Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

Just now, bmags said:

And the white Sox knee the Indians traded information in this scenario...how.

I don’t understand the question.  If you’re asking how the White Sox would know the Indians provided this info, I’m not sure why that matters.  As soon as a potential deal is made public, a team can no longer control the flow of information at that point.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

It’s subjective...but there is also a process around it and owned within the franchise. Friedman gets outside info and overrules his own massive team below him?

If said information changes the valuation, of course he would.  I have worked on deals that looked liked no brainers for my company and then one piece of info during the diligence process blows it up.  That’s exactly how deals work.

15 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Couldn't the agent also be a possibility?

I doubt it. Just look at this thread. WSD claims and more than a couple have corroborated he gets a lot of info. I would imagine that info is coming from White Sox people. I would doubt he was the only one his source alone says something. It is 50/50 at best Jason Kinander had any idea who Joc Peterson’s agent was when he went on twitter. Personally, I think scouts are the sources of most leaks teams don’t want out there.

It’s not like the Dodgers HAD to trade him...it was only if a better than expected return came around.

Maybe Buehler warned them off Fulmer.  Maybe the Dodgers’ SEC/Vandy/Southeast Region scout sabotaged it.

It’s just as likely to work that way, as a Grandal being able to bring in his ex-teammates from the Dodgers or Brewers or pretty much any NL pitcher, as he’s going to be more familiar with most of them than anyone in the Sox organization, facing them as a hitter as well as talking shop with rival catchers.

Anything is possible, but it’s not like Friedman was ordered to deal Joc at the best available price, like the Padres did with Shields or the Indians with Bauer.

https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-dr-news/sports/white-sox-dodgers-deal-for-outfielder-joc-pederson-still-possible-sources-say/

There’s a story within a story here. The report was broken Jan. 19 by Jason Kinander, a student at Saint Ignatius who writes for the website FanSided. His proud mother is NBC Chicago sportscaster Peggy Kusinski.

Kinander’s tweet came within hours of the sides discussing a deal. Baseball media big foot Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic credited Kinander after tweeting Jan. 20: “On rumors of Joc Pederson trade to #WhiteSox: #Dodgers have been discussing Pederson in possible deals, rival executives say. CWS one of clubs in those conversations, according to sources. Not known if talks are advanced to point where teams are close to a deal.”

Edited by caulfield12

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If said information changes the valuation, of course he would.  I have worked on deals that looked liked no brainers for my company and then one piece of info during the diligence process blows it up.  That’s exactly how deals work.

Maybe something like that happens once in a while in a baseball trade, although I tend to think most teams would go with their in house valuation,but this was more a financial move for the Dodgers. Maybe the awkwardness of having it out there, and Joc at the time was doing some sort of fan fest thing made them back away and not the return on the dealor maybe they were going to back away anyway. Bummer was one guy in there, and he was great last year. Elite. Of course the same thing was said about Frye the year before, so whether it’s permanent or not we will see.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

So to get this thread back on track, what's the latest with Ozuna?  He did travel to the US last night, right?

Any tail fin #’s on private planes out of the Dominican to the Winter Meetings or Chicago?

That used to work for NCAA football and basketball coaching changes...last Instagram update was his game there 16 hours ago.

Of course, it also says he’s still with the Cardinals.

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yes most deals don’t finalize for many reasons that can come up early or late. Attributing it to a leak is obviously BS because leaks happen all the time in baseball and no other GM goes around attributing it to deals falling through (because it doesn’t make sense as to how it could have been the sole cause).

If one of the players had a bad medical...it would have shown up eventually.

4 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

The QO attached to essentially paying a DH scares me tbh.  Would rather have Castellanos.

I would rather have Castellanos based on player alone.. The fact that Ozuna has a QO makes it an even larger gap... Unless we can somehow get him relatively cheap.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Really hope today comes and goes without any Ozuna to Sox news. Then we’ll know the report was BS. 

It's funny, I really didn't want anything to do with Ozuna until this report surfaced.  Now after gathering more info, I wouldn't mind it. It's obviously not a perfect move, but if we wait around for the perfect move at every position, we could end up with nothing. I want this to happen. Our offense would receive a huge boost, and I love the Menechino connection.

4 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

The QO attached to essentially paying a DH scares me tbh.  Would rather have Castellanos.

I respect your opinion.  However, anyone who thinks that Castellanos is a better RF'er than Ozuna is misinformed.  

Ozuna misplayed a few balls last year and they were shown over and over.  He was a gold glove outfielder on 2017, that is only 2 years ago.  Ozuna has much, much more pop in his bat then Castellanos.  I like castellanos but he's a one half wonder.  He was not much in Detroit and had one amazing 1/2 of a year.  Could it mean that he's figured some things out........sure, however look at some of Ozuna's hard hit metrics and everything tells you that man could absolutely explode at some point.  St. Louis is not a hitters park either.....

16 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

F*CKING YIKES

Every bit as bad as the Tatis trade; similar scenario too - neither had gotten into any game action prior to the trade. Although, at least Fields was good for the Dodgers as long as it wasn't the postseason.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

It's funny, I really didn't want anything to do with Ozuna until this report surfaced.  Now after gathering more info, I wouldn't mind it. It's obviously not a perfect move, but if we wait around for the perfect move at every position, we could end up with nothing. I want this to happen. Our offense would receive a huge boost, and I love the Menechino connection.

The perfect move likely isn’t attainable this off-season. Which is why I would be finding a stopgap right fielder for 2020 and solve that position long-term next off-season when there are much better options.

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Assuming Vaughn pans out, and that's no guarantee obviously but feels likely, the lineup with Ozuna is rake city.

1. TA

2. Yoan

3. Robert

4. Eloy

5. Abreu

6. Yaz

7. Ozuna

8. Vaughn

9. Madrigal

Jaysus

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The perfect move likely isn’t attainable this off-season. Which is why I would be finding a stopgap right fielder for 2020 and solve that position long-term next off-season when there are much better options.

Haven't we had enough stop gaps:

Palka, avi, jay, leury, cordell............

I have no issue with ozuna, pederson, and to a lesser extent castellanos

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Assuming Vaughn pans out, and that's a decent sized assumption at this point, the lineup with Ozuna is rake city.

1. TA

2. Yoan

3. Robert

4. Eloy

5. Abreu

6. Yaz

7. Ozuna

8. Vaughn

9. Madrigal

Jaysus

Good lord, that would be ridiculous. It would also allow us to put all of our focus on pitching for the next couple offseasons.