Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If the White Sox feel there's next to know chance Cole will come here without a significant overpay from the White Sox then why waste your time? Cole is already going to be "overpaid" in regards to expected salary because of the teams bidding but if you knew you had to overpay that overpay significantly to lure him from the West Coast or the Yankees then why waste your time in the market?

I don't think the Sox would sign him from 7/280 tomorrow - I don't agree with Rosenthal but he surely knows far more than me - but if they would and they don't think Cole would sign for that from the Sox then what's the point?

I guess the point would be that it's your job and they do not have perfect information that it will not work so they may as well bid.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, seems incredibly risky for Boras to wait out the Cubs with a market that could close up really quickly if the other suitors go in a different direction.

I am a fan of waiting the Ozuna/Castellanos markets out until the end, and signing whichever one is stuck out there late in the off-season hoping for a decent deal. I don't think the Sox will do that, and maybe they already got one to agree at a level they wanted.

Quick question Ray. Of those two personally, which one would you prefer the Sox get. Castellanos or Ozuna? 

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Quick question Ray. Of those two personally, which one would you prefer the Sox get. Castellanos or Ozuna? 

This is a tough one for me.

I actually think both bats could play up in this situation; I'd give the slight edge to Castellanos as he made some changes last year that really seemed to take off and he's always had a nice profile, he just didn't get the most out of it. 

I would be happy with either, but I'm also a huge believer in Roberts defense. With defense in mind, while Ozuna is a complete bonehead some times which is what causes his reputation to exceed his defensive metrics, I'd probably lean very slightly to Ozuna.

Regardless, this team is talking about adding Castellanos or Ozuna for their 6th/7th spot in the lineup and I just don't think the Sox can go wrong there. Neither will break the bank and kill the team if they don't get better either, so I'd take either one. I don't think the Sox are winning a Betts bidding - I doubt he'll even leave the Red Sox in the first place - so that is my train of thought.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Was Gomez able to speak to Ozuna last night? If so, it seems like it would be pretty easy to shoot down this rumor.  If he's sticking with his "I trust Frank Castillo" line, I would guess this is happening.

He said according to Frank though, nothing he heard for himself. I trust this leak because Frank clearly has sports ties in the DR. To save face, I can see the Sox waiting until Wednesday to announce this deal. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

He said according to Frank though, nothing he heard for himself. I trust this leak because Frank clearly has sports ties in the DR. To save face, I can see the Sox waiting until Wednesday to announce this deal. 

If this deal goes down, would the Sox really be able to hide it at the meetings? Word would get out quick, no? When other teams approach Ozuna’s agent etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'd be second in line calling the FO embarrassing, behind BMags, if this is true.

Pushing back a signing just to show some random Domincan Reporter that he wasn't right is about as silly as it gets.

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If this deal goes down, would the Sox really be able to hide it at the meetings? Word would get out quick, no? When other teams approach Ozuna’s agent etc.

That's true, but I think they may even tell Ozuna and his guy to wait a few days. That was an egg in face leak from over the weekend that the Sox tried to shoot down. 

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, seems incredibly risky for Boras to wait out the Cubs with a market that could close up really quickly if the other suitors go in a different direction.

I am a fan of waiting the Ozuna/Castellanos markets out until the end, and signing whichever one is stuck out there late in the off-season hoping for a decent deal. I don't think the Sox will do that, and maybe they already got one to agree at a level they wanted.

Castellanos does seem to me like a guy who might need to wait for his market to develop. Some team in January deciding that they could use another bat and entering the bidding for him at that point could be the thing required to get him to fair value.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m surprised Hector is doubling down on his buddy Frank Castillo’s Ozuna to the Sox news so hard.  If it doesn’t happen today, both will look like clowns.

That's why I believe it. Hector was right about Machado last year and I doubt he puts his rep on the line for something false, as he clearly cares about his rep. 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Why would the Sox want to wait until Wednesday to announce the deal? If there are other players looking to sign and possibly with the Sox  I would think this would show them the Sox are serious and are getting better.

• Like 1

I don't understand why the flying would need to happen though. There is enough eyes on this that the agreement in place is enough for it to be reported. The idea that he has an informal offer and he personally has decided he'll take the white sox but hasn't told anyone yet is an odd scenario. And there has been enough pushback that no agreement is in place that even if he signs here it's hard to believe this report was accurate.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

That's true, but I think they may even tell Ozuna and his guy to wait a few days. That was an egg in face leak from over the weekend that the Sox tried to shoot down. 

I don't understand this - what does it matter if it leaked before they can announce it? Why get all stubborn and hold off announcing it just to prove a "point" that a leak was wrong? Like, it's not going to be a secret from the other teams when he shows up on the field wearing our jersey, so why this push to keep a signing secret after it's agreed to in principle?