Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Love signing long term deals to players you’ll want to upgrade from by year 2.

The problem is that you have a vastly different view of Ozuna than most of us here do.  The majority of us see a 3 win OF, seems like you see something far less or one that will quickly become far less in due time.

23 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I would be fine with Pederson. My problem is, I think people around here are out to lunch with what they think could land him. I'm seeing garbage like Fulmer. The guy hit 37 HR's with less than 500 at bats. They aren't giving him away, even in his walk year. They're going to want Dunning or Stiever at least.

Yeah that would hurt....that would be too much even tho I really want Joc.

Perhaps the Dodgers want alot for him because maybe they want to keep all their trade chips for a large volume offer to Cleveland for Lindor, although I assume a Cleveland team wanting to rebuild wouldn't have much use for a slugger on a 1 year deal (or 2 years with the QO).

I wonder if Kelvin Herrera, Fulmer and Bernardo Flores would work. Hopefully the Ozuna rumor will sour the Dodgers into being reasonable.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

For the Ozuna haters; here are his projected stats vs. RH pitching, over a full 162 games last year, during which time he missed 32 games:

vs RHP as RHB     649 460 568   141 26 1 32 97 0 0 79 127 .249 .341 .473 .814

I'll take those numbers, (26 doubles, 32 homers, 97 RBI's and a .341 OBP) versus RH pitching and that was not as good as his 2017 season. 

I realize that those are projected stats, over 162 games, but it provides some perspective, since he missed 32 games. 

Edited by Lillian

1 minute ago, Sox80 said:

Castellanos and Ryu for me please.  

What is the estimates on a Ryu contract? He is a Boras guy which usually means wait the market out. But this year seems to be take the best early offer. If Wheeler got $ 18 does Ryu get maybe $16 for 3 yrs ( -for age+ for LH)? 

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

I'm surprised to learn that. How did he ever win a gold glove? 

Good question.  Maybe he made zero errors that year, and that was all it took.  I don't know.  You can ask the same question about Palmiero getting a GG years ago when he only played 19 games or so at first base and was a DH the rest of that year.

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The problem is that you have a vastly different view of Ozuna than most of us here do.  The majority of us see a 3 win OF, seems like you see something far less or one that will quickly become far less in due time.

Not saying this is why bmags doesn’t like him but you are going to have a lot of fans mad if they sign him in general simply because he’s not as big of a household name as castellanos, hasn’t been spoken as much about or linked as a possibility of signing with us, while his stats haven’t been the same since 2017. Depending on the money he will command that will upset another portion of the fan base. I’m kinda meh to it, I think he’s a great compliment to the rest of the lineup and if he’s your number 6 hitter you aren’t doing too shabby in my opinion 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Good question.  Maybe he made zero errors that year, and that was all it took.  I don't know.  You can ask the same question about Palmiero getting a GG years ago when he only played 19 games or so at first base and was a DH the rest of that year.

Wow, I didn't remember that. That is really strange. How do you give a Gold Glove to a guy who didn't even play the position? Are you sure?

8 minutes ago, Orlando said:

FeganS comment confirms that they have at least negotiated. Maybe they have been burned so much that they won’t call it imminent until the ink dries. Or maybe they don’t know he’s going to accept their offer. 

Something similar has crossed my mind too.  Grandal was totally unreported before it happened.  Wheeler was leaky as hell and didn't happen.  *Maybe* the FO is on total lockdown until the Ozuna contract is signed??  

Edited by SouthWallace

11 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Wow, I didn't remember that. That is really strange. How do you give a Gold Glove to a guy who didn't even play the position? Are you sure?

Actually it was more like 28-29 games at first base, the rest at DH back in late 90's.  It was laughable then, and baseball writers (or whoever makes the awards) took some heat for it.

17 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

What is the estimates on a Ryu contract? He is a Boras guy which usually means wait the market out. But this year seems to be take the best early offer. If Wheeler got $ 18 does Ryu get maybe $16 for 3 yrs ( -for age+ for LH)? 

Honestly I couldn't tell you.  That's just the players I want right now.  I wanted wheeler.  That ship has obviously past. I'm just gonna have to wait and try to be optimistic right now. 

A few days ago, MLB TradeRumors had projected Ozuna to sign for something around 3 years, $45 Million. That would be great with me. Then sign Ryu plus  anyone who could be a 5TH starter and call it an off season.  That is, of course, unless his arm really is shot.

Edited by Lillian

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

A few days ago, MLB TradeRumors had projected Ozuna to sign for something around 3 years, $45 Million. That would be great with me. Then sign Ryu plus  anyone who could be a 5TH starter and call it an off season.  

Some of their contract numbers are pretty ridiculous.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2020.html

Castellanos is only going to get 4-years, $58 million?