Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't have them available at my fingertips, but it's not far fetched to think a Dominican Reporter could get a scoop on a Domincan player who lives their in the off-season ahead of a US reporter. 

Orlando said it above, but the Eloy extension and the Machado talks; he was definitely more accurate there than someone like Heyman.

So you have no examples but state he is at least as believable as guys who have made a living doing this for decades. That makes no sense. Mi

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't have them available at my fingertips, but it's not far fetched to think a Dominican Reporter could get a scoop on a Domincan player who lives their in the off-season ahead of a US reporter. 

Orlando said it above, but the Eloy extension and the Machado talks; he was definitely more accurate there than someone like Heyman.

His Eloy number was way off and that is why people said no chance. And he isn't the guy breaking this story.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Kole Calhoun, because I believe he will get a 1 year deal rather than a 3 year deal for substantially less money (The Halos just declined a $14 million option on him), he is solid if unspectacular at defense (Definitely not a major liability out there), and he gives us additional LH balance. 

I don't agree with Balta very often, but +100.  I would take Calhoun at 1/$6-8M over Ozuna at 4/$75M.  If we can get Ozuna at 3/$50M or less, the calculus changes a bit, but I find that hard to believe in this current market. The benefit to Calhoun or other 1 year options via trade is that we open RF up for a nice FA class next winter.  We also give Adolfo 1 more year to stay healthy and blossom.  

Calhoun is not my top choice by any means, but I'd take him over Ozuna based on the years and price 10/10 times.  I do think signing Calhoun does make the Sox need to find a better DH option than Zack Collins, though.  

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What do you think the chances of are of Ozuna being a $50M+ bust?  Seems like his floor is a solid 2-3 WAR player.

I dont' know but it isn't 0. His defense is acceptable in LF but not great, his offense has been acceptable but not great. People have noted how his batted ball profile is high velocity but messy in a way that makes him susceptible to shifts. An injury that slows him in the OF or a moderate dropoff in his exit velocity could put him at risk of dropping below that floor. 

Both of them, IMO, are risks to get worse next year. Probably more likely for Calhoun with his age, but one of them will be paid more for longer. The argument for Ozuna, the best one - he has upside that Calhoun does not have.

14 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Look at Calhoun’s numbers outside of last year.  It’s not pretty.

Yes. But if he reverts back, the team isn't married to him and could upgrade if they are contending. I will take Ozuna . It is certainly a huge upgrade to what has been out there the last few years. But he does has his red flags . But if his paycheck is going to mean going down a level or 2 with pitching targets, I would tell Marcell we will talk to you in February.

Edited by Dick Allen

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What reports have said it's not that far along? I have missed those I think.

Regardless, why would this guy lie about what Ozuna's family is saying to him? Why does anyone trust Heyman or Nightengale more than this Domincan Reporter? Those two have been wrong just as often as anyone else. 

"But sources tell The Athletic that there’s no indication of an imminent agreement with free agent outfielder Marcell Ozuna, despite a report from the Dominican Republic saying otherwise, and while appearing on 670 AM The Score on Saturday, Hahn reiterated another oft-repeated line that there’s no extra purpose to completing signings during the winter meetings."

Fegan

The idea that he's flying to US to finalize the deal would be at odds with this very clear pushback that there is no deal in place from multiple sources.

I didn't say the guy was lying but getting information from Ozuna's family members and the tweet that he said may also not be accurate, and Ozuna may very well sign with sox. But it's unlikely there is already a handshake agreement in place as multiple people have said that is not the case.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So you have no examples but state he is at least as believable as guys who have made a living doing this for decades. That makes no sense. Mi

His Eloy number was way off and that is why people said no chance. And he isn't the guy breaking this story.

Again, if you think it's not plausible that a Domincan reporter could get a scoop from a Dominican player then so be it. 

Jon Heyman is wrong about 95% of the things he reports in the off-season, so I'm not sure why he's being used as an example of someone who knows what he's talking about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

"But sources tell The Athletic that there’s no indication of an imminent agreement with free agent outfielder Marcell Ozuna, despite a report from the Dominican Republic saying otherwise, and while appearing on 670 AM The Score on Saturday, Hahn reiterated another oft-repeated line that there’s no extra purpose to completing signings during the winter meetings."

Fegan

The idea that he's flying to US to finalize the deal would be at odds with this very clear pushback that there is no deal in place from multiple sources.

I didn't say the guy was lying but getting information from Ozuna's family members and the tweet that he said may also not be accurate, and Ozuna may very well sign with sox. But it's unlikely there is already a handshake agreement in place as multiple people have said that is not the case.

I never said there was a handshake agreement. I am saying it's plausible the Sox made an offer and Ozuna was going to accept it, and he was flying in today to formalize things. 

I have no idea either way, but I think it's certainly plausible. This is a sport where people like Katyperrysbootyhole breaks stories.

If the Dodgers insist on having an unreasonable price for Joc and Ozuna and/or Castellanos costs more than 4/65 then I'm ok with Calhoun for 1 year.

Next year we can sign Joc just for cash anyway and since he can't hit lefties, the price would be probably reasonable. By that point, Basabe might be ready to be his platoon partner and like Joc he also provides good defense in RF. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

I know it's the first day of winter meetings.  I don't see the Sox linked to any pitching help. I know something will be done.  Just curious the options they are considering.

I think it makes sense that Bumgarner and Ryu will wait until Cole and Strasburg have signed as the teams who miss on those 2 could easily bid up the cheaper guys. Since the White Sox won't bid on the big boys, they're going to be waiting for the other guys to be ready to sign.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I never said there was a handshake agreement. I am saying it's plausible the Sox made an offer and Ozuna was going to accept it, and he was flying in today to formalize things. 

I have no idea either way, but I think it's certainly plausible. This is a sport where people like Katyperrysbootyhole breaks stories.

This seems most likely to me.  If the Sox simply made an offer, they would deny any rumor that a deal was in place (and they'd be telling the truth).  If Ozuna likes the offer and tells his family he will fly to the US to complete a physical and sign the deal, it could leak to this Frank Castillo guy.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think it makes sense that Bumgarner and Ryu will wait until Cole and Strasburg have signed as the teams who miss on those 2 could easily bid up the cheaper guys. Since the White Sox won't bid on the big boys, they're going to be waiting for the other guys to be ready to sign.

I don't think that is gonna happen. The Yankees and Angels may want Cole, but that doesn't mean they will overpay for Bum and Ryu. If teams in on those guys now start trading for starters or signing guys like DK, their markets will crash. 

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I doubt it. Just look at this thread. WSD claims and more than a couple have corroborated he gets a lot of info. I would imagine that info is coming from White Sox people. I would doubt he was the only one his source alone says something. It is 50/50 at best Jason Kinander had any idea who Joc Peterson’s agent was when he went on twitter. Personally, I think scouts are the sources of most leaks teams don’t want out there.

Very possible. You would hope they are being consulted especially if it is a trade scenario. But even FA signings must involve a "group" decision as to what the scouts have seen/heard about a FA target's most recent performance as well as clubhouse effect. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't think that is gonna happen. The Yankees and Angels may want Cole, but that doesn't mean they will overpay for Bum and Ryu. If teams in on those guys now start trading for starters or signing guys like DK, their markets will crash. 

The Yankees might not, but the Angels might. 

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Kole Calhoun, because I believe he will get a 1 year deal rather than a 3 year deal for substantially less money (The Halos just declined a $14 million option on him), he is solid if unspectacular at defense (Definitely not a major liability out there), and he gives us additional LH balance. 

and Calhoun doesn't cost a draft pick and money.  This is why I advocated so hard for Grandal who can hit 1-6 in a lineup.  Because of Grandal, the RF addition could have less offensive pressure and could slot more in the 6-8 lineup range.  I also prefer the LH balance addition.

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Really hoping this happens.  Also surprised folks aren't more pumped about the possibility of Ozuna.  He's a masher still in his 20s with a 6 WAR ceiling and a gold glove.  It seems like his stock has fallen around here over the last year for some reason (maybe it's the shoulder), and I don't get it.

6 WAR ceiling?  His best season was in 2017 and he was a 5 fWAR player.  2.8 and 2.6 last 2 seasons.

And the GG is meaningless.  He is, at best, an average LF with a poor arm.  That won't translate well to RF.  

I don't think anyone has an issue with the bat, but its just a question of fit.  I think punting OF defense is super stupid, so that is why I am not gung-ho on the Ozuna train.  I also think paying anywhere near 4/$80M for him is just going to be bad news.  I'd be more receptive to the whole thing had we not resigned Abreu for 3 years for no reason.  

Ozuna would be a huge upgrade, but he isn't a perfect fit by any means, commits the Sox to poor OF defense for at least the next 3-4 seasons, and takes the Sox out of the running for much better RF fits next offseason.  I certainly don't want them to go into 2020 with Leury as the RF, but there are options that shouldn't  cost much via trade or FA that are nice 1 fits that make much more sense to me, personally.