Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Some of their contract numbers are pretty ridiculous.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2020.html

Castellanos is only going to get 4-years, $58 million?

Wow, that is way off. That's less than $15 Million per year. I guess they're not worth paying much attention to, regarding projected salaries. Never mind.

35 minutes ago, Orlando said:

FeganS comment confirms that they have at least negotiated. Maybe they have been burned so much that they won’t call it imminent until the ink dries. Or maybe they don’t know he’s going to accept their offer. 

It would make sense to me that they would talk with Ozuna, put an offer on the table, and tell him to let them know before the winter meetings if possible because they intend to talk trades and explore other alternatives for right field this week.  Ozuna may have decided to accept just yesterday and word got to the DR reporter.  When this broke yesterday, it's possible the Sox hadn't even been notified yet that Ozuna would accept their offer.  Or.....this is just all baloney lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

It would make sense to me that they would talk with Ozuna, put an offer on the table, and tell him to let them know before the winter meetings if possible because they intend to talk trades and explore other alternatives for right field this week.  Ozuna may have decided to accept just yesterday and word got to the DR reporter.  When this broke yesterday, it's possible the Sox hadn't even been notified yet that Ozuna would accept their offer.  Or.....this is just all baloney lol.

Yup! The only other possible scenario is Ozuna leaked this on the DR side to get another team to up their offer. Put pressure on them to step up and make a better offer before he flies to sign with the Sox.

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There is no perfect fit that won’t cost talent.  Who is a better fit than Ozuna who will only cost money (and a second round draft pick)?

Both Joc and Peralta should not cost anything more than fringe prospects we're very unlikely to miss, both play better defense than Ozuna, both cost less $ on an AAV basis, both are 1 year commitments, both leave RF open for a nice 2021 class for RF.  They also both bat left handed which is a nice plus as well. 

If the Sox sign Ozuna, I won't HATE it.  I really don't like the fit, but he is an enormous upgrade over what we had out there in 2019, and all internal options.  But I really hate the Sox basically punting OF defense for the term of the contract.  Good teams don't punt defense, especially with a young developing pitching staff. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Both Joc and Peralta should not cost anything more than fringe prospects we're very unlikely to miss, both play better defense than Ozuna, both cost less $ on an AAV basis, both are 1 year commitments, both leave RF open for a nice 2021 class for RF.  They also both bat left handed which is a nice plus as well. 

If the Sox sign Ozuna, I won't HATE it.  I really don't like the fit, but he is an enormous upgrade over what we had out there in 2019, and all internal options.  But I really hate the Sox basically punting OF defense for the term of the contract.  Good teams don't punt defense, especially with a young developing pitching staff. 

I‘m not so sure about the cost of Joc being only fringe prospects.  I realize that Pham was under control for two years but he still cost more than fringe prospects.  I guess we will see the true cost of guys like Joc and Peralta when and if they are traded.

15 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Not saying this is not true but Jon Heyman was the big national guy who pushed the 7/175 stuff . Bruce was the guy who called an Eloy extension a “pipe dream”. Dominican reporter put both to shame 

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

I‘m not so sure about the cost of Joc being only fringe prospects.  I realize that Pham was under control for two years but he still cost more than fringe prospects.  I guess we will see the true cost of guys like Joc and Peralta when and if they are traded.

Joc would cost a little more than Peralta, for sure.  But you can definitely get Joc without any of our premium prospects or current MLB pieces.  

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I have no idea whats going on in this thread since last night I was out...

...but while I love Ozuna and Castellanos, why are most people on this site AGAINST the idea of signing Puig?

Puig has a ton of potential, the cuban connection, will receive a significantly cheaper contract than the other two, has tons of speed, I *think* plays better defense?

Just food for thought.. seems like such a good fit. I'd be very excited about Ozuna or Castellanos as well, but Castellanos is one of the worst defenders in the league and Ozuna probably isn't much better...

Basically because no amount of love from his fellow Cubans can make a zebra change his stripes.He has admitted he only got in shape for his contract year. That's terrible.  He also has a tendency to be the center of brawls thereby forcing his team mates to defend him and putting themselves in harms way.

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Apparently we aren't able to walk and chew gum at the same time if Heyman is to be believed.

Although perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. 

Yep, so weird for Heyman to word it that way.  If GMs can’t maneuver acquiring more than one player or position at a time, they are pretty worthless.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Wow, that is way off. That's less than $15 Million per year. I guess they're not worth paying much attention to, regarding projected salaries. Never mind.

I definitely wouldn't say MLTBR isn't worth paying attention to in regard to their projections.  But they made their predictions before any moves had been made.  So far,  of the major free agents that have signed, almost all of them have been bigger deals than most expected.  So I think everyone's "updated assumptions" have increased, and MLBTR doesn't revise their original projections as the market develops.  

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I definitely wouldn't say MLTBR isn't worth paying attention to in regard to their projections.  But they made their predictions before any moves had been made.  So far,  of the major free agents that have signed, almost all of them have been bigger deals than most expected.  So I think everyone's "updated assumptions" have increased, and MLBTR doesn't revise their original projections as the market develops.  

They erred on the side of caution because last year

14 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Apparently we aren't able to walk and chew gum at the same time if Heyman is to be believed.

Outfield is another gap the Sox need to fill.  Just because they’re “focused on pitching” doesn’t mean they’re not looking to sign an outfielder, too.  And if the deal is already done, they can be focused on pitching.

Not saying I think the rumor is true, but Heyman’s logic doesn’t make sense.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Could it be they want to spend a lot of money on pitching. If they succeed, they may have to trade for a low cost RF for now because money will be gone. If they miss out on the pitching, they can spend more on RF. I could be wrong, but it is possible. 

58 minutes ago, Lillian said:

They were pretty accurate on Will SMith, Travis D'Arnaud, Chris Martin, Wheeler, Pineda and Grandal. Hamels they said 2/$30M and he got 1/$18M . Gibson they said 2/$18 and he got 3/$30M so the AAV was pretty accurate.

The problem is that the past few years the FA market has been depressed and this year it's not at least for maybe the top 20 or so talents. That explains why they were pretty off on Moustakas and Drew Pomeranz but so far they are doing OK. Guess we will see on the others.

According to Morosi two days ago, the Sox were waiting on Castellanos and Ozuna before jumping into the Tsutugo sweepstakes.  This conflicts with what Heyman is saying.

https://www.mlb.com/news/yoshitomo-tsutsugo-drawing-interest-from-al-clubs

“The White Sox likely won’t attempt to sign Tsutsugo immediately, while waiting for decisions from free agents Nicholas Castellanos and Marcell Ozuna.”
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1