Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I don't understand why the flying would need to happen though. There is enough eyes on this that the agreement in place is enough for it to be reported. The idea that he has an informal offer and he personally has decided he'll take the white sox but hasn't told anyone yet is an odd scenario. And there has been enough pushback that no agreement is in place that even if he signs here it's hard to believe this report was accurate.

The only way that makes sense to me is if there's a physical concern that the team doctors want to examine in person.

11 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

How does his arm grade out after shoulder surgery? I've seen some comments he lost a lot of his velocity after the surgery. Statcast, I dont believe at least, doesnt post their OF stats publicly. 

It's basically impossible to get anything out like this. You get outfield assists and basically nothing else. Asking a cardinals fan is probably the best we can do.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

The only way that makes sense to me is if there's a physical concern that the team doctors want to examine in person.

True, just there was so much followup even nationally here. And if there was a physical concern...Marcell, my man, you do not want to be the one leaking you signed only to have it fall through!

1 minute ago, Saufley said:

Why would the Sox want to wait until Wednesday to announce the deal? If there are other players looking to sign and possibly with the Sox  I would think this would show them the Sox are serious and are getting better.

Again, egg on face leak from over the weekend where they had Bruce Levine and others stating it was false. To avoid looking silly, especially since Ozuna's side was probably responsible for the leak, I can see the agreement being in place, but on the hush until tomorrow or something. This wouldn't affect them going after other players. 

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I don't understand this - what does it matter if it leaked before they can announce it? Why get all stubborn and hold off announcing it just to prove a "point" that a leak was wrong? Like, it's not going to be a secret from the other teams when he shows up on the field wearing our jersey, so why this push to keep a signing secret after it's agreed to in principle?

Our FO is sensitive about their image to the fans and leaks. Them denying it over the weekend and then it goes down, makes them look foolish possibly in their minds. I'm not saying it won't go down today, but I can see them holding out a day. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Our FO is sensitive about their image to the fans and leaks. Them denying it over the weekend and then it goes down, makes them look foolish possibly in their minds. I'm not saying it won't go down today, but I can see them holding out a day. 

For our sake, if he signs today and they have medical clearance, I hope it gets announced today. I just think it would be foolish to try to hide or mask it for a few days. Just do it already!!

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I hear you, I think it just sounds pretty and childish for an entire organization to think and act that way. It's a business, not the playground.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Hot Stove getting interesting.  🔥  Sox may sign Ozuna and Willson Contreras just posted a picture of him walking through the Cubs clubhouse and had some post thanking God.

And then when Contreras gets traded it's bye bye!

18 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

200K followers but their tweets get no interaction.  I don't think that's a legit account.

Either its missing a sentence or this is on past tense.... If they wanted to say he was going to sign they would say firmara. Not firmaria

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Saufley said:

And then when Contreras gets traded it's bye bye!

I think people are writing off the Cubs a bit prematurely.  They were bad last year with 84 wins, something the Sox have only done 8 times since the strike. They still have several nice pieces. If they can get their bullpen in order, they still are a contender.

Admittedly I didn't see this money crunch coming. We were all led to believe the second they signed off on their network deal , they would have the cash to do whatever they want. Now they think that will take a few years. I doubt Theo will stick around for another rebuild, so I would expect them to do what they can to win. 

The Sox could easily have agreed to a deal in principle, pending physical and incentives/etc. The Sox would not announce a deal like that as final as there are things that can hold a deal up at the last minute, but from Ozuna'a perspective he accepted a deal in principle to the White Sox. That way, neither side is lying; the Sox are merely doing what they're supposed to and Ozuna is telling his family it's done. 

I don't think the Sox care about Bruce Levine's reputation, FYI.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run