Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Why do we think this is a forgone conclusion he'd end up in RF? Maybe the Sox don't want to have McCann/Collins as the DH solution? Rosters will be at 26 next year and that additional player must be a position player. 

Because we wouldn't sign Ozuna to a big deal to be our DH when that goes to Jose when Vaughn comes up. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Because we wouldn't sign Ozuna to a big deal to be our DH when that goes to Jose when Vaughn comes up. 

Until Vaughn forces the issue, he's not a part of the big league roster yet. There are still other scenarios where he is used as a trade chip or simply does not make it. I don't think that is the likely outcome (not is that my preference for how the organization handles him), but I also don't think that you can write his name at 1B in pen. 

10 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Until Vaughn forces the issue, he's not a part of the big league roster yet. There are still other scenarios where he is used as a trade chip or simply does not make it. I don't think that is the likely outcome (not is that my preference for how the organization handles him), but I also don't think that you can write his name at 1B in pen. 

I disagree. Vaughn is ahead of where Madrigal was at the same respective point last year in terms of WRC+ in A and A+.

I think you can put his name at 1B in permanent marker. 

It would be beyond pathetic if they were forced to trade him for a SP. Just spend some damn money.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Ozuna doesn't hit RHP better than LHP. It's actually the opposite.

His numbers from this past season may appear that way, but he only had 89 PAs for LHP. That's far too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions. For his career, he has a 126 wRC+ vs LHP and a 109 wRC+ vs RHP. 

Look at the last three years aggregated.  Identical numbers.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Look at the last three years aggregated.  Identical numbers.

They are, but that's because 2017 is skewing it so heavily, and the lack of PAs vs LHP in 2019 makes the aggregation less of a true three year sample. I think his career figures are much more telling. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

They are, but that's because 2017 is skewing it so heavily, and the lack of PAs vs LHP in 2019 makes the aggregation less of a true three year sample. I think his career figures are much more telling. 

Well, he’s definitely no Joc, Jose Valentin or Moncada against LHP prior to this year.  He’s an everyday player, assuming he’s healthy.

15 minutes ago, hi8is said:

They just tried spending 125 million after spending 125 million, smart guy.

We don't want them to try to spend, we want them to actually spend.

They can easily afford a 3/60 deal for Ryu. 

They could also get creative and "spend" by getting a cost controlled proven 2/3 pitcher thru offering a combination of absorbing a bad contract and some lesser mid level prospects rather than doing something stupid like trading Vaughn.

42 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

4/60.

This feels about right to me.  While it's fair to ask why Ozuna would sign early if he didn't get a big offer, you could just as easily ask why would the Sox make a big offer now with so many other options available, both free agents and trade.  Seems more likely that they would have made Ozuna a reaonable middle of the road type offer, and told him to let them know by the winter meetings before they start discussing other options.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, he’s definitely no Joc, Jose Valentin or Moncada against LHP prior to this year.  He’s an everyday player, assuming he’s healthy.

For sure. He's a guy you can pencil in for all 162 if he's healthy and not have to worry about splits. I just wanted to push back on the notion that he's better against RHP, as that has only truly been the case in 2017 since this year was a very SSS

30 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I disagree. Vaughn is ahead of where Madrigal was at the same respective point last year in terms of WRC+ in A and A+.

I think you can put his name at 1B in permanent marker. 

It would be beyond pathetic if they were forced to trade him for a SP. Just spend some damn money.

These are 2 different types of players. One is winning Gold Gloves in the minors, the other is an undersized 1B. Maybe hitting wise, he is ahead of Madrigal, but at the end of the day, Jerry is going to play the control card.

Trading Vaughn is also not advisable due to the fact we shouldn’t sniff another Top Ten pick for five years or more...1B/DH spending has always been a huge area of blown opportunity cost/inefficiency with this organization, and we need those younger, cost-controlled players to balance out the more expensive veterans.

2 minutes ago, Cashman said:

These are 2 different types of players. One is winning Gold Gloves in the minors, the other is an undersized 1B. Maybe hitting wise, he is ahead of Madrigal, but at the end of the day, Jerry is going to play the control card.

Ofcourse he will play the control card, but that doesn't change the fact that absent injury there's no reason to think he won't be in Chicago at latest by early 2021 and realistically he should be MLB ready by late 2020.

5 minutes ago, Cashman said:

In this argument, the Sox blew the pick or are selling low on him...I can’t remember the last time we traded a first rounder so early...Poreda and Royce Ring I guess, but they weren’t anywhere close to top 3-5 overall picks.

Selling Madrigal after his debut year would have been similarly dubious...give him a full season (and spring training) to get his feet underneath him.  Or Luis Robert, for that matter, although he was much more inexperienced than two PAC 12 players who have been playing at the highest competitive level since age 14-15.

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wouldn’t pay for Ozuna, but if I did not sure why I’d give him much more than AJ pollock made last offseason.

Because Pollock is never healthy...if they can get away with Ozuna and Ryu for Wheeler’s money...that would be a huge victory.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1