Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

Just to recap:

Morosi: “ Sox are awaiting a decision from Castellanos and Ozuna”

Levine: “has not signed with the White Sox”

Heyman: “ no deal is imminent”

All of these imply the Sox and Ozuna have been talking.

Frank: “ traveling to the US to sign with the Sox”

Hector: “he’s traveling to the US tonight”, “I trust my colleagues report”

I believe a deal has been agreed to in principal and will be signed soon. I truly  believe the Sox are scared of backlash if a deal falls apart. They aren’t counting their eggs before the hatch.

Edited by Orlando

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Also I dont think there is any chance they are signing him as a primary DH.  He's not even that good of a hitter.

If they were going to trade Vaughn I'd rather them try to get JDM for DH.

Ozuna was a top 25 hitter in all of baseball last year based on xWOBA.  I know people don’t think he’s that good of a hitter based on his OPS / wRC+ the last two years, but I personally put a ton of faith in the Statcast metrics and think he’s a guy who blow up next year.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ozuna was a top 25 hitter in all of baseball last year based on xWOBA.  I know people don’t think he’s that good of a hitter based on his OPS / wRC+ the last two years, but I personally put a ton of faith in the Statcast metrics and think he’s a guy who blow up next year.

He had one of the highest hard hit rates last year...

https://www.mlb.com/news/marcell-ozuna-is-one-of-the-best-free-agent-hitters

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Just to recap:

I believe a deal has been agreed to in principal and will be signed soon. I truly  believe the Sox are scared of backlash if a deal falls apart. They aren’t counting their eggs before the hatch.

If only they would’ve taken that approach with Wheeler...

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Just to recap:

Could be a "handshake" deal. We all remember Torii Hunter...

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But real talk, how in the world could they get by in RF with what they have?  What we got out of RF last year was the worst producing in baseball by wide margin.  If people don’t like Ozuna that’s totally fine, but we’d defiantly need to make a big addition to solve RF.  It’s as big of as issue as our pitching needs.

Because you can have a hole in the lineup and still be okay; and our hole won't be on defense.
You can't have a hole in the rotation.  And yes it doesn't preclude a starter...but this org. has a history over the last 20 years of being a starter short when in contention (2005 obviously excepted)
I really don't want the Sox to wed themselves to a flawed player like Ozuna;  there may be someone they can grab in July on a salary dump.
As for the pen, those names you listed:  they all had career years last year.  And none are of the stud variety to pull you out of jams. Just sayin...

Edited by GreenSox

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

22 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

He had one of the highest hard hit rates last year...

https://www.mlb.com/news/marcell-ozuna-is-one-of-the-best-free-agent-hitters

I read something that he start getting shifted against from 3 or 4% to 12 or 13% over the last two years.

Which could explain why his peripherals have remained the same but his numbers have gone down.

2 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

this is such a meh signing after grandal

Disagree. Every option available for RF is flawed in some way. Adding Ozuna's bat to the lineup is a massive plus. Sure his defense is absolutely suspect out there (and he's not my top choice to put in RF) but if it prevents me from watching the Palka's, Cordell's, and Tilson's of the world - I can be happy with it. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Disagree. Every option available for RF is flawed in some way. Adding Ozuna's bat to the lineup is a massive plus. Sure his defense is absolutely suspect out there (and he's not my top choice to put in RF) but if it prevents me from watching the Palka's, Cordell's, and Tilson's of the world - I can be happy with it. 

Yup! Just a few years ago in MIA Ozuna put up an amazing hitting season.

This guy would be a major boom for us in our line up compared to the past x amount of years. We will have a very scary line up.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Yup! Just a few years ago in MIA Ozuna put up an amazing hitting season.

This guy would be a major boom for us in our line up compared to the past x amount of years. We will have a very scary line up.

No resting against this lineup.  Opposing pitcher can be on cruise control then the roof caves in.  

2 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I disagree. Ozuna at the RATE could be a beast. 

I'm not saying this to be snarky at you in particular, or personally, but just a general question to anyone; has playing at USCF/GRF ever actually boosted a free agent or trade's power numbers?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nickofypres said:

I'm not saying this to be snarky at you in particular, or personally, but just a general question to anyone; has playing at USCF/GRF ever actually boosted a free agent or trade's power numbers?

Sure, Mike Sweeney and Miguel Cabrera

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I was shocked looking at Ozuna's statcast metrics from last season. Obviously every team in baseball is aware of these numbers and most factor them into long-term projections, but if he actually hit to the level xWOBA says he deserved Ozuna would probably be in the ~25M AAV range. Seems like there's still upside in his bat. My opinion on him as a hitter definitely went up after seeing those.

Marcel Ozuna last year

exit velocity: 93rd percent tile

xWOBA: 92nd percent tile

xBA: 86th percent tile

sprint speed: 63rd percent tile

• Thanks 2