason. There will probably be 5 other teams saying the same thing. That money would be there if he waited until February. To get him to sign now, you're going to have to go well beyond that, to give him an offer that isn't going to be beaten later.

well then why didn't Grandal sign for more given they aren't really in the same time zone with regards to impact.  as uh, ya know, he signed weeks ago now so presumably in your hypothetical market he also required much more to sign early...

Edited by chitownsportsfan

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I’m not sure I agree.  I could see many teams being very low on his defense and when combined with the loss of a draft pick getting the “no fucking way” treatment like Keuchel & Kimbrel did last offseason.  I think he’s better off signing before Castellanos and not waiting for teams to find other ways to spend their money.  I mean, this was a guy many felt should accept the QO.  That usually doesn’t bode well for having a lot of leverage in free agency.

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

We've been over this.  He's mediocre.  Think recent Avi not Palka.  And if Luis Robert really does cover the 25% of the earth not covered by water his defensive importance will be mitigated.

How would his arm play in RF?

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That all makes sense, but then you have Grandal who was signed very early to shockingly fair price. So it's hard to really know.

I'll get it on this and say 4 yrs/$68M.

9 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I didn't look at their projections but thats where I have him at, 3/50.  Anything more than that feels like a big overpay for me.

Fangraphs likes him for projections but he's not that exciting based on his last 2 years of production.

He’s been historically unlucky in the Statcast era.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Apparently Eaton and Garcia will be getting lots of late inning playing time.