Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

6 WAR ceiling?  His best season was in 2017 and he was a 5 fWAR player.  2.8 and 2.6 last 2 seasons.

And the GG is meaningless.  He is, at best, an average LF with a poor arm.  That won't translate well to RF.  

I don't think anyone has an issue with the bat, but its just a question of fit.  I think punting OF defense is super stupid, so that is why I am not gung-ho on the Ozuna train.  I also think paying anywhere near 4/$80M for him is just going to be bad news.  I'd be more receptive to the whole thing had we not resigned Abreu for 3 years for no reason.  

Ozuna would be a huge upgrade, but he isn't a perfect fit by any means, commits the Sox to poor OF defense for at least the next 3-4 seasons, and takes the Sox out of the running for much better RF fits next offseason.  I certainly don't want them to go into 2020 with Leury as the RF, but there are options that shouldn't  cost much via trade or FA that are nice 1 fits that make much more sense to me, personally.  

According to BaseballReference he had a 6.1 WAR season in 2017 -- two seasons ago.

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

I dont know whether it is or isnt, but its 1030am in San Diego and Ozuna was still in the DR last night. 

Fair, always seems like shit happens before noon though. Could just be confirmation bias fro Wheeler, Grandal, Machado. 

All this reminds me of Jermaine Dye signing in the 2004 offseason. 

JD could be penciled in for 2 or 3 war season and he was coming off of some "meh" seasons in Oakland still coming back from his leg injury. The big question mark from Sox fans back then was "how's his defense gonna play in RF". We all know how that ended for the Sox. 

Unless the Sox overpay dramatically for Ozuna, I don't see how this isn't a massive upgrade over Ryan Cordell, regardless of what Ozuna's projected WAR and batted ball exit velocity ratings are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

All this reminds me of Jermaine Dye signing in the 2004 offseason. 

JD could be penciled in for 2 or 3 war season and he was coming off of some "meh" seasons in Oakland still coming back from his leg injury. The big question mark from Sox fans back then was "how's his defense gonna play in RF". We all know how that ended for the Sox. 

Unless the Sox overpay dramatically for Ozuna, I don't see how this isn't a massive upgrade over Ryan Cordell, regardless of what Ozuna's projected WAR and batted ball exit velocity ratings are.

It's an upgrade, but just because things worked out with Dye doesn't mean they will go the same with Ozuna. 

Just now, Sambuca said:

I’m definitely not saying the rumors are true, but why wouldn’t the Sox FO deny this until it’s a done deal?  

It makes zero sense for them to admit they are finalizing negotiations with a FA, and they certainly don’t owe these reporters anything.  

He could have just said nothing instead of saying he called Hahn to make sure he wasn't senile. 

1 minute ago, Sambuca said:

I’m definitely not saying the rumors are true, but why wouldn’t the Sox FO deny this until it’s a done deal?  

It makes zero sense for them to admit they are finalizing negotiations with a FA, and they certainly don’t owe these reporters anything.  

yeah leaning towards not true, but agree with you here.