Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox could easily have agreed to a deal in principle, pending physical and incentives/etc. The Sox would not announce a deal like that as final as there are things that can hold a deal up at the last minute, but from Ozuna'a perspective he accepted a deal in principle to the White Sox. That way, neither side is lying; the Sox are merely doing what they're supposed to and Ozuna is telling his family it's done. 

I don't think the Sox care about Bruce Levine's reputation, FYI.

There have been numerous reporters that aren't Levine that have said no agreement is in place and it is not that far along. So the idea that it's a done deal that isn't being reported seems hard to believe.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox could easily have agreed to a deal in principle, pending physical and incentives/etc. The Sox would not announce a deal like that as final as their are things that can hold a deal up at the last minute, but from Ozuna'a perspective he accepted a deal in principle to the White Sox. That way, neither side is lying; the Sox are merely doing what they're supposed to and Ozuna is telling his family it's done. 

I don't think the Sox care about Bruce Levine's reputation, FYI.

It isn't just Levine. Its Fegan and Heyman. If they say no truth to all of them instead of a no comment or I am not sure, ir is a bad move. RH doesn't always dislike leaks. They use these same guys to leak things he wants our there like bidding $125 million for Wheeler. A couple of days later to pull this when the info is already our there is being assholes. If is still interesting that no one except the guy in the DR has this and its supposed to go down in hours.

Just now, bmags said:

There have been numerous reporters that aren't Levine that have said no agreement is in place and it is not that far along. So the idea that it's a done deal that isn't being reported seems hard to believe.

What reports have said it's not that far along? I have missed those I think.

Regardless, why would this guy lie about what Ozuna's family is saying to him? Why does anyone trust Heyman or Nightengale more than this Domincan Reporter? Those two have been wrong just as often as anyone else. 

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Regardless, why would this guy lie about what Ozuna's family is saying to him? Why does anyone trust Heyman or Nightengale more than this Domincan Reporter? Those two have been wrong just as often as anyone else. 

Remember when Heyman said that the Sox top offer to Machado was 7/175 right after Gomez reported the 8/250 offer? Remember when Bruce Levine called Eloy's extension "pipe dream" after Hector reported it? I take Gomez and any DR reporter over anyone not named Rosenthal, Morosi or Passan.

Edited by Orlando
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

I have a question for everyone to think about, if you were to choose between Marcell Ozuna or Kole Calhoun, which player would you chose if you were the GM of the Sox and why?

Ozuna.  More offensive upside.  You didn't mention anything about money, so I'm not taking it into consideration

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Can you site a couple of examples of MLB stories this guy has broken? 

I doubt he is lying, but he may just have someone's opinion and not a fact.

6 minutes ago, raBBit said:

There are two possibilities here as far as I see it.

1)  Sox are close to a deal and reporter has details wrong.

2) Sox are being used by Ozuna's agent to put another team's feet to the fire.

The thing I wonder about number 2, though, is that the report was essentially "Ozuna to sign with the White Sox."  That doesn't seem like something that would get another team to up a bid.  Rather, they'd probably move on, thinking Ozuna had made up his mind.  I would expect an agent leak to be more like "Sox hotly pursuing Ozuna" or "Sox make aggressive offer to Ozuna that he is seriously considering."

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I have a question for everyone to think about, if you were to choose between Marcell Ozuna or Kole Calhoun, which player would you chose if you were the GM of the Sox and why? I’m just interested in hearing everyone’s take on this. 

Kole Calhoun, because I believe he will get a 1 year deal rather than a 3 year deal for substantially less money (The Halos just declined a $14 million option on him), he is solid if unspectacular at defense (Definitely not a major liability out there), and he gives us additional LH balance. 

6 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I have a question for everyone to think about, if you were to choose between Marcell Ozuna or Kole Calhoun, which player would you chose if you were the GM of the Sox and why? I’m just interested in hearing everyone’s take on this. 

Look at Calhoun’s numbers outside of last year.  It’s not pretty.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Can you site a couple of examples of MLB stories this guy has broken? 

I doubt he is lying, but he may just have someone's opinion and not a fact.

I don't have them available at my fingertips, but it's not far fetched to think a Dominican Reporter could get a scoop on a Domincan player who lives their in the off-season ahead of a US reporter. 

Orlando said it above, but the Eloy extension and the Machado talks; he was definitely more accurate there than someone like Heyman.

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

The thing I wonder about number 2, though, is that the report was essentially "Ozuna to sign with the White Sox."  That doesn't seem like something that would get another team to up a bid.  Rather, they'd probably move on, thinking Ozuna had made up his mind.  I would expect an agent leak to be more like "Sox hotly pursuing Ozuna" or "Sox make aggressive offer to Ozuna that he is seriously considering."

Also, don't think some dude from the Dominican would be the preferred channel for this. 

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Look at Calhoun’s numbers outside of last year.  It’s not pretty.

His 2018 was rotten but he's been a 2.1-3.5 fWAR player 5 of the last 6 years. He's been an average to slightly above average bat and an average to slightly above average glove almost every year. He has effectively 0 chance of dropping a 5 win season, but he also has 0 chance of being a $50 million bust.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

Are we still talking about the Castillo tweet?

'firmara' is will sign

'firmaria' would be a conditional 'would sign if' 

That is correct, I believe. If it were past tense, it would be firmó, or ha firmado, which is "has signed".

Edited by Lillian

Just now, Balta1701 said:

His 2018 was rotten but he's been a 2.1-3.5 fWAR player 5 of the last 6 years. He's been an average to slightly above average bat and an average to slightly above average glove almost every year. He has effectively 0 chance of dropping a 5 win season, but he also has 0 chance of being a $50 million bust.

What do you think the chances of are of Ozuna being a $50M+ bust?  Seems like his floor is a solid 2-3 WAR player.