Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Morosi just said that he believes the Sox will land one of Castellanos or Ozuna and have been in contact with both. Also has them in on Tsutsugo

Morosi has been reporting this while Heyman and Levine say otherwise.  If Ozuna happens, obviously Tsutsugo won’t.

13 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I was shocked looking at Ozuna's statcast metrics from last season. Obviously every team in baseball is aware of these numbers and most factor them into long-term projections, but if he actually hit to the level xWOBA says he deserved Ozuna would probably be in the ~25M AAV range. Seems like there's still upside in his bat. My opinion on him as a hitter definitely went up after seeing those.

Marcel Ozuna last year

exit velocity: 93rd percent tile

xWOBA: 92nd percent tile

xBA: 86th percent tile

sprint speed: 63rd percent tile

Exactly, maybe there is something unique about him that has caused him to underperform his batted ball profile, but he was the only guy to underachieve his xWOBA by more than 20 points in both 2018 & 2019.  It’s hard to believe something like shifts are the reason he’s the sole guy to do that.  I honestly believe there’s untapped value here.

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Would we get Ozuna and Tsutsugo? IDK anything about Tsutsugo but if his defense is good and he wouldn't command too much money we could use him in the OF and Ozuna as DH,. 

I honestly don't want anything to do with 30 year old Japanese position players.  They almost always are nothing at that stage of their career.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Morosi just said that he believes the Sox will land one of Castellanos or Ozuna and have been in contact with both.

Sign em both, let them figure out who plays right field. DH the other then you can look at trading some prospects for a SP. Fuck it go all in.

30 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Morosi just said that he believes the Sox will land one of Castellanos or Ozuna and have been in contact with both. Also has them in on Tsutsugo

I'd be very happy with either of those two. Tsutsugo makes no sense. He's got 12 games in RF for his career, and Baseball-Reference doesn't show any fielding statistics since 2017. Unless that's an error, he's strictly a DH.

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I'd be very happy with either of those two. Tsutsugo makes no sense. He's got 12 games in RF for his career, and Baseball-Reference doesn't show any fielding statistics since 2017. Unless that's an error, he's strictly a DH.

Frankly Castellanos and Ozuna should be strictly DHs as well when Eloy is in the other corner.  

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Dave's also gone on record saying he won't scoop things out of fear of screwing it up for the Sox. If anything big is going on, I would be surprised if it came from him.

He wrote multiple Barstool Sports articles about the Sox interest in Wheeler up until they missed out on him.  He knows nothing.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/lets-talk-some-zack-wheeler-speculation

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/the-zack-wheeler-sweepstakes-could-wrap-up-as-soon-as-today

Edited by Moan4Yoan

There's just NO way they sign Ozuna and Castellanos.

They have to keep that money for one of the better FA's, unless they're going to trade the farm for one of them.

They can sign ONE of those two and a cheaper DH option, like an EE or Cron/Adams/Smoak (if he's still out there), but the numbers are going to start to get really tight adding FOUR big contracts in a single offseason, without knowing what you actually have with so many players on the current 40 man roster.

13 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Yeah, probably, but at least they both have experience there over the course of their careers. 

Ozuna has experience as a RF but most of it was his 1st year(2013) in Majors.  He has only played 65 games there and 36 were in 2013. Since then he has very limited appearances, 

15 minutes ago, Cashman said:

He knows absolutely nothing. Unfollow anything from barstool, it is a joke.

This is absolutely not true. Dave gets quite a bit of solid info regularly. He's a fan though and knows Rick Hahn. He straddles that line and doesn't want to legitimately hurt the team by reporting info at times. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Ozuna has experience as a RF but most of it was his 1st year(2013) in Majors.  He has only played 65 games there and 36 were in 2013. Since then he has very limited appearances, 

People on Twitter think Ozuna would be better than Castellanos defensively in right field because he has a Gold Glove, even though he won that as a left fielder. Lol

Edited by YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

12 minutes ago, Cashman said:

He knows absolutely nothing. Unfollow anything from barstool, it is a joke.

I love getting these type of posts sent to me.... Holy hell.  Relax man, the internet is a big place, there's a reason I don't sit on jezebel all day.  People can pick and choose the content they consume.  Whether you like me/barstool or not, it's wildly successful so calling it a "joke" is incorrect.

I wouldn't say I know "nothing" either, I'd say I know much more than the typical fan.  With Wheeler/Grandal the organization played everything as close to the vest as possible, as they should.  They're operating in stealth mode.  There are a few names I know they've been working on that people have no idea on.  Not gonna say who, I'll let you all speculate amongst yourselves.

As for Ozuna, like Heyman said, I was told there isn't an agreement in place.  Take that as you will.  I don't think I'm wrong, but never say never.  Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong, if I am.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3