Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

41 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

We don't want them to try to spend, we want them to actually spend.

They can easily afford a 3/60 deal for Ryu. 

They could also get creative and "spend" by getting a cost controlled proven 2/3 pitcher thru offering a combination of absorbing a bad contract and some lesser mid level prospects rather than doing something stupid like trading Vaughn.

See, smart guy.

Let’s watch a game and call each other stupid names sometime this year. I’m also in so cal.

We are many in number here on Soxtalk, actually.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

If he was only getting 3/$50, what are the odds he'd sign now rather than waiting to see if a better option appeared later in the offseason? There's every reason to think several teams would be interested at that amount and that the offer wouldn't go away.

To get him to sign now, my guess would be his contract is comparable to Grandal's. That's an offer they might not be able to beat by waiting.

Agreed.  There is no incentive for Ozuna to sign now for a paltry 3/50 when he is arguably the second best free agent outfielder available and Castellanos has yet to sign.  He’s 29 years old.  He’s going for the longest term contract he can get because he wouldn’t get much as a 32/33 year old on the open market if he signed an absolutely nonsensical 3 year deal as suggested by some posters here.  People need to start using logic and common sense.  It’s embarrassing...

I just want to say that Balta gets some heat for his opinions but it seems like he is one of the few posters around here that has a realistic perspective on free agency and contracts.  Everyone else expects to sign second tier players for nothing.

And how did this idea ever enter Sox fans minds considering the Sox front office is usually dumpster diving for has-been‘s and never were’s in the past ten years?  I have no idea...

For the first time in forever, the Sox are actually going after tier A and B free agents and posters expect them to sign these guys for chump change.  It’s ridiculous.

With Ozuna and a few more good signings, I will be ready to bow down and blow ChicagoWhiteSox for the quote that I retained from him last summer in my signature...

ChicagoWhiteSox —>  🍆💦😵  <— Moan4Yoan

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Orlando said:

A fake Steve Cishek account that people are taking serious. (You can’t make this stuff up)

I don’t think that’s totally true, the morning show before and after Hahn was heavily pushing it too (though not that they were about to sign him)

47 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

In this argument, the Sox blew the pick or are selling low on him...I can’t remember the last time we traded a first rounder so early...Poreda and Royce Ring I guess, but they weren’t anywhere close to top 3-5 overall picks.

Selling Madrigal after his debut year would have been similarly dubious...give him a full season (and spring training) to get his feet underneath him.  Or Luis Robert, for that matter, although he was much more inexperienced than two PAC 12 players who have been playing at the highest competitive level since age 14-15.

I have no idea where you came up with this from what I said. I was simply implying home runs are sexy, slap hitting is not. I think Madrigal is going to be a worst a cheap gold glove replacement right now to Yolmer. We can talk about how I am not sure how him swinging at literally EVERYTHING is going to or not going to translate to MLB pitching if you want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macsandz said:

Doing what? He was told it's not true and he's not wrong. As of today Ozuna hasn't signed with the White Sox.  How Bruce wants to publically characterize his intel is on him and he's paid for it more than once.

He was told the report was not true. The report that stated he was signing Monday. 

14 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Right? 😆

and people were getting upset for poop and Jim Carey gif posts 😆

Dude, no offense to your humor but poop jokes got old when Kriss Kross was topping the hip hop charts...  and I’m being fucking generous.  Get some new material, duder...

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He was told the report was not true. The report that stated he was signing Monday. 

Indeed, this is what I heard.  He completely refuted the report this morning on his crappy radio show and I hope he looks like a fool on Monday, just because he’s an annoying turd with no talent.

24 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed.  There is no incentive for Ozuna to sign now for a paltry 3/50 when he is arguably the second best free agent outfielder available and Castellanos has yet to sign.  He’s 29 years old.  He’s going for the longest term contract he can get because he wouldn’t get much as a 32/33 year old on the open market if he signed an absolutely nonsensical 3 year deal as suggested by some posters here.  People need to start using logic and common sense.  It’s embarrassing...

I just want to say that Balta gets some heat for his opinions but it seems like he is one of the few posters around here that has a realistic perspective on free agency and contracts.  Everyone else expects to sign second tier players for nothing.

And how did this idea ever enter Sox fans minds considering the Sox front office is usually dumpster diving for has-been‘s and never were’s in the past ten years?  I have no idea...

For the first time in forever, the Sox are actually going after tier A and B free agents and posters expect them to sign these guys for chump change.  It’s ridiculous.

With Ozuna and a few more good signings, I will be ready to bow down and blow ChicagoWhiteSox for the quote that I retained from him last summer in my signature...

ChicagoWhiteSox —>  🍆💦😵  <— Moan4Yoan

Castellanos Career fWAR=10.5

Ozuna Career fWAR=20.4

If you limit it to the last two seasons, Castellanos has the slight advantage but most of the advanced metrics favor Ozuna...with Castellanos, you’re really buying (high) into his 2018/19 seasons being the new norm for him offensively, but his outfield defense means any major slippage offensively or significant time at DH lowers his overall value.

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ozuna Career fWAR=20.4

If you limit it to the last two seasons, Castellanos has the slight advantage but most of the advanced metrics favor Ozuna...with Castellanos, you’re really buying (high) into his 2018/19 seasons being the new norm for him offensively, but his outfield defense means any major slippage offensively or significant time at DH lowers his overall value.

Good to know...  I eliminated Castellanos from all probability once he switched to Boras.

Ozuna used to be represented by Boras but he switched to MDR Sports Management, a Puerto Rican-headquartered agency, last spring...

https://www.12up.com/posts/2020-free-agent-marcell-ozuna-officially-adds-new-representative-after-ditching-scott-boras-01dasgp92t30

... so it may be no surprise that some random Dominican sports reporter scooped the great Bruce Levine.

By the way, I forgot to add that both Levine and Spiegel still thought that Ozuna was represented by Boras on their radio show this morning.  These clowns don’t even know how to perform simple Google searches before spouting their BS “sports knowledge.”

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Indeed, this is what I heard.  He completely refuted the report this morning on his crappy radio show and I hope he looks like a fool on Monday, just because he’s an annoying turd with no talent.

In all fairness, Making a living reporting sports news is by default admitting no talent for anything tangible.   They’re all terds.  

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

In all fairness, Making a living reporting sports news is by default admitting no talent for anything tangible.   They’re all terds.  

But if you have listened to him a lot, Bruce Levine goes on the radio with an air of arrogance and I hope nothing but the worst for him.

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ozuna Career fWAR=20.4

The argument can be made that Castellanos is improving (and younger) by a look at any of his metrics over the last 2-3 years, including his OPS+ which takes park factor into account.  I think his bat will be much better over the course of a 5 year deal than Ozunas.

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The argument can be made that Castellanos is improving (and younger) by a look at any of his metrics over the last 2-3 years, including his OPS+ which takes park factor into account.  I think his bat will be much better over the course of a 5 year deal than Ozunas.

And a lot of Ozuna production came in a single year he hasn’t come close to replicating offensively, and his early career WAR was fueled by defense he hasn’t come close to replicating. 

With Castellanos you can be much more sure to expect a wRC+ above 110. With Ozuna? He isn’t unlikely to hit it, but he’s also not unlikely to have just an average year offensively.

He really isn’t that different than when we signed Melky.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

But if you have listened to him a lot, Bruce Levine goes on the radio with an air of arrogance and I hope nothing but the worst for him.

Bruce is a Cub ass kisser and loves providing negative Sox news can’t stand the guy.

This whole thing is weird.  I will say this:  Hector Gomez was pretty tied in to the Machado pursuit last year and clearly cares about his reputation (defends his Machado reporting to anyone who brings it up).  The fact that he ran with this means Frank Castillo is legit in the DR.  Real sports reporters don't want to torch their reputations, so I think there's something to this.  He made a pretty definitive Ozuna to the Sox statement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1